Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP SBC - oil pan and engine year?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Jan 14, 2013.

1. kscarguy

kscarguy

I am having lots of bad luck lately. Last night, when swapping the newly painted engine into my 41 pickup, I dropped the bolt from the chain into the engine...right down the distributor hole all the way to the bottom. DAMMIT.

The engine is a mexican made crate motor with the dipstick bump on the drivers side.

Anyone know how to identify the year of these crate motors so I can buy a new pan gasket? (It looks like it takes the early style 55-79 gasket, based upon the oil pan shape, but I am not sure.)

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

you know (at least now) that you always stuff a rag or put some tape over any and all openings that go into the engine. This is a segment of Murphy's Law which is related to the butter side of toast also.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

4. Shawns49

Shawns49
    BANNED

They make a one peice gasket for small block chevys that is made for all years , thinks its 24 bucks at Autozone ( I work there and recommend these , super easy to install and no leaks).........Shawn

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the Felpro and Victor gaskets come with both end rail gaskets in them.

According to the fel-Pro add on Summit the cut off is 1975 for thick or thin end rubber so I'd think yours in post 75 up to 85 that uses a two piece rear seal. if it has the round crank face rather than the older style flange on the back of the crank it is a one piece 85 & later.

Here, you can sort through the list on Summit and then go to the local parts house with a lot better idea of what you need http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/fel-pro/product-line/fel-pro-oil-pan-gaskets/make/chevrolet

6. kscarguy

kscarguy

I took another look and the pan is bumped out on both sides for the dipstick...

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

8. 76cam

76cam

Most sbc oil pan sets come with both gaskets in them you just tear out the spot for the bump.They are pre cut where you tear them.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There is also an EARLY cutoff in the '55-79 range that requires a different thickness front seal, but I think most kits contain both thicknesses there.