Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint product question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by von birch, Jan 13, 2013.

1. von birch

von birch

I'm looking to airbrush a ice hockey goalie mask. I know I can make it look good, but is there a recommendable product to use to help the clear coat's durability? Theoretically it would be getting hit with hockey pucks, so it needs to be extremely chip-resistant. Maybe a flexibilizer or something?

I've tried to find answers elsewhere, but not finding anything helpful. I know it's not directly hot rod related, but I wondered if maybe someone could offer advice or there was some sort of chassis clear coat that might be more resilient

2. ev88f

ev88f

Flex agent for plastic bumpers maybe?

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You need an inter coat adhesion promoter. It isn't the toughness of the top layer that matters.

4. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

The flex agent won't work well. It stays pliable for awhile, but eventually it will harden. It is primarily made so that during assembly of flexible parts they won't crack or chip. What if you coated it with Line-X , Rhino liner or a similar product first, then airbrush over?

5. colordeluxe

colordeluxe

Forget the flex additive, adhesion promoter is needed if the mask is bare plastic. The main thing is to activate your base color so it will crosslink with the clear. Use a good quality high solids clear and let it air dry.

6. One Shot sign paint makes a product called Ti -Cote clear. HRP

<center>
    </center>

<center>[SIZE=+0]A waterborne primer/barrier intended for use on most flexible synthetic favrics including untreated (non-ERC) banner materials, canvas, leather, leatherette, naugahyde and most synthetic awning fabrics.[/SIZE]</center>

7. von birch

von birch

i understand the importance of the adhesion promoter, and the helmet is small enough and thick enough that it doesnt flex very much, my main concern is more or less impact resistance.

8. If the mask shape isn't too complex(compound curves), maybe cover it with clear wrap or 3M clear rock protector film?

9. J53

J53
    from WI

Adhesion promoter as others have stated and then just paint as if it was anything else and it will hold up just fine, mine all have. Airbrush as much as possible to keep paint thickness down. Keep in mind, although at a high speed, a puck is a blunt object and the mask will move and absorb some of the blow. Its not like a stone hitting a car fender (fixed object), that's where chips come in. It's no different than painting any other helmet, gas tank, car, etc...

10. von birch

von birch

hey, thanks, that's a big help. definitely didnt expect advice from someone who has done it before here haha.

11. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

What level hockey ? I have a clocked 98 mph slap shot, and I aim at helmets...
    But I can promise you leaving the helmet in the gear bag is harder on the paint job then any game

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. von birch

von birch

im just doing it because i like hockey and i like painting. im not a goalie, im just going to paint one up for the hell of it, but im also trying to put together a little custom paint resume for myself. i just play with the old guys in the beer leagues anymore. i clocked a 92 mph back when i was playing regularly. and yeah, i agree, maybe ill get a helmet bag to sell along with it!

13. paint2live

paint2live

I agree, this is your best bet. and remember its not bulletproof its paint

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I did one for my buddy Ron, in Candy Brandwine, to match his car. Just did it in all HOK materials, including clear. Held up OK.