Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wood beds done right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cowboy_101, Jan 12, 2013.

1. cowboy_101

cowboy_101
    from Lavon, TX

anybody out there have any good pictures or instructions with dimentions for installing a wood bed on a stepside? i've got a few different options and am looking for more ideas. just need to make sure all my parts are there. ie...
    8 boards,
    4 @ 5 1/4"
    4 @ 7"
    3 cross pieces
    any detailed pics would be fantastic.

2. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

3. TomWar

TomWar

My 58 (Sold)with Cherry and ash Bed.

Attached Files:

4. these guys are a wealth of information.

http://www.mar-k.com/

I've purchased from them in the past. The holes drilled into the cross sills dictate the widths of the boards needed......and they've changed widths every few years with the Chevy/GMC trucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

6. mastadon

mastadon

Hi,I'm not sure what type of finish you want on your wood but I will tell you my experience with our two trucks,keep in mind that both live out side in the brutal Texas heat.The 1st try was with my wife's 55 and I painted the wood with exterior grade oil based paint and within a year it was fading and peeling.then when I built my 51 I went with a high dollor marine grade clear varnish.In 6 months it was peeling.Removed boards and stripped off varnish.Painted boards with POR15 sanding between coats then sprayed on single stage acrylic urethane gloss black.Still looks like new after 2 years.I just finished my wife's truck 2 weeks ago but did it in white.Now if you want the wood to be natural I would spray it with automotive clear.A little long winded my my 2 cents.

Attached Files:

7. I used the same folks, worked out real well. Used HOK black and several coats of Southern Polyureathane's Universal clear w/UV protecter for finish.

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      360.8 KB
      Views:
  8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^^ Those black boards look the business.

9. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

If you want black without paint use ironwood...it actually clanks like iron when you knock on it