Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with my 37 Pontiac?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inlineNmine, Jan 10, 2013.

1. inlineNmine

inlineNmine

I have a 1937 Pontiac Coupe. It sits in my barn because I am unable to find a transmission to replace the original 3 speed that threw a gear through the bottom. Now I am considering buying a 292 Chevy 6 with a T5 to replace my original motor and trans; or trying to find out what transmission would bolt up to my good running original 322 straight six. I like to drive on the freeway, so I am really trying to find a gearbox that would suit this desire. What would you do in my situation? P.s. I wont be placing a 350/350 combo in it, so please don't suggest it. Thanks for any advice inlineNmine.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If your motor runs good put a T-5 behind it.

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Since you have to remove the trans anyway, go ahead and do that. Measure, take pictures, etc. of what the bolt spacing, etc is. It may be that another GM trans will fit (who knows?).

Also measuring will let you know what sort of adapter you might need to make a T5 work with the stock motor. I doubt anyone makes that adapter, but the principle is the same no matter the motor - index on the crank centerline, get the fore-and-aft spacing right.

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

A 3 spd 5 bolt top cover trans' up till 55 from a Pontiac will work. Just swap over your top plate assembly over to keep the floor shift. That is if you want to keep the original style drivetrain. IMO it would make it a more desirable car to keep it all Pontiac.

The top as mentioned will work up to 55 and would be something to someone who wanted to convert theirs to floorshift if you weren't planning on using it.

A little more info

http://starchief57.tripod.com/techtips.htm#gear

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A transmission shouldn't be too hard to find. These guys should be able to help, the AACA Pontiac section.

http://forums.aaca.org/f152/

6. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Did you ever hook up with that guy in Texas?

7. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

If you like to drive on the freeway you should ck on the rear end ratio. The one I used to have had a 4/56 ratio stock.

8. inlineNmine

inlineNmine

Thanks for all the info, i think that I am going to try and find a later model gearbox and put my top shifter on it. I will also check my rear end ratio to make sure it is highway geared.

9. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Check in with the POCI club too, maybe one of the members may have something....

10. inlineNmine

inlineNmine

70 Kid- Ok, I will, I just returned to our messages and got that # of the guy in Texas, I need to call him still; I totally forgot about that lead. Thanks

11. I would put a T5 in it. You'll have to have an adaptor made, but if you use one with the longer input shaft you need a spacer anyways. It's possible the one made for use with '54 back Chevy car bellhousings might be able to be made to work.

12. Slantback

Slantback

X-2. Mine would cruise about 40 or 45 with teh original drivetrain.

13. You're in luck. YOur 37 will accept a later model rear end third member up to and including one from a '56. The 50s third members [from cars with automatics] were predominently 3.23 ratio..a great all-around ratio and if you use big [30-31 inch tall] tires on the back, your Pontiac will cruise comfortably at 60-65 all day long. I used a 1956 third member in my 41 and it worked just fine...stock 6 banger with original 5 bolt 3 speed tranny. I drove it all over the western and midwestern US.
    It's been said the top from your 37 tranny will bolt up ok. This would keep you from having to buy a new tranny, adapter, driveshaft etc etc. Not saying this is what you should do, just giving you and option to look at.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  14. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

keep it poncho man!

15. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

16. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

i have a 39 chevy 3 speed with floorshift from my old 39 chevy coupe

17. Completely different design and won't interchange with Pontiac...

18. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

If you like the original engine, keep it. If not consider a 250 Chevy or even a 230, they both have more power than your flathead 6. I think them better for cruising than the 292. T-5 trans comes in a number of ratios, including 5th over. Investigate first. Model A guys use the S-10 Chevy case because the shifter is located better for them, check that out too, and enjoy!

19. The power the Pontiac inline puts out, an S10 T5 should live just fine behind it.

If a '56 Pontiac rear will fit, why not a '57? It would be more money, probably, but it should also fit.

20. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The 56 and down center section would be a bolt in to the currant housing, 57 would require the complete rear end.

Although the 56 would bolt in it has a 1350 type u joint yoke. 55 would still have the mechanics style u joint. All of these would have the same 10 spline axles.

BTW my 41 had a standard 3:90 gear , 239 manual trans car.

21. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

And its possible there may be another guy with a motor/trans from a recent street rod build. Let me see if I can touch base with him also

22. inlineNmine

inlineNmine

So I found a Pontiac transmission from a 54 Pontiac {that a fellow hamber supplied pictures of,} and compared it to my 37, the bolt pattern on top of the box is totally different, I don't see how my shifter could be used on anything other than a gearbox from 35-38? I am in contact with a few Hamber's that have original transmissions for my car, so I suppose I will go this route, and change out my 3rd member to a later model unit to get better speed on the highway. Thanks for all the help,if you have more suggestions please send them my way.

23. post pics of your trans and maybe someone has a stray one laying around that you could use.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  24. inlineNmine

inlineNmine

70 Kid- Yeah that would be sweet. I missed out on the parts car that was just a couple hundred miles north of me, turns out it was sold the week before I got in contact with the owner. It was a nice car with a bunch of good parts I needed. I am really wanting to get my 37 on the road. My brother is trying to get his 37 dodge on the road, and my friend just picked up a nice 38 ford coupe. How is your car coming along? Hopefully your having better luck then me.

25. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

inlineNmine-
    Well thats too bad. MIne is alot slower progress than yours, just collecting few odds and
    ends to "hop up" the six but no big progress. Is your brothers Dodge a stocker too, good
    looking cars for sure! What are the plans on your buds Ford, reversed eyes, drop axle, white walls? Hey I was looking in Hemmings today too, didnt see to much but there was a guy with an "30's-50's Transmissions Parts and Tech" Maybe give him a shout, check your local news stand, didnt grab the number.......

26. inlineNmine

inlineNmine

Yeah my brothers Dodge is stock. The friends ford is going to be a ? he is into lowering and customizing a bit more than me, so I have no idea what he will end up with; I hope something that is still period correct. Mine will be stock, with tall black walls, and maybe some nice leather interior work for a change. I will have to check out that tech man in Hemmings and see what he knows. Thanks

27. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Does your brother have any speed equipment for his dodge?

Theres a car on ebay too, cant tell if it has a tranny though....

28. jesse1980

jesse1980

T-5 sounds right.

29. inlineNmine

inlineNmine

No, we are on the look out for speed parts now. They are easier to find for his dodge than for my 46 Desoto. We might end up making a split manifold for the intake, just to try it, and make a good learning experience out of it. Speed parts are so good looking under the hood though, but harsh on the wallet.

30. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Ya tell me about it, I know Edmunds made an intake for Pontiac sixes, but he never made
    a "Head" for the sixes, only the eights, although I have yet to see one....