Register now to get rid of these ads!

static messing with my pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooligansrh84, Jan 12, 2013.

1. hooligansrh84

hooligansrh84
    from kansas

I have a nose cone from a Jr Dragster, I'm trying to stripe on it but the static is pulling pigments out of my brush and all over the piece. How do i overcome thi:ps static pain in the ass!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

2. (1) You really need to post a intro.

(2) you need to ground the fiberglass.

Are you singing sign paint,,like one shot? HRP

3. borntrouble

borntrouble
    from NH

Ground the piece, and there is an anti-static spray that you can use... usually the glass takes a charge from rubbing buffing...

4. hooligansrh84

hooligansrh84
    from kansas

Ok thanks, didn't know about the intro thing and how would I go about grounding the piece. I've never encountered this before.

5. hooligansrh84

hooligansrh84
    from kansas

And yes I'm using 1shot and a Kafka 000

6. As simple as using alligator clips and a piece of ground wire,,heck in a pinch you could use a jumper cable. HRP

7. Mikey nailed it;best and cheapest way to eliminate static electricity.Prior to striping(or lettering)take a face cloth and dampen it(don't leave it real wet)and wipe in one stroke across the surface to be painted.
    If for any reason static builds up after you've started painting take a wet rag and wipe the BACK of the surface you're working on;that will usually dissipate the charge. I will occasionally take a wet paper towel and if you are really careful you can drag it lightly across the surface without disturbing the fresh paint and that will eliminate the static charge.You have to be careful doing this though.
    Some advocate the use of dryer sheets;I wouldn't want to take the chance of chemicals in the sheet contaminating the paint surface.

8. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

Dryer sheets work fine done it for years.Don't wipe just lay it on it for a few minutes.

9. Wet cloth on back.

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

This is what you need . Available at silk screen supply business'.

Attached Files:

11. lawman

lawman

Now that is some good info !!! And welcome to the HAMB.

12. GREASER815

GREASER815

Go to your local forklift dealer and get a ground strap for an electric forklift. We use them all the time, not that expensive and made of a high carbon rubber, work great.

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I use a spray bottle of water..... Spray the underside of the panel...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I had never heard of this, it must be all of you striper's magnetic personalities :)
    You guys all have a great talent!