Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock Intake Manifold Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64impala, Jan 11, 2013.

1. 64impala

64impala

What is a good substitute for product "Edelbrock Gasgacinch #9300" which is used to prep the gaskets and head surface prior to install?

Is there a spray version of a generic brand?

2. I've never prepped a gasket but I wipe down the surface of the block & heads with lacquer thinner ,,,dry and stick it all together. HRP

3. 64impala

64impala

Edelbrock's install procedure notes the following:
    1. Check gaskets on head surface and manifold to make sure they are
    correct. Beaded side faces up.
    NOTE: In some cases there may be a right and left side gasket
    difference. Be sure they are placed correctly.
    2. Coat head surface and cylinder head side of intake gaskets with
    Edelbrock Gasgacinch #9300 (See Figure 8).
    3. Within a few minutes gaskets and surface will become tacky to the
    touch. Carefully place gaskets on head surface, aligning ports and
    bolt holes.

The following step then suggest to use RTV sealer, I'm guessing this is Edelbrock's way of selling you another product and that RTV sealer is all you really need for the gasket installation?

See page (5 of 8) and (6 0f 8) on this Edelbrock Install Document:

http://tinyurl.com/aotoz73

4. You are correct! HRP

5. I usually just use black RTV

6. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

It sounds like it is used to hold the gasket in alignment with the ports until you get the manifold on.

7. I have used gasgacinch extensively on the Fairbanks Morse OP engines. I am a big fan of it. I would describe it as an adhesive. If you have good mating surfaces it is an ideal product. Last time I bought any was at the Napa on Sand Isle road in HI.

8. Here is what it looks like if you find it at your local autoparts store.

Attached Files:

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Edelbrock is a great company, but they'd sell air for your carb, if they thought someone would buy it. I like the black Permatex.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I use RTV. Makes it easier to get off if you change the manifold much.

11. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Gasgacinch is for the mating surface of the intake gaskets to the heads, and it works well. For the end pieces use rtv silicone, the rubber gaskets are usually crap and squeeze out.

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

You GOTTA love an automotive product that has a hot pinup chick on it for no discernible reason! I want a can just to keep it on my shelves.

13. Dave, She is slipping in oil and there is a 40s open wheel racer in the backround.

Tim

14. 64impala

64impala

This stuff looks interesting, same concept, a type of holding adhesive for gasket(s) alignment, and follow-up with RTV (ports, front/back).

http://tinyurl.com/b6u8cjt

15. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

High Tack works just as well.

16. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

We always used this yellow stuff we called gorilla snot lol it came in a squeeze tube.

Jake

17. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

When I bought a can I had to ask the clerk for it. They keep it under the counter because it's like model glue and they don't want kids sniffing it. I installed my manifold exactly as ebrock said using their gaskets. Vortec heads on a SBC. The ebrock gaskets are a thick, two layer design. The gasgacinch side of the gasket sealed ok. On the other side of the gasket, where they say don't use gasgacinch, the second layer sucked up into the intake port, causing a massive oil leak into cylinders 4 and 6. Alittle internet research found this to be not unusual. Felpro rubber coated steel gaskets are in there now, installed dry per the instructions, and no problems.

18. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Do a search for favorite gasket sealers on HAMB and yet get 12 different recommendations in any one thread - just like this thread. Permatex Indianhead sealer would be another to consider, as well Permatex hylomar. My favorite gasket dressing is Permatex Aviation sealer - unlimited assembly time. For the ends I would use Permatex Right Stuff. I recently used Right Stuff in place of a oil pan to timing cover seal in the 472 Cad in my COE - no leaks. Saved me removing the pan when doing the timing chain. Also used Right Stuff for the tranny pan with no gasket.

Permatex for the win!

;)

[​IMG]

19. My .002

Been around for 50+ years, I use it a lot. It's like rubber cement but a little tackier.
    http://gasgacinch.com/

This stuff is mainly for plain steel head gaskets or the likes and kinda messy

Sounds like weatherstripping adhesive, this stuff dries HARD so it comes off hard.

That's Oriley's version of Indian head, this stuff dry HARD also. You want to be able to get the parts off later and don't want to grind it off aluminum.
    [​IMG]

Use quality gaskets, a little ultra grey/black/copper permatex (I like to color match) on both sides of the gasket around the water ports and if it's a OHV V8 then "Right Stuff" at both ends of the manifold (instead of the cork/rubber gaskets).

20. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

the Right Stuff is good shit.

21. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I used the recommended "Gasgacinch" when I installed the Edelbrock manifold on my SBC. It worked just fine, but my impression of it was that it seemed identical to the contact adhesive that you would use to glue down Formica to a kitchen countertop.

22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here's another vote for "indian head." i've used it since the 60s!

23. the boogieman

the boogieman

I have been useing mr gasket intake gsskets for a long time. Along with right stuff to seal front and rear. With great sucsess. Setting the intake in place and not moveing it around is where you get a good seal. Dont forget right stuff on bolts to stop oil from wicking up them and sitting on intake

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  24. 64impala

64impala

25. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

They are just recommending to use an adhesive to help hold the gaskets in place during assembly. I use 3M general trim adhesive. It's the job of the gasket to seal, not the glue.

26. i have a can of the Edelbrock #9300 in my hand right now. it's a yellow contact adhesive much like the stuff you would use on Formica tops..maybe a bit thinner.

on the can it says "holds gaskets in place while assembling parts"

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would whatch out with that right stuff. Have you tryed to take somthing apart after using it. That stuff is bad ass.

28. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Loctite brand high-temp silicone works really good. I use it around the water ports on both sides of the gasket and instead of using the rubber/cork end gaskets I use it there as well. Never had a leak with it and is fairly easy to remove with a razor blade.