Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Thrusts II Painted ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jamoke, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jamoke

Jamoke

Has any one tried to paint the Torq-Thrust II wheels . Im trying to save some cash and wondered how they would look painted like the Torq - Thrust Ds (gray)

Attached Files:

2. I haven't tried to paint them but I can't see any reason why you couldn't,,you would need to clean them well and use a primer like XIM that will bond paint to ferrous and non-ferrous materials,, then follow you with your finish coat.

I have used the XIM on chrome and stainless steel in the past and painted over it and it held up as goon as any manufactured finish.HRP

3. jazz1

jazz1

There ya go,, I think they'd look great and with HOTRODPRIMER recommending a durable primer I would like to see the end result,,,maybe satin silver and then a colour match of the body on the spokes,,just thinking out loud,,those are such nice wheels..

4. eppster

eppster

Since they're such a smooth surface would'nt you have to sand them so the primer would have something to attach itself to ? I've restored a set of E.T. threes but the center section was a rougher surface. Just a question.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is all about surface prep, and proper materials. I cannot count the number of aluminum wheels I have seen with peeling paint. It appears that it is pretty easy, and common to get that wrong. I'd have them powder coated, if they were mine.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. The XIM is a bonding primer,it is thin and comes in clear or white but is extremely transparent,,when I had my paint store I had 2 pieces of stainless steel tubing with the primer on it so customers could knock them together and try to chip it,,I won't say it can't be chipped but it is almost bullet proof. HRP

7. 2-TONED

2-TONED

if theyre polished and you want rid of the polished spokes id mask off the rim and sandblast the spokes and roll.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which XIM? They seem to have quite a number listed on the site.

http://www.ximbonder.com/products.asp?id=27

9. The 400 solvent based is the one that I was referring to. HRP

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. I have a need for something like this. I will seek it out and try it. Thanks.

11. Jamoke

Jamoke

very good Idea I like it !!

Thanks

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I painted a set of 15 x 8's, scuffed them, simple green, then prepsoled them and sprayed with cast blast, look good but haven't used them yet.

13. Lots of guys used to paint them around here BITD. Some would even paint them a color to accent the paint on the car.

14. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Only one way to find out!
    Jay

15. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

XIM = spray sandpaper. I cant believe they still make that stuff.

16. Here's a pair that Flat-N-Low restored. Look painted to me......:)

[​IMG]

17. slammed

slammed

SEM makes a very good spray bomb etching primer. If you are polishing the lip's, do it now. Mask off and prep-prime-paint. A tip, really think about not painting them red. You know that whole devil/pentagram deal will haunt (!) a guy.

18. boutlaw

boutlaw

I can't believe this thread popped up as I am planning on painting my TT 2's to look like "D"'s on my OT 66 Mustang. I had the chrome bumper on the Mustang painted to match body color when it was painted 6 years ago. All the painter did was sand blast the bumper as I recall, then prime and paint. Its never chipped. Glad to know about the XIM primer. Please post your finished product when complete.

BOutlaw