Register now to get rid of these ads!

60's custom questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2POWERADDERS, Jan 9, 2013.

1. 2POWERADDERS

2POWERADDERS
    from VIRGINIA

So I go by a guys house that a picker and allways has cars etc and other junk and he tells me he has a Barris 50 ford....I dont know anything about these kustoms....what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. 2POWERADDERS

2POWERADDERS
    from VIRGINIA

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics:D

3. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Don't see any Barris crests on the fenders, doubt that is Barris.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. 2POWERADDERS

2POWERADDERS
    from VIRGINIA

barris crest?
    what is that?

5. well the steering wheel is a fairly new billit item

it does kinda look like acar done in the late 50's early 60's but updated though

6. its a cusiom emblem barris had made and then put them on every car HE "made"

on the fenders

7. lawman

lawman

Now, that is a "Show Stopper " !!!!!

8. Heo2

Heo2

its like the vette engines
    they all are

9. 2POWERADDERS

2POWERADDERS
    from VIRGINIA

gotcha the guys that owns this car is sure he has a barris custom....lol....he wants 26000 for this thing....i dont think its worth it....but i dont know./..

10. Mustang Shifter, billet steering wheel, and what looks like a Goodguys window entry sticker on the seat. ????
    Later,
    Dick

11. Heo2

Heo2

and this one is uggly to

12. 2POWERADDERS

2POWERADDERS
    from VIRGINIA

and whats up with all the carved wood on the interior pirces? lmao

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ed Roth built my T Bucket. I want $75,000. NO tire kickers!:D

14. Squablow

Squablow

I remeber seeing pictures of a shoebox similar to this one that was supposedly built in Canada and had that same unusual '58 Edsel station wagon tail light arrangement to it, I wonder if this isn't the same car?

I agree, looks like it could have been built in the early 60's and just updated a few times, maybe mid 70's for the shifter and custom van looking console and 10 years ago with the steering wheel, rims, and rear view mirror.

Highly doubt it's Barris, but with some details corrected, could be a really neat custom. $26K seems a bit steep but would depend on a lot of factors. If you could document the history on it, and depending on the drivetrain and condition, it could be worth it to the right guy.

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

If your refering to George,he & SAM built cars til 67 when Sam passed away after that?
    The Barris crest::

Attached Files:

16. At $26,000, I think it will probably continue to rot in His garage !

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

It looks like it's a newer build, or it has been updated. Rikster would probably be able to answer you for sure, but it doesn't look like a Barris car to me...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. yeah im refering to george i know sam was abuilder not questioning that what i meant was george taking credit for other builders cars and putting his crest on them

george was a photographer not to be an ass but can you name one car he actually built? himself? id really like to know for sure if he really did build one

19. John Denich

John Denich

Larry Watson told me George used to do do alot of work on most of the cars back in the day....and he was painter also...Watson told me that on many occasions!!!! I still dont understand why people continue to be dicks to George!

Show me one car that George himself put Barris badges on a car they did not build??? Most of the time its other builders putting them on to get more money for their car!

20. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

That might have been a mild Barris kustom in the 50's that someone less talented redid in the 60's or 70's.
    The chop, the Impala top scoop and the frenched antennas are the only things that look 50's and something that Barris could have done.

If the current owner knows who the name of the original owner who supposedly had Barris kustomize it, then the car's heritage could be traced.

That is the worst interior ever!

21. High5

High5

It'd be pretty easy to determine if in fact George Barris built it. Just call him and find out. Here's the link:

http://www.barris.com/contact.php

I like the exterior. But that interior is circa 1970's.

22. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Great, this is going to turn into another George Barris knocking session.
    Do yourself a favour and read the article in the link below and actually learn how it went down before you start kicking the guy in the balls;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385721

Sam got out of the game the way before he died in 67, sometime in the very late 50s I do believe, to become an insurance salesman or something similar. George is still at it now. Which one is the real car guy?. Yes, he has undoubtedly made some wild claims and is an unashamed self publicist who has done nothing of note since the early 60s. Me personally I couldn't care less about that. Just read that article, that's what I care about.
    Paul

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Too bad, your "t" would be worth a $100,000 if tfeverfred built it.:D

24. jbh

jbh

If you are anywhere near the Tidewater area, Cecil Profitt was a local builder from that area who did many full custom builds in the 70s-80s. Looks to be one of his.
    Jay

25. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

What Kripfink said!

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Nice intrior.....for a van. some people.

27. Squablow

Squablow

28. brad chevy

brad chevy

Who cares who built it. It looks like it would be right at home in Mexico. Anything descent under the other tarps ? Old George was a great designer but until some pics,not stories of him actually doing the work many won't believe it.