Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you abuse your parents cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 15, 2008.

1. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

My buddy and i worked for my dad delivering prescriptions in a bare bones 6-cyl '68 Nova with a powerglide. By accident we discovered if you jammed it into reverse at 40 mph or so it would lock up the rear wheels.

Damn thing never did break.

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I beat the crap out of my parents 69 Biscayne with 250-6 and THM 350. Reverse drops at 40 were a nightly occurence. finally broke the frame jumping it. Not proud of it, but it sure was fun

3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I have a reverse story, parents went out of town and came home, dad jumps me about thrashing the trans in his car, makes me buy and install new one.... I never touched the damn thing while they were gone. My moms Mercury, well it got abused :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

Nope, sadly. did put a scratch in my moms expedition when the brakes went out in our f100 but heck she was standing right there and it already had a dent in the same spot (not even sure if it was me to be honest) i did however steal the mustang once, not to long ago. First week we owned the car i went and had duplicate keys made, not for this reason but it worked out, and i never put the extra on the "extra keys" keychain i have in my room, weeks go by and my parents and little sisters are going to LA to watch a basketball game, so im home alone for about 4 hours.sitting there watching tv and the phone rings, friend asking if i wanted to go to the movies with him and his girl, its their first date his sister was taking them "youre going to look like a bitch rolling up with your sister in a gay ass black hundai. . .ill take you" "yeah sure you will" so i wash up, grab the key, put 20 bucks in the tank so i dont have to call explaining how it ran out of gas, and go pick my buddy up. now this doesnt seem all the great until you realize
    1.the car isnt registered in any of my family's name yet
    2.im 17 without a liscence
    3.im picking up two minors
    4. (the best part) my buddy's mom and sister are home

show up with some raybans on feeling like bueler and a million bucks in this shiny 65 mustang, honk for him to come out, go pick up his lady and off to the movies he went. dropped them off and went around joyriding for an hour or so, tried to race a nova and lost, tried to do a big ass burnout in my ex girlfriends driveway, failed, so i went home. parked the car and called it a night. and ill be damned if my parents werent home soon enough that if they had touched the hood it stilll wouldve been hot. never doing it again

5. Among the many times.. Throttle stuck wide open - coming down the driveway - on the 383 powered 64 New Yorker. Long driveway, maybe 150 yards straight to the front of the house. My brother through the shifter up into either park or reverse and POP something blew and it died. We pushed that heavy muther in, over to the garage. Then we popped the hood- it started right up no problem, but give it a little gas and that lump wanted to jump right out at you. Two broken motor mounts.

6. blue57ford

blue57ford

Dad's vehicle? No.
    Shop car? Yes.

I was 12 when I learned to drive so I had to make due with a 1981 Toyota Creseda. I will say that inline 6 it had had no problem smoking the tire. It was a fun car and it took what I gave it.

7. Ah Yah its a right? of passage .Oh the stupidity of youth as if my Dad didn't know or more likely chose not to ask!

8. gsport

gsport

nope, they didn't have anything worth abusing. i got my license on my 16th birthday and had my own car that same week.. 59 ford, two door i paid $25.00 for

9. spinner

spinner

dad said so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

put me on the list of people who didn't need to cause more problems than they already had in childhood. not to get snarky, but i realized early on, whether i did something silly to impress people (like buy $200 sneakers) or did what i enjoyed doing instead...i'd get the same level of attention from other people. so why try to break something that would just cause me to not have a set of wheels?

then again, i was raised on stick shift cars...you don't need to drive crazy to be entertained with a stick shift :) maybe its the automatics that made someone want to do something more entertaining than shift into Drive and clutch the steering wheel?

11. Never drove the family car ever. Dad was worried if there was an accident, my fault or not he wouldn't be able to get to work so it was off limits. I had to save for local driving school lessions & use their car for my licence and then get my own car which I bought for $100.

12. My Dad had a caddy that had a 472 in it.

This thing was the power brake ,smoke the tires ,dig a ditch in the road king.

I would take it up to the gas station where I worked on my days off All the local motor heads hung out there.

I would put the windows down in the coupe-De-ville and when the smoke would start filling the car would let go of it.

Did that a few times till dad caught me in the act.....He didn't see the humor in a 2 year old car and the fact he had to put a new set of tires on it. Which I was starting to work on.

I thought I was smart enough ....work at a gas station .... rotate the tires no one will know. :D

I read this aways back......When I was 16 Dad didn't know anything but when I turned 21... I Did not know how he got so smart in 5 years

13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

If they only knew. But it was dad's fault. He taught me and my brother everything we knew. Dad was a gearhead himself.

14. Chefbiz62

Chefbiz62
    from Omaha, Ne

I never got to but a neighborhood friend alway did. They had a 67 Galaxie with a 390 4vC-6 and he took the brake shoes off the power wheel. The car did amazing power brake burnouts. Never have seen so much tire smoke in my life and an inch of rubber on the pavement, that seemed to be there for years!! Tires went from brand new to blown out in a couple of days. Also had a 72 Ford full size wagon that was well known for doing Starsky slides in the middle of a 4 lane street just like the Torino from Starsky and Hutch TV show from he 70's

15. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

my older brother beat the crap outta my old mans 36 pontiac, i however drove his cars nice, true ! i drove the shit outta mine but always used his as my backups, now i wont say so much for the back seats of a 49 plymouth , 50 plymouth, and a 74 & 77 new yorkers but i did drive them really nice all the way to the parkin spots !

16. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Only completely.

17. My father told me a story once, went like this -
    "In high school, one of the neighbor kids came from a rich family. His parents had just bought a new 442(69 or 70 I think) with a 4 speed and a 12 bolt posi. After school one day, the kid told me to stop over to look at the new Olds. When I got there I realized his parents weren't home, and the kid threw me the keys. He wasnt good with a stick, and knew that I was. So we took it out in the country and did some burnouts with it, and he kept telling me to push it harder and harder... The last time I dumped the clutch, just noise.. I crawled underneath and saw both the tailstock on the tranny, and the snout of the rear and had broken off. Didn't see much of that neighbor kid after that... "

18. As for me, I love whipping doughnuts in my fathers 68 caddy with the top down. Seems like the rockers are gonna scrape the pavement sometimes. Running down dirt loggig roads in his 68 Lesabre convert was fun too..

19. Dad , would let us drive his cars, is was only fair not to abuse borrowed wheels.. Since I would need them to get to work till I bought my own....

20. Almost DITTO, no wrecks. However, at at HS dance two assholes decided to fight on the hood of my Dad's 1961 Buick special. They left a fist size dent in the middle of the hood. I tried to hammer it out. To this day I do not rememder if Dad found it not.

21. das858

das858

Yes, every day. My folks had a 1966 Plymouth Fury with a 383 4-speed and I street raced it regularly.

22. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

How far off the ground do the tires have to be before it's considered "abuse" !!

23. There has to be more " BANNED " memebers on this thread than any of the other threads on the whole forum LMAO!!!

24. deto

deto

In moorpark ca there is an industrial complex where the train used to run through. On one side of the tracks were the loading docks, an the other side was just ground level. Well when the train stopped running through, they connected the 2 parking lots. It ended up being a 45 degree ramp about 10 feet long with 200 yards of pavement in either direction. Somewhere there is a picture of a 97 suburban with at least a foot of air under all 4 tires...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. Normant93

Normant93

When I was in High school (mid 70's) my dad had a '70 olds Delta 88 4dr hardtop with a 455 4v, posi and the police package. It would spin those L78's forever without doing anything more than flooring it in Drive. It seemed to take forever to get the burnt rubber smell out it, probably why he didn't let me drive it much!

26. GREASER815

GREASER815

Well......I only did it every chance I got. They never did understand how rubber got stuck to quarter panels, never happened when mom went for groceries.

27. Apittslife

Apittslife

No, But One of my step-fathers borrowed mine ( 71 Maverick W/351 ), & drove it into a Semi, The Bastard lived! He wouldn't pay me for the value of the car, & my Mother took his side & said they didn't need too, as I was to young to have a drivers licence in the first place.

28. Since both my parents are still alive (89) I choose to not disclose the worst of my stupidity towards their vehicles back in the early 60's. My first infraction would take place when I had invited the next door neighbor over to ride in our '57 Buick which was parked in the garage. I was barely 15 and she was 14 and we had both been left home alone this particular evening. Having her sit right next to me, radio on, engine running felt like I was heaven. As I put my arm up on the seat back, heart beating faster, I put the car in gear and looked over my right shoulder getting a glimps of her baby blue eyes as I'm scaning clearance behind me. Gave the car some gas and the next think I know I hear a crunching sound as I had inadvertently left the car in drive instead of reverse hitting the brand new house front door that my folks had purchased earlier in the week that had been left resting right in front of the car. Those Buick bumper guards left a nice half moon indentation in the lower wooden panel that is still visible to this day when I drive by the house whenever in Southern Calif.

29. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I did it a couple of times, but the best was on his '63 Plymouth Valiant 170/automatic. 101 HP!! I would rev the little 170 in neutral and push the button for 1st gear and the tires would barely spin, but they did leave a tiny black mark....One night Dad was sleeping and I took the car ( I was about 14). I was doing my rev it an drop in in low trick when the rear end went clang-clang-clang!!! The car wouldn't move and I was scared shitless!! I messed with it and found out that it would back up! I backed the thing about 5-6 miles home. Since we lived on a hill, I could coast it down the hill and into the carport. This was Saturday night, Car wasn't moved Sunday. Monday when Dad backed out of the driveway he put it on gear and Clangity-clang-clang!!He was NOT a mechanical guy and had no clue what had happened...I was at the breakfast table when he came in fussing about the car....I asked him "What did you do to it??" LOL!!! He had not one clue I had driven it...I told him the truth about 20 years later! LOL!

30. ty johnson

ty johnson

My Mom had a Trans Am. When my Dad built the engine he put a 600 Holley on it. I used to borrow it and would swap the 600 for a 750 and that thing would come to life. Won several street races, also backed it into a guard rail once(OOPS!). Told my Mom and Dad several years later, my Dad laughed, Mom was pissed. LOL