Register now to get rid of these ads!

WWII "POD" Engine ????? What do you know about this ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well guys,....

This started as "O/T" but became a legitimate on topic thread..... A friend of mine wanted me to go to a little gun shop with him to check out a WWII M-1 Garand. As I had a really good knowledge of them. While there the guy shows me some other WWII stuff, then asks me if I ever seen a "POD" before ? :confused:

Alright, I must admit If I ever heard that acronym before I must have forgot it... As it turns out he said it was a 1941 Jeep replacement engine & trans unit on a pallet...... :cool: It looks to possibly be a Willis unit... But to be truthful with you, this is out of my realm of automotive or military knowledge....

Do I need it ?,..... Oh heck no !,

Would I ever use it ? .... Really don't think so.

Is it cool ?....... Yeah, I think it pegs the cool meter.

Do I want to bring it home ?....... Ah... trying to talk myself out of it. :eek:

Alright guy's....... tell me what you know about this Engine,... cause I don't know nothing about it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. gas pumper

gas pumper

Not WW2 in my opinion. OHValve and spin on oil filter. I don't think a WW2 Jeep would have 3 belt grooves in the front pulley.
    Nice magneto.
    Military stuff is always good and more HD than civilian versions.

3. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Pretty sure all WW2 Jeeps used a flathead 4 cyl motor. I'm seeing an overhead type valve cover on that motor. Guessing its for a newer era jeep.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

That's exactly what I thought,.... even mentioned it to this guy, but he insisted it was WWII era..... And that my friends,.... Is why this question is on the HAMB ! :cool:

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I'm guessing the POD is for a MUTT...

6. Balls Out Garage

Balls Out Garage
    from Arkansas

That is for a "jeep", just for a Vietnam era M151...

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

We might have served together ! :D

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

M151 is I believe 1959 or later. WWII would be MB or GPW.

9. I used to be in the "old" jeep business. I can tell you for a fact that this motor is for a M151 "MUTT" (Military Utility Tactical Truck), which was produced from 1959 to 1982

Nothing WWII about it

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

M151 "Mutt" was a Vietnam era Jeep from Ford, but also made by AM General and Kaiser.

Early ones were known as killers due to their tendency to roll over. The coil spring swing axle suspension was blamed. Eventually they tamed them, to a point.

Replaced in the 80s by the HUMVEE or Hummer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M151_MUTT

................................................................... Later..............................................

Pardon my redundancy but none of the posts mentioning the Mutt were there when I started typing. The givaway was the M151 on the serial # plate.

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Alright guys,..... Glad I asked,.... This thing looks to be new.... Is it worth anything ?

was this engine used in what we called the "Mighty Mite" ( I know old Fords and Hot Rods,... I don't know nothin' about Military vehicles Other than how to drive & ride in most of them,,..... and occasionally , use them for cover)

Never mind,.... if I remember right the Mighty Mite had a foreign engine,... and I think it was air cooled.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It could be worth something to a hard core military vehicle collector but I'm not sure that it worth a lot otherwise. A guy could probably stick it in a little modified that was geared out right and have fun with it if he could get it right.
    I changed a head on one we had in our unit in Viet Nam in 1968 and they aren't hard to work on. They sure aren't speed demons though.

13. Mighty Mites (M422) were first developed in 46 but didn't see production until early 50's. from 59-62 they were made by American Motors and used an Air Cooled V 4 taht came from Wisconsin Engines (they mostly make industrial motors) The prototype had used a Porsche motor

14. snaptwo

snaptwo

Mity Mites wouldn't pass DOT regs.though a few did manage to escape here in the states. A scrapper I knew in Reno had a bunch of them but neatly sawed in half .

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, this place is so cool. Where else can you get such a wide variety of knowledge?

Doc.

(I know it's been said a million times but screw it, there it is again!!)

16. Got a "Mutt" in the shop a few months back, near impossable to find parts for.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Does it need an Engine....... Like I said, trying to talk myself out of it.

18. I would say yes but the guy was not a regular so I don't know where he is now. We never did the motor, too much expence.

19. You are correct, they were using a valve in head in Korea I believe but the civillian jeep was still flathead up into the '60s.

I am not absolutely sure about the valve in head in Korea, they were using a valve in head in Vitetnam era jeeps.

Ok so now I have proven that I know nothing about the engine other than what I can read on the tag. I would find a way to use it if I had it though. My mind is alread whirring. ;)

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Civilian CJ3B (aout 1954 models) introduced "F" head engines..........intake is OHV, exhaust is in block like cthe flathead it was derived from.

Military got them a bit earlier (about '51 or '52) in the M38A1 which evetually was civilianized into the CJ5 about 1955.

Ray