Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pedal car guys: what did you do for a seat cushion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wally426ci, Jan 11, 2013.

1. wally426ci

wally426ci

I grabbed a pedal car for my little girls and I am trying to figure out how to fabricate a seat cushion for it. I have some foam and vinyl but wondering if I should make a pan? Or just spray adhesive the vinyl to the foam.....

Can I see what you guys did? or any ideas for a good price?

here it is. I have since found a steering wheel.

Thanks!;)

Attached Files:

2. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Cut a 1/2" sheet of plyboard to fit, spray adhesive the foam to the board, wrap the vinyl around and staple.

3. That's how I did it. HRP

4. wally426ci

wally426ci

Sweet. I didn't think about stapling. Thanks!!

5. raymay

raymay

Mine build was a combination pedal car and stroller. I applied the foam and upholstery material with adhesive and staples to a thin board for the back and a thicker board for the seat base. The seat base is attached with short screws that go in from the bottom. A gray carpet material was glued to the sides and to a removable floor pan used to convert the pedal car into a stroller. The stroller handle slides into the tail pipes.

Attached Files:

6. wally426ci

wally426ci

That is beautiful! I like the idea of adding carpet so it is more comfy!

I love the ideas guys, keep it rolling!

7. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

I would recommend indoor/outdoor carpet because it has a rubber backing and easy to glue. (comes in many colors) Also if you want to get fancy have someone sew a vinyl edging around the carpet.
    For the seat you could take your foam and material to a sewer and have pleats sewen in to make a rolled and pleated seat.
    Just a sugestion.......

8. belair

belair

A/C is a bit more involved.

9. I have always made my own although you can buy them for the more common cars like yours. Here is one I made. Vinyl material and thin batting. And early Ford influence.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      187.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      271.6 KB
      Views:
  10. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Speedways pedal car dept, Blue Diamond Classics, sell pads that are pretty close to the original Murray pads, not a lot of cushion, but looks right

11. I had a peddle car that resembled the one in the picture and it did not have a seat cusion. Of course I was a little kid and I didn't care, it is remarkable how tuff little kids are.

12. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Added to my "how to list"

13. wally426ci

wally426ci

Yep, they can ride it bare but I thought of adding a little comfort. I want to modify/lose the ladder racks. Eventually it would be cool to paint it turquoise to match my truck...... I'll try to stop beeing cheap and get some dog dish hubcaps maybe...

14. Mine obviously didn't even remotely resemble the Ol' Man's roadster but it was mine.

Is that an old peddle car or a new one built to like an old one? This is just my cat like curiosity comming out. It looks so much like I remember my peddle car that it is scarry.

The clapper got removed from my bell extremly early one saturday morning as I recall. My big sister put it back in then told the folks that I did it when they came home from shopping. My dad died thinking that I found the clapper and put it back in. For some reason he was always proud of that.

15. wally426ci

wally426ci

Mine (in the 1st picture) is an old one. I believe this model went from 1959-1975 but no idea what actual year this is. I suspect it is an early one based on graphics. I didn't want a chinese one so I held out and finally found this one for $80, so far the steering wheel has cost me $39 & I just bought dog dish caps today for $30 - I'm not worried about having too much invested, but I am cheap by nature so I try to get deals anywhere that I can.

16. Yours is the one I was talking about, in the first pic in the first post on the thread. There are a few amusing stories about the one I had, maybe another time as they are probably not amusing to anyone but me. ;)

Mine would have been '59, that was a pretty good year for me.

17. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I cut the backing out of 1/2 plywood, had a friend sew the pleats, glued on the foam and stapled the vinyl to the plywood. For the side panels I glued the vinyl to some 1/8" pvc sheeting.

Attached Files: