Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do they make wood paneling for wagons???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by STUNNED MULLET, Jan 12, 2013.

1. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Good morning everyone, I am looking at a 54 Plymouth plaza wagon for sale in my area, and it is screaming... SURF WAGON!! I am curious to see if they make any type of wood paneling for cars? I can't find anything on google. Please let me know. Thanks!

2. Joey7319

Joey7319

you can get wraps made in any pattern you like.

3. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Do you know of the name of the company?

4. Joey7319

Joey7319

I use a local sign maker. maybe google Vinyl wraps.

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Vynil wraps are somewhat tacky specially wood ones, think 70s Gran marquis etc.....
    Ive seen guys do their own, didnt seem all that difficult, althou needs to be done well or it looks like crap.

6. SMITTYtheSMOKER

SMITTYtheSMOKER

A mixture of real wood trim and vinyl can look decent. JMO

I'm tempted to do the a same with an old 50's long roof.

7. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Some painters can do a great job producing faux woodies. And GM made steel woodies for a number of years ... think paint.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

All the pictures on Google show no wood trim at all. Real or decals.

9. I replaced a decal wood grain on a 66 ford country squire along with the wood looking plastic trim suround once, never again.

10. Tommy,here's one but I know absolutely nothing about it,,it's just cool. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Royal town and country was MOPARs moniker for their upscale wagons.

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

13. ken1939

ken1939

Most of the Factory stuff is long gone. I am on Stationwagonforums and they have the same issues. Not many places make an exact replacement either.

http://woodgrain4wagons.com/ This is one place I kept bookmarked as a handy source. Its a start none the less.

Also consider some of the self adhesive wood veneer that is sold in some of the upscale wood working shops. I think we have a woodcrafters in our area and I looked at what they had, it comes on a roll, and is self adhesive and can be stained.

http://www.woodveneer.net/wood-veneer-products/wood-veneer-sheets/

I would get on Station Wagon Forums and do some more searches there.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The old Detroit fake woodies used DiNoc vynil and plastic or fibreglass around the edges. You could paint fake wood grain and cut wooden trim for around the edges or just paint it. I think I would paint it. It isn't hard with a little practice. Paint the area tan or biege, smear on the dark color and work it with a feather, grainer, or rag. When it is dry clear coat for protection.

15. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

You could get some paper backed wood veneer (there's an almost unlimited choice of wood types and grain options) and apply it with contact cement. Then attach maple strips, rabbited to fit the veneer for the surround with some carriage bolts. 8 coats of any good spar varnish, and you're done. Easy. Well, except for actually doing it. The most difficult part will probably be shaping the wood surrounds so that they will form to the curves of the doors. There is an article in this months Woodie Times magazine that illustrates how it was done on a Chevy Fleetline, so it can be done. Good luck!

16. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

DiNoc is still around and made by 3M go to the 3M website and do a search for DiNoc

17. boldventure

boldventure

18. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Painted woodgraining .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Another option is to do the woodgraining in paint, yourself. Jdee (used to post here) works at woodgraining.com., and sells kits to do it the same way they did back in the 30's-40's, with metal patterns, and foam (silicone now) rollers to "print" the woodgrain patterns on.
    Works VERY well, and you don't have to be a talented painter/grainer to get a realistic look. He has many wood grain different patterns to choose from, and can advise on what colors to use for realism.

20. rfraze

rfraze

You can buy some hardwood plywoods locally or special order others. Look up hardwoods in phone book or google a supplier. Mostly available in 1/4", possibly 1/8" or door skins for forming. Another option is multi layered core (can't think of what is called, mostly used for drawers) if you want stability. The veneers mentioned before are an option also. You probably have already googled hardwood veneer suppliers. Hardwood plywood is just better quality core with whatever veneer you choose, or can find, already installed. Veneer can be shipped by the roll, but YOU have to laminate it to something. You might have to pick up the plywood or pay for delivery because of the 4 x 8 sheet thing. Some suppliers will cut to ship or offer cut sizes.

21. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Back in the seventies I refinished hundreds of Coca-Cola machines with DiNoc wood grain. Also did 2 GMC Suburbans with it. The stuff is tuff. Applies well and lasts 20+ years out in the sun. It ain't cheap!