Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel pump shank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BORRACHO13, Jan 12, 2013.

1. i have tried the search function and did not find any info so here it goes...

i have a 67 327 i am building for my 1950 chev

i am trying to get a fuel pump at my local part store. they asked if i needed a short shank or long shank pump. i did not know as i did not remove the old pump.:confused: i purchased a bare block and assembled myself.
    what exactly is the difference?

as i do research on the net to find out, i can not come across any info. maybe i am just looking in the wrong spots, so i decided to ask here.
    the engine is basically stock, except for the mild isky cam, roller rockers, weiand intake and it was bored .040 when i got it. it is just going to be a cruiser for me so more like a daily driver with some balls.
    i do not want to put the wrong pump in and find out when its too late.
    any info would help

thanks

2. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

A Chevy pump is a Chevy pump. The will all bolt up and work, the only difference is line size 5/16 or 3/8 and two line or three. If I were you I would find a different parts store, one with old paper cataloges and a guy with greasy fingernails behind the counter.

3. i have no idea what they are talking about with short and long shank

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. XXL__

XXL__

Maybe, in addtion to greasy fingernails, the guy had wax in his ears and heard WATER pump... in which case, there are several varieties, including "long" and "short."

6. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

SBC BBC share the same pump.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Use any Chevy gas pump.

8. thanks guys! thats what i thought, they just confused the shit out of me when they asked. i had never heard of such a thing but they had a price diff of like $10.
    i will trust my instincts and go else where.
    btw it was an autozone and the only reason i went there is because it was close to home.
    not putting autozone down but the service at this one is not that great..

thanks for the help guys much appreciated as always
    loyal H.A.M.B.er

9. XXL__

XXL__

Oh, there was a price difference? I think the one that was $10 more was the "long shank" version (or did he say "shaft?" :) ).

10. there is no long or short shank. tell them you need a fuel pump for a 69 chevy truck with a 350. thats the two line pump, with out the return line. napa # m6624

11. Thanks for the info will do...

What is the 3rd fitting for on one with 3?

12. Lol I think they were tryin to give me the shaft :eek:

13. return line to the gas tank for a little later models with emission equitment.

14. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

The old reliable go to for SBC parts, unless its a HEI part. Then its a 1975 half ton with a 350.:D

15. upspirate

upspirate

Stupid question, but if you are going from bare block,you do know there is a push rod that has to go in first to drive the fuel pump?

I changed my 327 over to a mechanical pump from an electric one and had to buy the push rod...I go it at Advance A/P

16. Yea I bought the rod. It didn't come with it either lol

I have been piecing this engine for a while now and have had to figure out all kinds of stuff that didnt come with the block. It's been fun and I've learned a lot but I gotta admit sometimes figuring out what you don't know since you didn't take it apart gets kinda tough at times.