Register now to get rid of these ads!

summit intake and carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bounder, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Bounder

Bounder

Has anyone used the intake and carb from Summit Racing they sell as a set?
    Thinking about it, or should I just buy a Edelbrock set? Money is getting tight and I don't need any more problems.

2. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

Try pricing at Jeggs, they seem to be a little more reasonable.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Used intake and carbs are always found at a swap meet. I'd check those out first. We have 2 around here held once a month for cars.

4. Ever wonder why that4 barrel carburetor is for sale at the swap meet,,I generally think it has problems and need rebuilding. HRP

5. thehazguy

thehazguy

Bought the 600 CFM combo for my SBC. Works great on my street motor. Thought there was another thread on this. Just researched it but couldn't find it. Oh, just remembered bought a second combo for ny 402 BBC

6. phord

phord

Summit brand works okay. Just remember that that stuff is all offshore. Edelbrock (as far as I know) is still made here in the USA. I personally hate sending my money to China

7. It isn't so much the money as it is the quality.

Just because it may look like a duck doesn't mean a damn thing.

You will get what you pay for and if money is tight then why would you want to spend it twice.

8. FEDER

FEDER

My Son put the summit 600 carb (the holley remake) on His sb Ford with a summit intake. Been on for a year now and works great! Auto choke works great and absolutly no leaks. Fed

9. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Buyer beware you get what you pay for

10. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

That Sumit intake is a chinese knock off of a Edelbrock.

Buy AMERICAN, buy a real Edelbrock.

11. jazzbum

jazzbum

Is there really that much savings? The cheapest Summit kit lists for $464. Sure, you get the studs, gaskets and a $20 aircleaner with that too, but Summit lists an edelbrock 2121 for $175 and a Holley 4160 w/electric choke for $296. That's $471 for the name-brand, American carb and intake. A difference of $7, plus the cost of studs, gaskets and aircleaner, if you need one, which might be another $50. And those are all Summit prices, remember. You can absolutely do even better from another supplier, like Jegs or similar. For a price difference that negligible, I really don't see the benefit in buying Chinese. The warranty alone is worth the few extra bucks.

12. tnich123

tnich123

You can go on line with advanced autoparts and order a holley carb get anditional 15% off and a gift card for 25.00 off your next purchase and its the polished holley 600. Just a thought

13. Bounder

Bounder

Thanks for the input. This is why I like this site, folks do try to help. Looks like the way to go is with American made. Costs a little more but that seems like everything else on this build. I'll check with advanced auto also.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure that's correct. I believe the Summit intakes are made by Weiand, and unmarked. The carbs are the old Holley 4010 design, and the few people I've known who bought the Summit version were pleased with it.
    It's not a high performance carb that is designed to be tweaked, jetted, and tuneable. It's more like a preset bolt on and go carb. I wouldn't worry about the carb, but if you want to save some bucks buy the carb, and look at the local CL for a cheap used intake. Used intakes are a great buy, as you will find they are as good as new usually, and just need some cleanup. They're often less than half priced when used.

15. indyjps

indyjps

If $ is tight, search edelbrock 9905 (man choke), 9906 elec choke, its the factory remanufactured p/n for 600 vac sec. 9905 is $242, 9906 is $262, shipped from amazon.
    I bought a 9905 for a car recently, first time I used edelbrock. Very Pleased, little rich on the primary for the mild 327 its on, havent tuned the car yet, plenty of threads on here for guidance.
    Just buy a used intake, check the threads, clean mounting surfaces with a straight edge and the water neck for corrosion.

16. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

17. Ed Northrop

Ed Northrop

I would call summit and ask if it is made off shore.

18. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Wouldn't you rebuild ANY used carb? I would.

Ya, but any dime-store carb running fat will work on a SBC! ;)

Bang on - plus, your neighbors get to keep their jobs....

19. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I don't know about the Summit intakes, but I've had several of their "new" carbs now and I'm hooked as are some friends, family and a neighbor. I'd personally believe they are manufactured by Holley for Summit, which a Summit rep alluded to as well on the phone. Summit didn't wake up one day and buy a carb factory, they bought the right to put their name on a somebody's tooling and design. They work very well, are very tune-able and have alot of "stuff" for the price. Annular boosters being a big plus. The idle circuit dials-in quickly and easily. The only thing I don't like is the one piece bowl design and that's only because it makes the gasket harder to come by. Here's a comparison in a class with other similar carbs, this is their 750 but it's the same design:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1210_seven_budget_carburetors_tested/viewall.html

I have a pile of q-jets, edelbrocks and demons collecting dust now. Not that they aren't great carbs in their own right but for my money, the Summit carb is doing what I need which is FRYING TIRES out of the box with decent fuel economy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013