Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid Holley 500 two barrel rebuild question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TeamEvil, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TeamEvil

TeamEvil

I'm in the middle of trying to rebuild my little Holley 500 two barrel for a SBF engine. I got it all apart and tanked and am re-assembling it but ran into a question or two, hopefully someone has an answer or two to help me out.

I was wondering if, with the new needle check valve dropped in under the discharge nozzle, is there supposed to be a small spring installed under the screw before it's tightened down, or does the assemble only have the needle valve, then discharge nozzle then the screw fitted?

I'm not at all sure, and there seem to be a number of "extra" springs in my bag 'o parts.

Also wondering if this carb should have emulsion tubes in the metering block. The holes for them are there, but they seem to be just blind holes.

Apologies for these stupid, simple questions, this is becoming more of a lifestyle than a carb rebuild; so many questions, so little brain left in my head.

Thank you for any answers/help,

T

2. Beechkid

Beechkid
    from SoCal

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

No springs under the pump nozzle.

4. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

I have found it handy to take lots of pics with my i phone when pulling apart assemblies.

5. Holley used something called an "anti-pull over" kit in the 4412 race carbs. I know there was something different about the check ball system under the squirters. Can't remember if they put a spring in to hold the ball down or what it was. Sorry, that was 20 years ago, and I was only observing one being prepped...

6. TeamEvil

TeamEvil

Thank you guys ! ! !

Got it all together and hopefully working again. I replaced everything that I could and cleaned the rest to spotless. No reason that it should be fine, but . . . with my luck.

Funny, I think that I did SUCH a good job of it, that I scooped up another fifteen dollar two barrel to try it again. One to use, one to bag and save on the shelf. Second time around I learned how to set the float and adjust the accelerator pump.

A couple more and I ought to be decent at this. It took four Autolite distributors before I really had it right, THEN I found out that they're available EVERYWHERE brand new for fifty five bucks.

I'm an idiot . . .

TC

7. hotstuff1

hotstuff1

you an't the only one that done something like that , theres a lot of us idiots out here