Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Riviera Visits Atlas Speed & Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Yeah... I was going to tell you about that fender... Hahaha...!

How far North in Texas is the shop?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Denison, TX... About 300 miles north...

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Ryan, sounds like a slippery slope if I ever heard one...

5. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

I don't want to make things worse, but from the looks of that picture up above, your passenger door could use a second look too.

Sounds like the plan is coming together, boss. I'll be paying attention.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Son-Of-A-Bitch... I had never noticed that. Jamie? Add the passenger side door to the list!

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over the years, I've enjoyed watching Jamie develope his skills. He has the eye and
    the talent to become a great kustomizer. In the background you can see his 41 Coupe
    that has a wicked chop. The Riviera is in good hands. Keep up the good work.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Uh, Ryan... Borranis only go on red cars. :D

Car is gonna be slick and subtle, can't wait for you to actually take some decent pics and post em up!

9. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

I shaved the door! Haha It's such an honor to do this car but on top of that its just a really nice car! A low mileage original car that sits just right and drives like a dream. Ryan has the right idea to just shave off the stuff that I'm 100% sure the designers didn't want on the car in the first but the corporate powers made it so. With name badges everywhere and an antenna that could be used for deep sea fishing, that simple shave is proving to be very effective. My favorite Ryan quote of the project came during our discussion of outside mirrors and my disdain for them. When finally asked if the only outside mirror on the car should stay or not he simply and eloquently said "Fuck that mirror". Now that's a true writer!! Haha
    Ill post pictures has we go along but it really be a how to do paint and body or a totally play by play but just some shots here and there and ill let Ryan post up the completed pics.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Yeah...it sucks when you dont notice it, but when someone else notices it; then YOU do too..and it sucks because all you do is dwell on the fact that you can see that one little imperfection! (BIG SIGH! -been there, done that-with my old Benz i owned) anywho.. i love Riv's....especially the body style that you have! good luck w/ the fix! i'm sure it'll look great in the hands of a good shop :) and from the sound of it, you got it at a good place!!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Can you imagine that conversation? The marketing guys are all like, "We've got to continually impress our brand into the market and the buyer. It's imperative! And we do that by placing no less than 6 Buick logos on the exterior of the car. Further, we need to introduce the idea that the driver is piloting something more special than just a Buick. It's a 'Riviera by Buick,' so we need some of those logos sprinkled throughout as well."

And then there is that maverick design guy sitting in the corner of the board room. The guy that did most of the grunt work and got none of the glory. I bet none of his clothes fit and his hair has missed a cut or two. He's all like, "I will kill that mother fucker and eat his babies if he puts one more logo on my car."

Of course, he didn't say that... only thought it... cuz well, he has a family to support and all... And he needs this terrible god damned job.

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

I don't wanna be that guy, but Verde Green is totally redundant.

13. I was told that isn't recognized as Texas!:D

Shaved door handles...? Now how does an average person pass on an idea to Buick marketing???

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Again, it's those marketing assholes.

Nope door handles stay. I decided my kids would totally hate not having door handles when I pick them up at school.

15. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

We decided to keep the door handles since this is also Ryan's family cruiser. His small children getting in and out of the car all the time makes solenoids a pain. Plus the door handles and just that small touch of chrome that 60's cars need in my opinion.

16. Riv's are like Coca Cola bottles,
    you don't need writing on them to know what they are.

That whole Trailer Park Boys missing passenger door thing is so pass'e anyways.

17. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

A friend of mine refers to it as, "South Oklahoma"! :)

18. I'm a Rvieria owner, and I have to agree with your assessment that they need a slight "shave and a haircut" to get 'em looking right. Gotta be careful not to go too far, though. Some elements (like the door handles, and most of the trim) need to stay for aesthetics. They compliment the car, not detract from it.

Love the analogy of the designer who poured his heart and soul into the car only to have the corporate bean-counters put their thumbprint on it. That is so true. Luckily, in the '60s, Bill Mitchell built a team of amazingly talented designers in the GM Design Studios, and their designs don't need much at all to be "perfect". Back then, those boys were at the top of their game. When you start taking a Riviera apart and you see all of the unique trim, brackets, and structure, and then realize that those pieces were not on any other GM car and unique to Riviera, only then can you fully appreciate the masterpiece that they created. Those cars are badass.

19. deto

deto

As weird as this sounds, the removable door skin is one of my favorite features on the rivs... I know, like I said, I'm weird....

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

More Pictures Beeyotch.

21. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Anxious to watch the progress on this one. Glad you're sticking with the Verde Green...

22. No, it's not blue-green, or Red Green, it's just green-green :D

There's also a deep blue that's stunning. I've been trying to get Stevie G to paint his that way, OR the 90's Buick "Black Sapphire Metallic". My folk's '91 Riviera was that color and it was deep and rich- in the day, you could see that it was really blue, but at night it looked black until you got under a street light, and it'd shine/almost glow!

23. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Driving the Rivi back from Austin to Denison. ImageUploadedByTJJ1357925505.037011.jpg

24. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

i worked for 10 years as an auto damage appraiser, off lease inspector & fleet return inspector. it trained my eyes to see every little wave, bump, dent, scratch....whatever. it got to the point where i could see poor previous repair work on a car passing me on the hwy. when my dad brought home a brand new 97 Grand Prix GTP, the first thing i noticed was a tiny outward dent on the RF fender. drove me nuts.

anyway, whenever the body work phase starts on my own car, i wonder how insane that'll make me.

25. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Love the Rivi's...always a classic look. Can't wait to see more on this one!

26. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Back at Atlas and in good company. ImageUploadedByTJJ1357927471.377565.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357927493.030799.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  27. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Bye bye line killing badges. ImageUploadedByTJJ1357928353.411385.jpg

Why does one little emblem need 7 studs to hold it on! Thats just 7 holes to fill.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357928415.897816.jpg

28. seatex

seatex

Sounds like the Revolution had an extra bonus for you, Ryan. Me too, I ended up trading my Hemi A for Pushrod Mike's "57 wagon (pimpin' ain't easy). NOT to hijack a thread, but I can't wait to see what Jamie does with the 392..............Riv's in good hands!

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That bad boy is in GOOOOOOD Hands.......:)

30. There's a 65 Riviera in my future.