Register now to get rid of these ads!

Po' Boy Tech. How to make body hammers from scratch.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StevenH, Sep 7, 2012.

1. StevenH

StevenH

Richard,

I had the same thing happen just now. I refreshed my screen a couple of times and waited to start scrolling until it had finished loading and all the pictures showed up.

Hope this helps.

2. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done, and thanks for the thorough showing of the build up pictures.
    Michael

3. deto

deto

That's awesome man

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. IWB

IWB

That's cool as can be. You could sell those.

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

You deffo got my vote.
    Here where i live no tool shop has body hammers! I have yet to find a place that has them. Not that i searched recklessly, but still.
    Ill sure give it a shot the next time i need one. You got my vote fer sure.

One Q:
    How you do the concentric circles b4 curving the face? you have it mounted on a bearing or something? Cant think of goin around it with a grinder could make a decent result.

6. Clevername

Clevername

Steve,

You need to work on your photography, but I think you got the hammer down!

Props,

Kelvin

7. StevenH

StevenH

Thanks Bonez. In response to your question I do just go around the face with the grinder freehand. if you use 80grit or so and just don't apply alot of pressure it turns out all right. Then you even it up with 100grit on a sanding block and go on up through the grits. Everytime I've done it it turns out pretty good(even finish-no lows/gouges).

Kelvin,

Yeah I know. I worked on it forever but it wouldn't focus. I would have had to put the parts on a backdrop for every shot. Hopefully you can see what you need to in spite of my poor skills:D

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

ah, you do it free hand? Will try, but i kno my shaky hand will not get much of a good result. Then again, thinkin about it, it doesnt need to be perfect...

9. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Nice!!! I thought it was a pain in the ass to weld spring steel though?

10. StevenH

StevenH

I've had no problem just keep the heat extra high on the welder. I wouldn't weld to spring steel and hang it on a car, but for this it works fine.

11. sr808

sr808

The hammer looks great. It's good to know that you can make exactly the shape that you might need.

12. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Is there a specific reason you used spring steel? Is it because of the hardness?

13. StevenH

StevenH

Yes. The hardness makes the face more resistant to nicks. Keeps you from having to polish it so often.

14. garman34

garman34

I like hammers.

15. weldtoride

weldtoride

Steve, real nice job on the hammer. Great way to get the exact look, feel, and balance you want in an heirloom tool to boot!

As far as the weld holding up, you are right, welding spring steel is problematic, but in this case I don't think the weld is under much bending stress.

I made a flat die for my Milwaukee planishing hammer by welding a leaf spring chunk to a grade 8 bolt shank. A bit different that mild steel, but it has held up well in my planishing hammer so far, and it hits way faster than Steve can. No offense, Steve.

16. jazz1

jazz1

I made this one out of 3/4" solid stock welded to steel tubing and bolt shafts for the heads..the handle is an old broken axe handle that's been hanging about the shop for years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]