Register now to get rid of these ads!

'37 Pontiac Sedan - FOUND?! -Pan Draggers (Hayward)- Survivor??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnsettledParadox, Jan 11, 2013.

1. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i saved this car from going to the local junkyard, picked it up for a mere $300 with the intentions of dropping a later model pontiac v8 and probably a 3 spd auto just for ease and simplicity but once i got to digging around i started realizing this may not be just another 30's era sedan field find.

i popped the hood and was thrown back at the sight of a '57-'58 371 olds rocket v8 already sitting pretty with finned valve covers and a space for 3 dueces to sit on top. looks to be a sag or muncie trans but it has no shift linkage and no driveline although the clutch linkage actually works.

so im digging out the interior (which is surprisingly all there) and i inevitably end up in the trunk; JACKPOT!! i found the carbs, weathered but complete. mechanical linkage, a flywheel, stock bell housing, headlight, oil filter housing, tail light set (which is nice because the car had its passenger lens housing replaced with a drivers side license holder), grill/hood chrome, some pulleys and a CAR CLUB PLAQUE!!! Pan Draggers, Hayward! suddenly the extra license holder, the olds rocket motor, the trans....it all made sense!

i did a little research and found the Pan Draggers are mainly from Fresno, Ca although there seems to be some smaller branches in other locations (hayward, walnut creek). could this car have belonged to a member? could it have been built in the late 50's, early 60's and through some stroke of luck was lost/forgotten/sold and landed on my doorstep? i dont know but this car is old school cool! some friends of mine have had pontiacs in these years also, one was a '38 4 door sedan and the other was a '37 coupe so i know im in good company.

anyhow, without further ado: some preliminary photos, enjoy!

that stupid roof rack was just set up there, its gone now ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that s a pretty coooool find , dig the trunk treasure , good save

3. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Quick, go buy some lottery tickets!

4. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Nice save, good for you for picking it up.

5. F&J

F&J

Change the title and add Olds Rocket. The Olds guys will dig this.

6. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Very cool! I usually find rats nests in the trunk.

7. shoebox50

shoebox50

8. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

i know there has to be some hambers that where around the hayward area. that mite remember the car.

9. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. eppster

eppster

Great find !!!

11. Cool find. It always amazes me what some people junk.

12. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I call dibs on the moon gauge panels, if you ever want to part with them. Definitely a great score....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. HRS

HRS

That's great. Lots of cool parts there.

14. An amazing find with some cool history. I never get tired of looking at old iron.

15. hellerods

hellerods

good save, some guys have all the luck!! I'm just sayin'

16. Muttley

Muttley

Royalshifter needs to see this.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Amazing to find what you did....send the plaque my way I will take great care of it?

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

There are Pan Draggers here in Portland... Bet they'd be stoked to see that. Sweet score!

19. F&J

F&J

It is somewhat uncommon to see a 57-58 with a std trans, and very rarely do you see a 4 speed used back then. It makes me think someone spent some money on the motor,too.

Have you pulled a valve cover to see if it has adjustable rockers?

20. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

21. There was a kid named Farmer in Portland who had a 6 cylinder 37 Pontiac 4 door just like that one. I usta ride with him occasionally..[69-71]
    I don't remember him being in a car club tho..

22. That is an awesome find. Wish i could have found some stuff like that in the trunk of my "38. It is nice to see that complete cars are still out there though. If you ever go to upgrade the drive train let me know. Im looking for a Rocket for my car. Good luck with your new to you toy. Adam

23. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Wow, A radio and sport steering wheel still intact!
    Lucked out there

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Great story, great save! Good on ya. Beautiful car, good luck!

25. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ponchos had the koolest humpbacks. Whats the plan?
    Lotsa work, but 30s cars are so worth it.

26. Slantback

Slantback

Awesome, very cool!! Big plus to have the hood trim and grill center section. Did you find the other eight pieces for the grill?

27. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

thanks guys! the car is in stellar shape, no cancer so we're working on getting the interior ripped out, front clip off and see what sort of shape the running gear is in. i still dont know what rear end is under the old girl but i know the tri-5 chevy rear bolts in perfect. i think a buddy has stock wheels and he also has a certain likeness toward the americans on it now. id like to wrap some steelies in wide whites and see where the project takes us. it may be in primer driving around this summer, who knows! this is going to be a real fun car and its a great opportunity to join the ranks of so many other luxurious 30's era rides. one thing is for sure, this car is old school cool and has history oozing, its too damn cool and has to be saved

28. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i never did find that chrome, sad about that but im even more sad about the lack of a radiator. there is a glass shop in town with all the paterns for oldie cars and he cuts glass pretty cheap. i found some pictures of another pontiac a friend had, its a '38

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Does it look like the motor swap was ever finished and has been driven,I am thinking about a 57 371 for my 37 Chevy p/u and curious how they hooked up the clutch pedal and mounted the motor.

30. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

it does look like it was finished and worked, want pics?