Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I take it you like orange? Avitar and Stapp frame? The Brewer/Stapp car is a great find, especially the fact that it is a single tube. Glad to see you removed the "Sissy Bars". You have done a lot in a short period of time, keep up the good work. Looks like the finished product will be a beautiful car.

How the car got from IN to PA to NJ could be a story in itself. Maybe BZNeil can hook you up with a "frame wisperer"

Blacki-Suede

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Blackie-Suede,Thanks!! If I had more extra cash it would be alot farther but I've come down with that dreaded disease Mafundsalow, and My buddy Billy/RacerBilly C. Who is a general contractor has been working 5 to 6 days aweek after the hurricane here in Jersey plus wrenchin getting 3 midgets that He will be crewchiefing on this season ready. I have a little history and photos that I've gotten from Jerry's son JL and Josh and Dan Shaw. It's after it left Brewer's that is blank til It ended up in PA. And even that info of the time in Pa. is fuzzy between Lynn Paxton and the guy Bill Tower that I bought the car from. The Info I got from Steve and Andy Stapp on it's beginings was a great help. I'd like to find the rest of the history and a list of it's previous owners from 1978/79 til 2012 when I got it to help if I should decide to go for the AACA awards. The most important thing I wanna do is get it out on the track and PLAY So If any one has any info that can help me will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.......................Rich

Attached Files:

3. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

I've seen SBC rods used as steering mounts before, but never quite like that. I've NEVER seen a bolt holder like that though! I guess they never heard of safety wire :) Stuff like that just makes the car unique, unlike todays "cookie cutter cars".

4. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's the newest addition to my fleet, I used a AMT Grant King sprint car kit for the hood and tail, found the driver on ebay, sorry I forget the seller. I used a sprint plus chassis and lenghted it to meet the S.C.O.R.E. 1/24 sprint car rules for slot cars. Decals a vintage AMT and custom numbers that I had made. I tried to copy the roll cage from the rear car, I'm pleased with the end results. I have been wanting to use these body parts for a while to make a slot car. So far the car runs good too, just need to breaker her in a little more. Hope you will enjoy this post, of course comments are always welcome, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

A little video action from WCVR SC Nov Event at Havasu Speedway

Green Flag at 6:00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzNd99Xiig

To: WCVR SC, WRA Dist List
    Subj: In car video Midget Feature Havasu 95 Speedway
    11-9-12
    In car camera- Lake Havasu's Mike Luddon in his #3 1969 Trostle Midget "West Coast Special"

Start at 6:00 min
    Video credit to Michael Wade
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzNd99Xiig

also- Link to our photo album of this event
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Havasu Nov 9-10 2012/?start=all

Don't forget to watch for this event coverage in upcoming Vintage Oval Racing Magazine issue.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Does Pep Boys sell the hangers too or do you have to go to the Plumbing store to get them?

7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

lee- great looking car,nice to see slot cars that are "scale".Even went to the SCORE site to check it out.looks like a fun group!

8. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

A few more Stapp pics for you, BZNEIL. This was Steve's house car, 1964-1966. Later owned by George Snider, Jerry Mann, Charlie Chariot, Bobby Albert and others.

Attached Files:

9. HOTROD98

HOTROD98
    from idaho

Seeing as how you guys were talking about Stapp Sprinters, thought I'd show you my Stapp 4 bar car converted for asphalt. I have no idea what year it is, hopefully you guys could help me out! I've raced it in the vintage sprint car races and it is AWESOME! The guy I bought it from said it was a '72. (?)... I'll post more pics when it was just the chassis.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. Hotrod 98......stunning.........

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If you're gonna bolt your driver in the car at least give the poor little guy a fire suit, that's just cruel! :D:D

12. guffey

guffey

trainwreck2.jpg
    I thought I would post what I have found. Bruce Kraft bought the roadster from Jim Leonard of Elmira New York who was running it as a supermodified at Oswego. Kraft had a couple of mechanics named Doug Emery and Bill Jolly. The owner before Unique cars was Ed Cellini from Cullom Il who moved to Michigan?? Maybe someone knows one of them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  13. HOTROD98

HOTROD98
    from idaho

Thanks Black vette 59! I've been lurking for a couple years, and the car you are building is AWESOME!! Nice work!

14. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

NEW SUBJECT: Does anyone have information about California racer Floyd Glidewell,&, when he stopped, his drivers 'Buck" Whittmer & after Whittmer's death, Raymond Horst (also noted as a midget driver)? I've heard many stories about these racers, but would like to know more, as Horst was one of the people who started me chasing racecars in the '70's. Now that he's gone (2010) I would like to know more about him & the people he raced with & for. Thank you. ...drtrcrV-8

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Hotrod98 that is one beautiful piece of machinery. It just screams race car. Thanks for sharing the photographs.

16. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Lee:
    Nice job on the slot car!!

17. Lee love the slot car......whats on the the rear tires?.......Hotrod 98... thanks for the kind comments....

18. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Beautiful cars larrypfitz and HOTROD98!

19. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Ditto!

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Lee, the car looks great. The driver needs a five-o'clock shadow, grease on his Tee shirt and sunburned arms and good to go.

21. baldtireman

baldtireman

Is the #6 Dobbins/Stapp the car restored by Ed Norton from Michigan?:confused:

22. .......got this for Christmas....now I only have to come up with a paint job I like,and then I can paint the 1:1 model in the garage.....

Attached Files:

23. deuce354

deuce354

Hi guys, Just finishing up my three year big car project. Going to Guy Shivleys next week for some gold leaf lettering. Was built in 37, raced by Fritz Tegtmeier in the 40's. Raced IMCA, AAA, CSRA. with a DO Hal. I put a Cragar conversion on a B block in it. Hope you enjoy. This thread is now 1000 pgs, who would of guessed!Congradulations guys. Deek

Attached Files:

24. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Not that it seems a big deal to all, but this blog just hit a little milestone with page 1000. :D We need more emoticons.

25. ...deuce354.....it does you credit sir,a beautiful car...

26. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I have Floyd racing from 1946 to '58 (the Riverside 500 on Memorial Day is his last entry, he crashed practicing on May 24 and was injured). He mostly drove his own cars (a Buick special in '46 & '47, then a Hal special and finally his Offy #31 from 1952 onwards), but also the Merkler/Hisso #404 when it was owned by Will Fry during 1951, winning at Calistoga May 31. Like Fry, he initially installed a supercharged Midget Offy in his Big Car, but by 1957 he had a 270 in it. Other drivers having had seat time in Glidewell's cars include Bud Sennett, Al Benoit, George Mehalis, Dick Meyer, Don Rossi and Art George, the latter taking over the repaired ride at Riverside after Floyd's accident only to crash during a qualifying attempt five days later! It was, apparently, the end for the car as well as Glidewell's career in racing, both as a driver and owner. Hometown mostly listed as San Leandro/Oakland, also Hayward and San Lorenzo (??).

Howard "Buck" Whitmer was a former motorcycle racer who turned to cars in about 1932. He was very successful in independent events in California, and made a few tours of the Midwest and East in 1937 (CSRA, Central Pennsy and MDTRA), 1940 (AAA and IMCA) and '41 (IMCA). Did qualify for a AAA main event at Williams Grove (July 4 in '40). Drove for Charley Gates, Roy Canright, Wally Schock and Leo Krasek, amongst others. After the war, he stayed in the West, although he was once listed for an IMCA race at the Missouri State Fairgrounds (1947), but probably didn't appear. Won the first four races at Oakland Stadium after the war, and lots of others, including one at Reno/Oroville Airport in Nevada a few weeks before he was killed. Hometown listed as Oakland, San Jose, San Francisco, Los Gatos, Daly City, even Steubenville/OH once!

Ray Horst I have driving a Horst/GMC special in 1954 and several unidentified cars before taking over the Glidewell ride in 1956. He won at Redwood Acres (Eureka) on May 29, 1955, and usually raced with the ARA, but also CRA and WARA. Last entry from 1957, CRA at Bakersfield Speedway. Hometown variously listed as Pacheco, Martinez, Concord, Fresno and Frisco, even Reno! Raced Midgets with the BCRA as early as 1950.

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Does anyone out there have information on the Frenzel Lincolns? I'm looking for chassis data(wheel base/what axles/steering/etc?) & especially; what motor modifications: Camshaft/pistons(vendors & specs?) /crankshaft/heads(also head/valve mods?) /block/oil system mods(wet or dry sump, etc). Any & all help/information will be appreciated! thank you. ...mah

28. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thank you Michael Ferner for the Glidewell/Whittmer/Horst info: It adds to what I have; eventually I'll assemble some sort of "Bio" on Horst when I sort all available info, both what I already have & what I gather here. Thank you all who help! ...drtrcrV-8

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This?...........

Attached Files:

30. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I wish I could come close to recalling all of the information offered by some of the greatest in sprint car racing contained in these 1,000 pages. Everyone who contributes has a part in keeping the golden age of sprint car racing alive. I can't imagine what the next 1,000 pages will contain.
    Thanks to Josh for starting this thread, to Kevin Lee and Ryan for moderating, and to all the drivers, mechanics, car owners and their families for sharing stories that would otherwise be lost in history.
    PK