Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 3 speed won't shift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowbuckers, Jan 13, 2013.

1. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

Fellow hambers hopefully anybody may have some insight I had to replace the 3 speed in my c10. My buddy and I replaced everything and as I got into it and started it it was in first then shifted to reverse now it won't shift out of reverse I did notice the shifting the shift age linking arms are rubbing together as I get under the truck and do it by hand it shift smooth but seems like all the gears don't move as far as reverse? Any ideas or where to start?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. you need to adjust the linkage. disconnect the linkage, put both the tranny and shifter forks in neutral and adjust the length of the arms accordingly.

3. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

ditto to above.

4. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

What has been said above. If you still have problems make sure you correctly installed the shift forks. You didn't state what year the truck/trans, but most of those have an offset to the forks and it is real easy to get one flipped over the wrong way. This will keep the box part way in one gear and cause it to jam.

5. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

The truck is a 65 c10 the trans is a 66 c10 3 speed thank you guys for the advice hopefully I will get to it next weekend and keep you guys posted thanks again I will start there

6. Simple fix just follow the advice above,,sound like the linkage is hung up. HRP

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, Along with making sure that the shift arms on the trans are in neutral make sure that the shift arms on the column are in neutral.

8. Nelsen Motorsports

Nelsen Motorsports

I drive a 59 Chevy 3 on tree and shifter got hung up once. So I rocked the car back and forth while trying to move shifter and it got unstuck. I drive it every day and this hasn't happened since I lubed the assembly.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Take a good look at the shifting mechanism on the column where the shifting rods hook up. Sounds like its gotten sloppy from wear. Take a good look at it and see how it works. Its pretty simple. You'll probably have to move one or the other of the rods by hand to get them lined back up in the neutral position so you can start all over.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What all the other guys said !!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

11. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

Perfect I hope it's all as easy as you guys say it is it's a floor shifter so this week after I work seconds I'm gonna get it up on stands all cleaned up under there and give it a go this weekend again thanks to everyone with the great advice learning about manuals as I go my roadster is an automatic

12. dubie

dubie

the 3 speeds are famous for hanging up between gears. I had a lot of issues when it was on the column but once I put the shifter on the floor, it worked perfect

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Just make sure the wheels are blocked securely !

Ask me how I know.

14. good point!
    had a friend remove the shifter on a camaro on car ramps at the top of his driveway. dragged him out and into the street. road rash from head to toe.
    we refer to the incident as; the nut cracker effect.

15. the shifter should have a 1/4" hole through all the shift levers, that line up when they are in neutral. use a drill bit to keep them aligned while you adjust the rods.

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Double check the detent mechanism in that 3 speed......It looks a bit like a scissors, with a small spring. That spring has a reputation for breaking, and it'll go into 2 gears at once. Easy to check and fix.....just remove the side cover, clean and inspect.

After that, rig as described above.

4TTRUK

17. Window Licker

Window Licker

I helped him install the trans it acts like the 1-R fork to is behind the coupler and not in the groove like it should be. So it pushed it into reverse but cannot pull it out of reverse

18. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Pull the side cover and look at it. With no load on it, you should be able to slide the 2-3 drum and low-reverse slider easily by hand. Get it in neutral, then take the side cover and make sure both levers are in neutral, you may need to turn one or both of the forks, as they have an offset so that you can bolt the cover back on and have it be in neutral. Not to be giving you a hard time, but something I always do is shift it through the gears on the bench. If it doesn't work on the bench it won't work in the car. Try it in each gear, and make sure its free in neutral.:)

19. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I know yours is a floor shift,but those year trucks are notorious to hang on the colum .Everyone I ever had had to learn the combination to shifting it:DOnce I did it was theft protection:DI could drive it and never hang someone else could tryin drive it and boom locked up:D

20. Window Licker

Window Licker

The offset in the forks could definately be the issue. I think its just a matter off starting over with it in neutral and putting the cover in neutral and reassembling

21. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

I hope so bud see you Saturday morning hopefully to make it somewhat roadworthy again lol hope those springs work bud.

22. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

Guys you were dead on and window licker an I got the trans buttoned up and ready to go thanks again for everything greatly appreciated

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, re; the offset shift forks,.....I forgot that detail..... Definitely have it working perfectly on the bench.....as Thunderoad suggested.

4TTRUK