Register now to get rid of these ads!

New u joints and strap bolts on 60 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Jan 12, 2013.

1. I pressed my new u joints now my question is do the straps go right over the u joint caps on the rear?
    [​IMG]

2. Sorry for the dumb question. Its just been a while since I took it apart. Thank you by the way.

3. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

4. If this is your sarcasm then you shouldn't post here. Its not your thread. Thanks

5. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

donot over tighten

use safety nuts /loctite?

recheck

6. Well the kit came with the straps,nuts and lock washers. Which lock tight should I use? Also does anyone know the torque specs?

7. Print a universal torque chart off the web. It's a good guideline on torque by thread. Guess I've been lucky...50-some years of doing this and never used a torque wrench on u-joint bolts or u-bolts and none have fallen off yet.

Next week maybe.

Charlie

8. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

4k and some odd posts and you are asking about U joint straps. Yes, that was sarcasm.

FYI typical torque on U joints is 15lbs. Overtightning will cause premature wear. The nuts you recieved should be lock nuts. Any locktite is fine.

9. slammed

slammed

How long you been here on the HAMB, FNG? And what, 3 times you posted about 'taking ball bats to knees'?

10. Yeah pretty childish...

11. What's with all the drama on here lately? Guy just asks about something he forgot. Simple question for most of us that might seem silly but an honest question nonetheless.
    Use the lock washers and tighten evenly and you'll be fine :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. Thanks! I appreciate it.

13. deto

deto

Sons of anarchy doesn't start til September so being a tough guy on the HAMB is the next best thing. It's just a theory...

14. daddio211

daddio211

Ha ha ha... I think you're on to something!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. Haha that was great!

16. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

And that has what to do with this post?

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude asked a perfectly valid question. Another dude made a sarcastic, irrelevant and disrespectful comment about it. Welcome to the HAMB.

18. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

Sorry but I dont watch that crap. Now if youre refering to my posts to people getting screwed by builders, some people handle things differently than others when they get screwed out of money. You must be the type that rolls over and takes it dry. People keep getting screwed by shops because they allow them to continue doing it.

19. slammed

slammed

Time is drawing to close FNG.

20. Ok. So lock washers and torque evenly and you're all set to go right?? No need to talk about other locked threads or reality tv? Good.
    Btw. I am extremely sarcastic and would make all kinds of jokes if my apprentice asked this question. But this is a hot rod site. We're all in different places. I learned pretty quick not to mock strangers on the Internet. I mock my employees and family instead :)

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Takes a real badass to go for a weapon when things go wrong. Yep, sounds like a TV program to me.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Advocating violence, on this forum, which is PUBLICLY VIEWABLE, is something that reflects poorly, not only on you, but on the rest of every single one of us on this board. You do yourself, and the rest of us no favors in doing this, even in jest. It portrays a false image, of the rest of us, at-least, that will not serve us favorably with the general public. There are enough issues that we all have to deal with regarding the general public and our pass-time, in the form of misconceptions, legislation, ect. that we don't need this kind of crap as well.

You are entitled to your opinion, and to express it. When it negatively imputes the character of the rest of us, don't be surprised if we call you out and castigate you on it.

23. Gimpyshotrods makes some good points. The only problem is he made me go look up the word castigate. Means pretty much what I thought.

24. Rob68

Rob68

I'm a newbie and I learned something here today. That's why I'm on this forum-to learn. Thanks for the post.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're welcome:
    [​IMG]

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's why there's no such thing as a stupid question.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody starts at the top. I have several decades in this, and I learn every single day, multiple times.

28. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

Sorry pal, I dont need a weapon to right things. I simply made a coment to a guy that felt he was being taken advatage of. It was evident that he had no intention to confront shop owner, only look for sympathy on the interwebz. Its hysterical that you take things so literaly.

"Everything on the internet is gospel and 100% factual"

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I just call 'em like I see 'em. Pal.