Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '32 Battery Group Size suggestion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1962300, Jan 12, 2013.

1. 1962300

I am at the point in the build of my '32 Roadster where I am going to build a battery box set up in the trunk area of the car. I have decided to use a normal type of battery, opposed to an Optima type of battery.

Anyone have a suggestion of a good Battery Group size to go with?

I am considering using the group size of battery that lives in my '62 Chryslers and turns over their 413 big blocks all day long....as all I need the '32 to do is turn over a late 40's flathead.

Thanks!!

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I use a group 24 battery. It is a common size. It was used on a 70 Chevelle 454/450 HP LS6. I always install the battery under the seat. I do not give up any trunk space.

[​IMG]

The photo is on my 32 3W ... but the battery is in the same location on my 32 roadster. It does NOT hang down below the sight line. Or in other words ... you do not see it when looking at the 32 ... from any distance.

3. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I used a group 58 for VW, under the floor of the 32. It is not too high. take a tape measure and go to Wal -mart and measure.

Ago

4. 1962300

Great advice! Thank you!!

5. I used the same one as Deuce Roadster. HRP

6. i have a group 24 in my `36 in a box behind the passenger seat.... as already said , it's a very common size

7. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Group 24 top post here. Go with something common and easily replacable on the road.

8. Canuck

Canuck

Using a Group 51 in my A, mounted in trunk. Common size used in Honda,s.

Canuck

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I use 49-51 Ford battery box. I weld it to the pass side back of the cross member leaving enough room for the exhaust. I love the old time look. I don't know the battery group number but it's available every where. I bought an old Deuce hot rod that came with one. It took me a few years before I figured out what it was out of.
    [​IMG]
    You can see that it does not hang down. I only like batteries in the trunk on race cars where they were put there for weight. No billet and it works great. I think the louvers are cool too.:D They might reproduce them now.

10. You are correct Tommy,,Dennis Carpenter reproduces a very nice copy of the original battery box. HRP

[​IMG]

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

When ever I use a battery, I use one for a 97 Ford Power Stroke. It has the biggest reserve capacity and is top post. If side post is what you desire, then go for a buick Roadmaster. It also has a very high reserve.

I think they are group 65 or 75.

My thought process is, if my alternator fails, I can go for many miles on the mentioned batteries.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm using the smaller Optima under the seat of my 32 roadster. So far I've had good luck with the Optima battery.

13. swifty

swifty