Register now to get rid of these ads!

So i buy an old dragster chassis laying in a back yard.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Power, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

What happened to, "buyer beware?"

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

At this point, pictures are all that is needed. The only reason for me to have the car itself would be for tube sizing and sonic. From the pics we see that there is no shoulder hoop as described by the specs nor any uprights and diaganls within the drivers area and the front rollbar hoop is straight up and it is bent and unsuported where it is welded to the upper bar. The front and rear section is of no matter to me because that part is not involved during the certifecation process, although the rear section is of poor design if the builder considered it finnished. So taking that into account whereas one needs to repalce 90% of the tubing from the front firewall to the back, why put in the time or money to do so, and for that sake a couple hundred dollars more to finnish up the front frame section.

Don, without seeing the rear end housing or the front axle assy and by not knowing what he paid for it , there is nothing left on that car with any true value, The steering wheel? $10-maybe, MQQN peddle? can by a new one for $38 (hyd are prob shot anyway), would you use a 2+year old m/c thats been left out in the open, and the steering box is some iron automotive type and not a P&S. So for you, what would be the right price?

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Because on this site,some people are of the belief that If they own/build something that it gives them the right to do anything they want with it, which includes being able to race it anywhere.

4. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Go get a beat snowmobile, and a 1.125 kart axle set up. find a 1/8 strip and have fun..

5. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

If you find yourself overwhelmed, call me witha take it away price.. I'm just over the bridge.

6. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

"Have you ever looked at some of Garlits early chassis?"

That was almost 60 years ago.

Racing is inherently dangerous, but why not build the safest chassis that you can? Just a question.

7. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

Not to mention endangering the life of the driver in the other lane.

8. Another thread on the HAMB turns into a pissing contest. Hooray, you both win 50 internetz.

Let's see the other stuff that came with it before we rule it all out as garbage -

9. afaulk

afaulk

QUOTE=Lytles Garage;8534963]Have you ever looked at some of Garlits early chassis? would you guys tell him he was a Fuckin idiot for getting in one? The NHRA rules have made you guys into a bunch of what if this and what if that happened scared to death pussy's. Hot rods are meant to be a little bit dangerous, if they weren't why bother? I think Flat power, (and his Dad) know a little about building cars,He never said he was going to run it the way it is, but as usual on here, you guys are all experts on everything and open your mouths without even knowing who you are talking to! so lets hear how much of an idiot I am, and I don't know a Fuckin thing about anything! I'm 61 years old, and i've probably backed up in a Hotrod farther, than most on here have driven forward! NHRA really means, No Hotrods allowed!! I matched my AA/G Blown alcohol 33 Willys for 2 years , all over the west coast passed every tech. everywhere, then some Fuckface tech. "official" didn't like the way I built my roll bar, in effect it's just his opinion against mine,He would have fit in here real good !THANKS Chris[/QUOTE]
    OK, I read the entire thread, again just to be sure and the only time the term "Fuckin Idiot"was used, is in the above post. Several guys tried to give him good advice. So.....why don't you get in your Willys and back up some more Chris? While you're at it try to get that wad out of you panties. :rolleyes:

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

And while we are at it so we dont become too pussified, lets make our own 2 speeds and run them without blankets--just so we can live that much more on the edge.

Why are we even disscusing a rear engine car on here anyway? My misake.

11. Wow, I come back to this? :eek: Get your licks in quick, guys... I see the clock ticking down on this one.

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Cant happen fast enough

13. My money is still on it being for a jet.

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

couple of ESTES AAA

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Damn...

Strange and Interesting find. Thanks for showing the pics. Would enjoy seeing the rest of the parts if this thread can remain intact...

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Maybe the car was being built as a sand dragster; it's probably been bounced around through several people, who all did their "thing" with it, and now it's yours. Am I wrong, or is the front end set up for a transverse spring? In the late 80's, shortly after the Econo-Dragster concept caught on, I bought a RED, that had been a FED originally. Whoever had done the work was'nt a chassis maker by any stretch of the imagination, and I put it back to it's original FED configuration (and no, I'm not a chassis maker either). This was also at the time when NHRA started going "overboard" with rules. Every week had a new set of rules; restraints having a 2 year outdate, requiring an SFI flexplate AND an SFI flexplate shield (?), multi-layer fire suits for different classes (fire's fire, right?), and on-and-on. It's why I finally quit drag racing, shortly after finishing my RED, Super Comp Dragster. IF you have an outlaw track to run it at, build it; if not, it's yard/garage art. I think you'll find, with drop link style steering, the steering will be too "quick" for a RED (Garlits did also). Stick a flathead V-8, or a GMC six in it, and have a little fun. I still have my 3 layer fire suit, but no use for it any longer; it does'nt even fit now. Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. I am thinking an unfinished sand dragster also

18. brewster55

brewster55

good thing thats not either. spin on filter, and side mounts.

19. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) Any idea how the rear portion was formed?

2)

i would have to disagree with this philosophy for the following reasons:

a) Any car operated in any situation---even on the street poses some level of risk. Why take on necessary and avoidable risk? There was a time when no fire suits, breather masks/respirators were used. Should we go back to that to prove how brave we are?

i don't think Darell Gwynn with that philosophy either.

Yes, you are more of a man than i am. There is no dispute there. But i can still move under my own power. Why is this?

3) Actually, the car could raced all day at slower than 10.99 (or whatever the certification cut off is) at a sanctioned track. Or quicker at an independent track.

i personally would not attempt to drive it until thoroughly checked out and gone through.

Perhaps the best thing at this point is to have it go through nhra tech. Then see/understand---thru the tech sheet, exactly what needs to be changed/added to pass certification.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I won't enter the dick measuring contest since I'd lose. :) But good on you for saving it. I don't know squat about it, but I'd try to restore it back to what it once looked like, as a static display/preservation of local drag racing history. Post progress pix if you do.....and good luck!

21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You are mis-informed on that

any dragster must meet the minimum specs as outlined in either the rulebook or spec. sheet regardless of ET, It is required that they must be inspected and tagged (every 3 years) if they go quicker than 10.99.
    Otherwise one could build an 11.01 car out of conduit and braze it together

22. RYANS/AC

RYANS/AC
    from Cali

I hate to jump in as one of my first post being here. But for real if you were to roll into an NHRA sanctioned track. Even if you were planning on running 18 second passes, they would tell you to load up and go home. I am sorry but that car is really not worth scrap metal. Ive been running pro comp 7.90 dragsters and super comps for many years and I do know what I am talking about. Not to mention the bar behind the head with the dimple drilled holes, are equivilent to what comes on swing sets and BBQ grills. Also from what I can see there has NEVER been a rear end and or a motor mounted on that chassis, wheres the mounting tabs for either of those components.?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  23. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Ya'll are crazy getting all worked up about this. This guy just posted his snag he didn't say he was headed to the track. That said... I am pretty sure this was built/re-built for sand drags..>>>>^^^^^ it has a damn radiator!!! I'd like to see the other parts and under the skin, please...... jez now that we have judge jury and executionererered this guy. I'll probably never have my old parts hoarder what did he get that I didn't itch scratched on this one.

24. BobG

BobG

You don't want to try and race that car, That's a backyard home made chassis, not even a kit car.
    I can tell by looking it's not built safe
    Who knows how thick the chassis is besides it's most likely rusting from the inside out.
    Man there are way too many Rear engine dragsters for sale cheap that you can buy for less money than it would take to complete that thing.
    I have Clayton Harris's ex Top Fuel car complete roller for $3500 and it has a complete mag Dana, chrome front end, rear wing, and it's been updated with a new cage and modern body.

Attached Files:

25. BobG

BobG

I wouldn't scrap it, I'd put it together with a mocked up dummy motor, some old wheels and tires and paint it up and sell it to an automotive shop or Drag Strip or even a Sports Bar to be used as a sign.
    Widner Automotive in Colorado Springs used to have an old rear engine car as a sign on top of their building that was real cool looking.

I would say someone had good intentions when the started building the car... Before 1988 NHRA didn't require sportsman chassis to be certified.
    You could go out and buy just about any old car and race it as long as the safety equipment passed tech... NHRA didn't even require dated seat belts before 87.

I'd almost bet when someone was building that chassis years ago the certification rule came along and knowing they didn't build it to specs they gave up on it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  26. Im sick of rules this and rules that.every time i go to do something someone is always telling me. You cant do that. Even in my own yard. What a bunch of crap.if you want to fix it fix it.use your judgment and tell every one who dont like it. Piss off, no matter what i built someone always got crap to say about it. My 2 cents!!!

27. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

In his post, the OP says he is just looking for info on what this was used for and if its even possible it could be run again. He doesn't even hint that he is going to race it, or even use parts from it. Sound like it was for sale cheap enough that it was bought out of curiosity. Some of you guys sure blew up fast. You all made your point that its not ever gonna pass tech, now back off unless you can definitively answer what it was originally used for. Jeez...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. BobG

BobG

Your going to find several Barney Fife's in Tech but it is what it is, NHRA has their set of rules and you have to go by them or go somewhere else.
    It's not near as easy as it was years ago.
    I've had a lot of real nice Dragsters and Funny Cars in the past that wouldn't come close to passing tech today and a few of them were famous championship cars.
    for example.. I had Jeb Allen's World Championship Top Fuel car in 88 and it wouldn't pass specs to bracket race today.
    Like they say "ALL RULES ARE WRITTEN IN BLOOD"

29. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I like the idea of putting it together for static display. Yard art, sell it to a shop or bar...maybe even let the kids or grand kids use it to play in.

30. RodStRace

RodStRace

It's garage or wall art. Cool for that.
    Hope the parts you got are either usable for that or can be refurbished for a new set of tubes...
    Enjoy...
    [​IMG]