Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 87notch, Jan 11, 2013.

1. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

I am a bodyman by trade and im fixing to paint my shop truck. It's a 52 Ford F1. I will be driving and hauling parts with this truck. I do not want a shiny paint job like a base/clear or even a single stage urethane or necessarily a flat or satin job either. I'm looking for something in the middle. Single stage non metallic what probably came on the cars and trucks in that era. Not doing a faux patina or anything just want it to have the forties or fifties kind of gloss. Any idea of where to start or brands that might give me this look? I've stripped to the bare metal and done a lot of metal work and cant see doing a primer job on it because I want some durability also.

2. Dupont single stage enamel.

3. What about a regular industrial enamel paint job and add some hardener. HRP

4. dont waste all that work on crap paint . put a quality auto grade urethane single stage on it . I have very gooc luck with nason full thane and the price as not much more than enamal tractor paint,

5. Jokester

Jokester

I'd think you would want to show your customers what kind of work you can do. Do it right/good or don't bother.

my 2¢

6. Yup.....What he said.

7. Might as well use rustolem if you are going to use nason...nason is bottom line paint. Single stage enamel would be most correct unless you can find lacquer.

8. What makes you think that cars of the 40's or 50's didn't have glossy paint? (Because they most certainly DID!)
    Shoot single stage enamel, lay it down wet and don't color sand and buff. That is what will get the original look for that F-1

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

I use nason fulthane also but its way too glossy.

10. robertsregal

robertsregal

Agreed, show them what you can do!!

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

87notch, where are you located in Kentucky?

12. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

My customers see the work I do on their cars. I'm not doing this to show off my skills. I just dont want my shop truck to look like the trucks that roll across the Barrett Jackson stage. They look too perfect.

13. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I'm confused. But that's normal for me.

If you have the skills to do good work for a customer, why are asking how to do a less than quality job on your own ride?

If you know how to good work than you also know how to do work that is not good.

F it. Get a brush and some house paint. Tip and roll it.

WTF?

14. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

x2 same thought

15. derbydad276

derbydad276

go over to tractor supply pick up a gallon of massy combine red enamel and shoot it

hard as nails and you can touch it up

16. flathead okie

flathead okie

I can't believe a body man would ask that type of question.
    I took body / paint 35 yrs ago and haven't actually put any skills I've learned in a production type since, that is why I would ask, because I've forgotten most of what was taught to me. However once someone reminds me how, I can do it.
    I would use DuPont Centari acrylic enamel. In the past I've used it on my own cars and it holds up good.

17. Use Omni, it will die back to semi gloss in no time......

Or Krylon....

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I totally get that you don't want a cheesy " look at me '' street rod finish on your work truck/driver. Any of the medium grade single stage urethanes will hold up well, and be pretty good bang for your buck. Any detail man worth a pinch of shit can dial in the gloss you want, and still give you good service from this paint job:D

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool- Aid "

19. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I'm with the group that is confused. Any bodyman I know would either know this stuff, or have WAY better/closer/easier people to ask than HAMBERS (;) no offense to HAMBERS!).

Weird.

20. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Centari, if anybody is still mixing it. If it's been on the shelf a long time it won't usually shine very well. If you were local I'd give you a whole shelf full of it! Maybe SEM Rust Shield? As for Ful-Thane, we've used it on tons of stuff and I haven't seen a job yet where it didn't shine.

21. BrownCow1992

BrownCow1992
    from joliet il

totally true if you know how to paint do a bada$$ job on it and make it a barret jackson show truck that will catch everyones attention and get you more business also

22. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

Judging by the location in your avatar, I'm not far from you. I live outside of Paducah.

23. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

I'll try to make this as plain as I can for the confused. I can block and paint and sand and buff this truck and make it as nice as any around period. I don't need any advice on how to do that. If I put the time and effort and money into making this thing a show truck, then I would not want to drive it in the rain and snow and I certainly would not want to throw oily greasy parts in the bed of it. If I put a shop truck paint job on it, it hurts a lot less with every scratch and dent. I am not building this to be a rolling business card. I frankly have all the work I can stand to do now.

24. I agree I use Dupont Centari acrylic enamel. However, that paint is being phased out, Dupont is pushing their Nason line. I can not get the yellows.
    Also, the Dupont paints red,orange, yellows are very expensive! My .02.

25. hippy killer

hippy killer

bare metal it a few weeks and the rust will get the shade your looking for

26. gerry miller

gerry miller

WTF!!!!! I want it to be durable?
    I don't want it shiny
    I don't want it primer
    I am at a loss to any Logical explanation of this end

27. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Believe it or not cars were painted gloss back then.

28. I think i understand. I am building a shop truck like this myself. I dont want a show trusk ,just a well built dependable driver I can drive and chase parts with. I plan to use a single stage urethane. If it gets scuffed or scratched during use so be it.

29. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

Exactly! I'm glad somebody understands. Some people have nothing better to do than give smart ass answers to peoples questions. They need to go out to the shop and do something productive with their spare time.

30. oldolds

oldolds

I understand what you want. Go to the place that mixes your paint and get some universal flattening agent. Use the paint that ou normally would use and add enough to give the look you want. I would guess you want about an 85% shine. It will look like an old paint that has been polished back to shine. For you guys saying that he should show off his work, he may be ahead of the curve There s talk that the next thing in new cars is satin paint!