Register now to get rid of these ads!

Golden Submarine visit to the Peterson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbon maker, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

The Golden Submarine recreated in 1985 by Buck Baudeman is on display on the West Coast for what could be the last time in a long time. We will be taking 8 students to see the car and discover more about Harry Millers work In L.A. In the 1910's 1920's and 1930's His first victory was with Terrible Teddy Tetzlaff's victory at Santa Monica in 1911 in the Losier. Miller supplied the Master Carburator.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is one car project everyone should see, and has helped get a lot of people interested in reading about MILLER history. Bob

4. TACOS29TUDOR

TACOS29TUDOR

miller started his work in my hometown, as the old tale goes ole evinrude worked with him on a few things..........

5. Skirv

Skirv

I took these pictures of it at The Peterson while on vacation in California last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'd encourage everybody who can to get to the Peterson and see the Golden Sub. I've had the honor and pleasure of seeing it in Bucky's garage, a real treat.

Brian

7. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

i busted ass to get this car out to the museum and it looks amazing to bad it's not at the museum on a permanent basis. Miller Deserves a wing or a floor at the Museum. It would be amazing to have that car and DePalma's Packard next to each other on some vintage Boards on permanent display. Thank you for posting the photos.

8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Buck did a great job on the Sub but I am not sure he is done having fun with the car to park it on a permanent basis in a museum. With Miller's L.A. history it is a shame they do not have an appropriate exhibit to honor the guy.

As for DePalma's Packard for it to be displayed anywhere it needs to be completed number one and number two the owner would have to be convinced to park it in a museum on a permanent basis, which is easier said then done as well. There is a Packard though that is similar in appearance to DePalma's Packard that is now housed in a museum just a few short miles from Buck's home so the Sub may have a chance of sitting side by side with a Packard racer from the same era as DePalma's 299. It may make for a compelling photograph nevertheless.-Jim

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Notice the curved windows - they have wire mesh in them not glass - no safety glass when it was built.

Barney Oldfield said he could smoke his cigar in the car at 100MPH there was so little wind.

10. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

Jim it is amazing to me that they have done little to promote this car's connection to L.A. So much of the automotive history is paved over but L.A. was the Hub of hot Rod activity in the 1920's to the 60's. Hopefully Peter Mullin will be able to make things right and give miller his place in the lights of L.A. For more info try www.offymiller.com

11. I would love to see this car up close,,as strange as this car is it has a beauty that doesn't grow old. HRP

12. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

Sad to note the Passing of Buck Baudeman he actually passed in the fall. He was a great inspiration and always willing to talk history and excited to discuss my interest in Harry Millers work. RIP Buck. Thank you for allowing the Golden Submarine to be lent to the Museum. JDL

13. I must have stood there for an hour looking at that car, I just happened to go there that day in 2013...I didn't even know it was there. I crossed the rope a little for the second picture :eek:. I did get a dvd last year of some of the history of racing in california called "Where they Raced".

http://wheretheyraced.com/WHERE_THEY_RACED/Where_They_Raced.html
    golden sub-1a.jpg
    golden sub-2a.jpg