Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Business Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevtrev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. castleman1111

castleman1111

tell me you don't get sick of sayin' "thanks"???? lmao!! looks like yur havin fun!! i'm waitin for someone to say yur car sucks and so does yur work!!!! lmao!! i bet you would laugh yur ass off!!! best wishes 4 a new year!!

2. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I will never get sick of saying thanks. I appreciate everyone that posts positive feedback on my 53 build. If someone doesn't like my car or my work then that is their opinion. Best wishes to you too for the new year!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

Fantastic work bumper is bad ass.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. Lookin' good bro.....time for some pick and file.

5. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Very impressive the work you have done there.

6. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Made the best of my last week of holidays by getting the back end of my car finished up. Spent wednesday and thursday tig welding and grinding everything. Today Frank (HAMBBONE) from our c.c. came over to show me a few tricks hammering and smoothing out the sheet metal I had welded up. The drivers side had some previous damage that was just filled with bondo, we got that hammered out. A few bits still need shrinking and once i get my hands on a disc, should be able to smooth it out even more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few bits to play around with on the splash pan that i should get done this weekend. After that I am going to finish the modifications to the bumper, these include: filling holes, exhaust cutouts and reshaping to fit body better.

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

The car looks good, that is some really fine work

8. rokcrln

rokcrln

I don't post much on here but I came across your build this morning and was glued. You look back when you said you have never used an E-wheel and now look at the top notch quality work you are doing and it is down right amazing. I do a lot of metal work and body building and I am very impressed with your approach, detail, quality and over all flow.
    Great job and thank you for taking the time to post.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

rytang likes this.
  9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

awesome work dude, top notch

10. hotdamn

hotdamn

man you dialed that tail pan in!!! those bumper termination pieces took it from awesome to perfection!!!

rytang likes this.
  11. great job, I often read this thread without posting :cool:

love that kind of attention for details !

12. Patrick46

Patrick46

WOW...phoenominal workmanship!!

and I can't even imagine how you're gonna make this fit the body even better!

13. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

The gap between my bumper and quarters is not consistent as it was shaped for a Pontiac. Once the body work is done I will correct this. The top of the override needs to be shaped to follow the trunk radius.

14. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

We got a streak of nice weather here in BC and I got to work on the car outside today which was awesome! It was a bit chilly but the sun was warm.

[​IMG]

My buddy Jay (Schaefer) came over today to help me work on the car. I got 55 fender trim for xmas from my folks and we taped it onto the car today to have a look. I love it! Gonna set the car off once the head lights are swapped.

[​IMG]

Because I am waiting on my exhaust tips to arrive, decided to start tackling the proper fitment of my trunk. As you can imagine, the factory fit was horrid. We corrected the highs and lows around the edges and got it fitting pretty damn good. I will need to close up some larger gaps with metal and open some up next time.

[​IMG]

15. schaefer

schaefer

Yesterday was a good day of playing with the car out in the sun!

16. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

I hate how my trunk fits. My best boy has a 53 as well it his fits like shit too..i cant imagine buying a car new in the 50's and looking at a trunk that fit like that and being stoked on my new ride.. anyhow gotta love those factory GM door and body gaps!! Keep up the hard work...

17. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

I know what you mean dude. Bit of massaging and it should all start lining up. Just takes some time.

18. Mate, every time I come back to this thread your car just keeps getting better and better.
    The rear looks so complete even though it's not finished, can't wait to see what you do with the front :)

19. FrankyV8

FrankyV8
    from Holland

I've just been reading this thread from start to page 22 and I can't get over the transformation on your car. That ass looks so damn fine!! It all just flows so good together. I wouldn't even paint it, just looks so bitchin in bare metal. Thnx for giving me(us) such good look on how things needs to be done.
    Cheers, Frank

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  20. Man, i really dig that car. Nice job man.

21. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks dude, I am excited to work on the front but there is a huge list of stuff to do before I start anything on the front end. I got a set of bezels now so I'm ready to go when its time.

Thanks Frank! Glad you got some information out of my build that you can use towards your own. I have learned a load from this amazing website as well.

Thanks!

22. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Weekend update. Got a bunch of work done today and a bit last night on the car. I finished up my second to last garnish moldings last night after work. Just needed to be welded.

[​IMG]

After grinding.

[​IMG]

Today I started fixing some of the bigger gaps on my trunk. In the end only the passenger side needed filling. The lower gaps are all too tight and will have to be opened up next time.

[​IMG]

Jay came over today and while i was working on the gaps, he started making pieces to fix the back side of my override. Because it was peaked when the bumper was first mounted, the back edge looked wrong to the back on the trunk. We got the filler pieces tacked on then I welded them up fully.

[​IMG]

Here is on side starting to look good. This took a lot more work than I first thought but I am starting to get a feel for metal finishing my work.

[​IMG]

Once I had finished the filler pieces I mounted it back on the car to scribe and cut the new rear edge. I wanted it to flow the trunk radius. Here is the override back on the car and looking close to being ready for chrome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next weekend I hope to start tackling the rest of the bumper. Need to start laying out my exhaust cut outs and metal finishing the remaining bumper pieces.

23. BadLuck

BadLuck

Killing it bro! You're making me want to tear down mine and redo it! Awesome work..

rytang likes this.
  24. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

very interesting and talented build ! :eek:

25. RayMiller

RayMiller

Haha your almost done with yours and its killer!

26. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Your car is looking so nice man. No needing to tear it down. I love how mild and clean your body mods are. Keep it up bro!

27. You're '53 is coming along really nicely. You're metal working skills are top notch!

28. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

That bumper is fantastic.

Could you explian your technique?

I mean, is it tig welded? did you remove all the chrome or just where you welded it?
    what kind and grit# disc did you use to final grind? the raw finish is perfect. How did you keep from warping it? short stich welds? or a series of tacks?

Godspeed
    MrC.

rytang likes this.
  29. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

The 53 is really turning out nice Trevor, its kinda hard at times to see how nice things actually are on Ig since its such a small screen but the quailty on the big screen is amazing , , which i knew anyways its just always nice to see your work ,

30. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks mitchell

I will try and give ya a brief run down on how I finished my override. Im sure there is other and better ways but this is what I did and it worked out great. I only use TIG now to weld on my car, more control and easier to work with. I cleaned off the chrome where i was gonna weld. I worked from the center outwards and tacked it every inch hammering and checking for a flush fit as I went. Then I welded it up inch by inch, moving around to not overheat the piece, you can use an air blower to cool it down too. Once welded, i dressed the welds down with 80 grit roloc till i was almost flush then filled. Any places that pulled during welding were corrected with hammer and dolly and then back to grind, file, sand. After it was almost there i went over it with my DA with 80 grit. Any low spots need to be hammer or filled with weld then repeat. Hope that helps.

Thanks Cody. Appreciate the facetime chats and giving me some helpful information!