Register now to get rid of these ads!

shipping large parts via greyhound

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadassBadger, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ponchofrailey

ponchofrailey

wow, all i thought you could ship on greyhounds was mail order brides.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've used TYVEC that stuff they wrap a house in before clapboards or shingles go on. SUPER tough stuff, then I wrap everything with shrink wrap. Bob :)

3. carmuts

carmuts

Boxes that big a person can make from a Lazyboy box. Furniture stores just throw them out along with the padding. So getting the boxes is not a big deal as they normally will just give them to you. It may take some careful measuring and planning to make boxes for a 1950's car hood, but it can be done with some measuring, bending and cutting. Rod

4. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

yes, i made plenty of large boxes. i work at a body shop and i've made trips to the furniture store many times

5. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Hey Badger,
    Make certain that you write the buyers address and phone number directly on the part with a marker BIG so they can see it. Tags and labels get lost.
    I had no problem getting 36 fenders from Maine to Connecticut. I had to pick them up at assigned depot.
    Good luck,
    Bruce in CT

6. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

The nearest Greyhound station is a little convenience store. The owner will make darn sure you know the package arrived...until you come and pick up that fender/hood/whatever, there isn't room enough to get to the Slushy machine!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to second what BigJim394 and Tman said in posts 17 and 18. You have to go to a Bus Station that handles freight and they are getting few and far between.

I would have to drive 70 miles to Pasco now to ship anything via the big dog.

Make sure what you are shipping fits their size and weight limits. I've been able to find suitable shipping boxes at furniture stores and it helps to fill them up with foam pellets or even chunks of Styrofoam so that the item inside doesn't bang around in the box. Put some hand holds in the box or put twine or cord on the box so the bus people can get a good grip on the box.

8. TV

TV

I had a Doodlebug Scooter shipped from Washington to California on Greyhound. He wrapped it in so much shrink rap you couldn't tell what it was, it was as wide as it was long. When I rolled it out of the station at least 10 people were laughing.--TV

9. I had a door shipped in from out of state via greyhound, I made numerous calls (smart enough to take down her name, date and time) at the destination station, she kept saying it wasn't there. A week later, I finally got a guy on the phone who told me it was there. I went up to get it, he tells me the door was there for a week and tried to make me pay storage. I asked if the gal I had spoken to (and written down her name) worked there, he said she did, I asked how come she had told me it wasn't there for a week, I gave him time and dates. He took the storage charges off and apologized. I would use them again though.......

10. evintho

evintho

Used Greydog many times. Simple and cheap. For large sheetmetal I make my own boxes. I put a frame together with 1"x2"s and a brad nailer then staple cardboard to the frame.

11. Canuck

Canuck

One thing to watch, is They don't ship across the border. Canadian Greyhound will not ship to US and US grayhound will not ship to Canada. Have to either find a acceptable depot location near the border or a different carrier.

Canuck

12. I have never shipped by bus but I have had front fenders shipped to me by bus. Once from California and once from Tennessee. Both times I got them with no damage and reasonable shipping fees. I went to the terminal to pick them up so like others stated, make sure your destination actually has a bus terminal because they aren't as prevalent as they used to be.

13. kb cookout

kb cookout

You need to add 10%-15% to the online quote for the fuel cost surchange they will add to the package shipping cost.

I ship 2-3 packages with them every week ..no problems

Later kb

14. I have heard of people having problems but the times that I have done it over the last 40 years (numerous) I have never had a problem. I think it is in your best interest for whatever it is to not look valuable.

15. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I copied and pasted this from one of the previous Greyhound threads.
    Must be just my bad luck....

I had a bit of a different experience...
    Had some big parts shipped from Texas to CT, Galaxie bumpers and brackets.
    The price was right.
    Since I'm from a small town, the nearest terminal was Southbury so I had them shipped there.
    There are no tracking numbers, or tracking system for parts shipped general freight, and if they need the space for passenger luggage, the parts get dropped off wherever, to be picked up at a future time, whenever there is room.
    I waited 10 days for the parts to arrive before I started calling customer service and the Southbury terminal. Was told that there was nothing they could do to help me, not to worry.
    After almost two weeks, I got a call from Waterbury to tell me that one of my bumpers was there, not in Southbury.
    I went to get it, asked the guy why it was delivered here instead of Southbury. He told me that Southbury was too small of a terminal (basically it was a gas station/convenience store) and they didn't deliver big stuff there. Again, he had no idea where the other bumper was and couldn't track it.
    After a few days more (probably a week) and some anxious thoughts, I called both Waterbury and Southbury....the bumper was in Southbury and, according to the wizard that answered the phone, had been there a couple days, he had no idea why I wasn't called.
    It had a happy ending, but the seller was going nuts because they took so long, I wasn't all that happy with the unknown status.
    It worked, but personally I would hesitate to ship without a tracking system, just my preference.
    Bill

16. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

my first shipment twas a success! or at least drop off and payment anyways.... and hoping that it gets there without looking like it was run over by the bus that delivered it.

17. jazz1

jazz1

i needed 4 tires shipped to Ft St John B.C from here in Northwestern Ontario,,,local trucking company wanted $660.00 ,,Greyhound was $140.00

18. txturbo

txturbo

I worked at a salvage yard back in high school and we shipped parts through GH all the time. In later years I shipped fenders and tires with them. We had a 24 hour terminal in my home town....it was cool cuz you could order something on Friday....and it might show up at 1am or on saturday or Sunday. Was great for something last minute that you needed/wanted on the weekend.

19. Maratrodz

Maratrodz
    from Wa

I have bought parts and they were shipped greyhound. No problems and cheap to.