Register now to get rid of these ads!

How did you get hooked on to old cars ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30FordNerd, Jan 11, 2013.

1. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

G'day guys, I just wanted to know how did you get the bug for old cars?. Do you know what year, the place, the first time you saw a hot rod, what magazine you saw it in anything that got you hooked.

Well my story began with my dad, and just took off from there.

2. Deuces

Deuces

It started when they all started looking the same...:(

3. thekid1950

thekid1950

I was 12 y/o in 63. My brother's friend always had a 49-50-51 ford....would drive them til he killed them...& would just buy another for $50 bucks....

He painted them with spray cans...windows, chrome, everything..& would just razor the windows clear & drive....he also painted them with a paint brush...I LOVED THEM!

4. Dad bought an old GMC truck used in Full Metal Jacket film, stripped it down and rebuilt it. I was a kid at the time and just really enjoyed getting covered in oil and grease helping out, its what boys do right. Well I never grew up, I still get covered in oil and grease.

5. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

My father restored old cars, LaSalles, Packards, Auburns etc. 1st car I ever drove was a 1910 Hupmobile when I was 13

6. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

7. Owned some of them when I was a kid.

8. eppster

eppster

I started driving our H Farmall tracter on our small farm when I was about eight, by twelve I graduated to driving parts to the blacksmith in the little town of Ralston that was about a quarter mile away from us. I had have the seat all the way up with a pillow for height. Doing that allowed my dad to keep working in the feild or whatever. It was small town USA in the 50's and n to my knowledge no one ever said anything about it. So from that point on I was hooked on cars.

9. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

My grandfather built me this...
    [​IMG]

While I was helping him to restore this...
    [​IMG]

Which lead to me building this..
    [​IMG]

10. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

it`s in my DNA!

11. They were new when I started driving.
    Later,
    Dick

12. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

My first car was a 1950 Fleetline back in 1975. Even though it was only 25 years old at the time it came across as a very old car compared to a 25 year old car today. This got my dad thinking about all the cars he had in his younger days so he bought a 1939 Oldsmobile then a 1939 Chevy truck. Then my brother bought a 1940 Plymouth coupe that he still owns. That's what got our family into old cars. But it was my 50 Chevy that I bought when I was 15 years old that started it.

13. scrubba

scrubba

I've been a professional mechanic for too many years . I saw the handwriting on the wall several years ago what with the polution stuff, catalist exaust , electronic ignitions . Then , it was front wheel drive .

Look, say what ya will about any of this stuff. Electronic ignitions fail when there are temperature changes . The smog pumps and vacumm hoses robbed what power and economy a small engine could muster . Besides , cars built after about 1970 have about as much pazaz as a Washington Polititian ! scrubba

14. txturbo

txturbo

I started wanting a car when I was 11. Every saturday morning I would spend an hour looking at the classifieds in the newspaper. Knew the only way I was going to get one was to buy a project. There was a 50 Chevy truck sitting in a field behind a construction company that my mom drove by everyday taking me to and from school....always wanted to stop but she wouldn't. My dad worked out of town during the week...so he was only home on the weekends. Finally one saturday we were driving into town one saturday morning and I asked him if he would stop so I could go look at it. We did....it had a rebuilt motor sitting in it that wasn't hooked up. He called the owner and the guy said he would sell it for $50 but we had to wait till the next weekend. The next weekend came and the guy called and said he changed his mind. So over the next few months we stopped at different junk yards and stuff. I found a 57 Belair with all the options....but the guy didn't want to sell that one car out of the 40 that were there. Thats the only one I really wanted. About a week later we found a guy that had a 40 Ford Coupe and a 57 Belair sitting in a field next to his house. We stopped....I liked the coupe but it was $600...way over the budget....so I bought the Belair for $230. My dad bought it....but took me to the bank to get a loan in my name to pay him back. I didn't get it road worthy until I was 13. Best day of my life was the day I took it for the first drive....with no windshield.I worked on it until I was 15 and got my license....my dad passed away....then about 6 months later I had it legal and road ready. Drove it all thru high school. That was just the beginning.

15. Well I was born in June and got real sick for christmas, I was on the salt before I got sick.

My first ride in a car (trip home from hospital) was in a '41 Willys pickup with a baby nailhead in it.

While I don't really remember any of those events to this day I still believe that a baby nail breathing through a pair of Smithy's is what a car should sound like.

In answer to your question or questions I really have no idea, some of what is considered old cars were not that old when I was a young man.

Here is an answer that I can give you and you will need to come up with an question. The HAMB made me realize that the dream I was chasing I had already lived.

Ryan and a select group of fellas on this board helped me get focused once again. So if Ryan or any of that select group is reading this I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  16. All the kids in my town looked up the the members of the local hot rod club "The Mill Rockers". We thought they and their cars were the coolest. They all had old cars with big engines that went like hell. I always liked the look of those cars and I haven't ever gotten over it.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My uncle bought a 40 ford in the late 60s and my dad and uncle took me to junkyards and swapmeets and that got me started.

18. Really is the right answer for me too. well not new but our family always had cars that were 5-10 years old. equal to a 2003-2008 car now. my dad could fix anything and usually kept cars for many years. it's what I learned and drove too.
    I tell people today that if it doesn't have Points and Carbs it's not mine.

19. Back in 1962 we had a neighbor that lived behind us on a corner lot,,Mr.Burton was his name,,never knew his first name and from the time I was 10 years old I cut his grass during the summer.

He drove a 53/56 Ford truck to work and had some kind of accident and walked with a bad limp that's probably why I cut his grass.
    Anyway,I would go to his barn and get what I needed to do his yard work and there half covered with a old green canvas army tent was a 32 Ford 5-window coupe,

I always looked forward to entering that sacred tomb each summer until that day in early June he told me that my services were no longer needed,,,he explained that he was moving up north to live with his sister,,,he ask me did I want the lawnmower to go into business cutting other folks yards,,,I gladly went to the shed to retrieve the mower and gaze one last time at the coupe,,which had not moved the whole time we lived next to him.

I ask him was he gonna drive the old car to his sisters or pull it,,,His answer was,,No,son,I'm gonna have to sell the old gal,,,with that reply,,I fired back how much?

His answer was already established because 75 bucks came back as quick as I ask.,,,I'll buy it,I said.
    He looked at me and said we need to talk to your dad,,,not wanting my dad to say no,,,I told Mr. Burton I would talk to dad tonight when he gets home from work,,,

Next dad I sat outside Mr. Burton's front door,,it seemed to be forever,,but I knew he worked second shift and I didn't dare wake him up,,It just might screw things up.

Around noon he exited his house and ask how long had I been there and if I had discussed the sale with my dad,,I told him I just came over a few minutes ago and dad said it was OK with him,,,,

BTW,,I never once said a word to my dad,,I really didn't need the money,,I robbed my cigar box and with my grass cutting money,birthday money and my entire life savings I had enough money and some change,,enough money to buy the coupe and fix it up,,,Hey ,I was 12 years old,,,I didn't know what I do today.

So,,I handed Mr. Burton my hard earned cash and we proceed to unearth the coupe,,man,That car was nice,,original black paint,Flathead V8,and all 4 tires were shot and rotten,,,but I had the biggest grin on my face as I fought with all my might trying to guide it as Mr. Burton pulled it behind his truck across his yard into my parents side yard.

I was the happiest kid in the world for about three hours,,,,

That was when my dad got home,,,,the first words out of his mouth was what was that junk car doing in our yard?,,,from there it got ugly,,,he called Mr. Burton,,,woke him up,,remember,,2nd shift,,he was a little more than annoyed,,he and dad got into a debate about not clearing it with him first and that I was 12 years old and had no business with a car and for him to come and get it out of his yard,,and if he wanted to,,,keep the money Danny gave you for lying to us both,,,and he would take care of me,,I knew what was gonna happen,,they don't call this part of the South the Bible Belt for nothing.

Heavy on the belt,,,,long story coming to a end,,,Mr. Burton gave me my money back and he had a big laugh,,,a few days later both he and the car were gone,, never to be seen again,,,,

Many years later my dad and I talked about what had now become known as the Ol' ford coupe incident and how he never dreamed that I would ever be able to restore and build cars from the ground up and how badly I wanted that car,,,,and how he was proud of me when people would stop by our business and ask about the different cars that
    I would drive to work,,,,,,,,

At that time the 32 Ford coupes were already reaching unheard of prices,,and he just couldn't believe it.

A few weeks before he passed away the subject came up again,,he said I sure hope you find a ol' coupe like that one someday,,,,I told him,,it was probably a good thing he didn't let me keep it,,I would have made a hot rod and gotten myself killed in it,,he smiled and said,,Nobody will ever know son,,we can't go back,,but if I could,,,you would let to keep that car.

All you guys got is my word on this tale,,,all the players are deceased,except me,,,nobody knows the where a bout's of the 32 coupe,,,but I'm willing to bet the owner ain't 12 years old!

BTW,,4 years later I did get to keep my next car,,I was 16 years old and I did clear it with dad,,,a 1954 mainline,,, [​IMG]

20. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

As far back as I can remember I have had a facination and a love afair with cars and machinery in general. My dad could fix just about anything and did all his own auto repair. I can remember being about 3 and not tall enough to see into the engine compartment, so my dad provided a small step stool so I could. I was his little helper and quickly learned the various hand tools and would watch in fascination as he tuned a car or whatever. After that I graduated to the official, key bumper, pedal pumper, steering wheel rocker. It has not stopped since. Also rmember Dad taking me to my first car show at about the same age. St.Louis Concourse D"Elegance. Would have been in the mid sixties. I thought that was the coolest ever. Growng up, when other kids were playing sandlot baseball, I was taking apart carburetors. Never cared for sports just cars, cars, cars. Got my first car at 14, which I still own. As someone else posted its in the DNA.Sorry if I rambled.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Christmas present one year. It's been all down hill ever since.

22. mopar57

mopar57

As long as I can remember I would ne out in the garage or driveway with my father doing maintenace or repairing his cars.I was always taking things apart and putting them back together.My dad and I would always try to go to a car show or diner type place where people would meet up and just look at old cars.So now that im older I try to do the same for my kids hoping they will follow in my footsteps.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

My grandfather raced circle track in the 60's. him and three of his friends ran a 32 Ford coupe with a number 74 on the sides. Following that, he went through a list of model T's, some 50's Chevy cars, and lastly, a 51 Ford F1 with a 327. That truck was sold somewhere around 1970 when that truck was sold.
    I grew up with pictures and stories, Hotwheels and dads hopped up 4x4's. As my grandfathers retirement grew near, so did my 16 TH birthday. He was looking for a 51 Ford to restore, and had the 327 from the original 51 tucked away under the workbench.
    First came a steal on a 54 Chevy that he couldn't turn down, then it got passed to me when a deal was scored on a 55 Ford. He thought that was a little closer to what he wanted. About. The time it was finished, we come across a half finished 51 F1, which he now has, and is nearly together.

25. flathead okie

flathead okie

HOTRODPRIMER.............. cool story.

26. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

In short! I intervened in a really crappy situation and hand delivered the woman he loved to my best friend down in Mississippi. I never told him what I was doing. Sometimes you just do wha'ts right. Pulled into his yard 42hrs later in Laurel Mississippi. He came out the door and totally lost it. He blessed me with his 1930 Ford Coupe. He knew I always wanted one and said it would "change my life"....... I gave it back many years later and built my 29 truck out of a Sedan cowl. There is nothing like building it yourself out of whatever you can find. Yessir he was right, been building cars every since. Totally changed my life.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Easy! March 13th, 1965... The day I was born. No choice when you are born into a family that makes it's living running a speed shop! I was at Minnesota Dragways the fifth or sixth weekend I was alive and many, many after that. Came home from the hospital in a '29 sport coupe...

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy likes this.
  28. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

my first car was a 56 zepher. bought it when i was 11 for 35.00 . i used to buy a lot of old cars and part them out till i turned 14.wish i had a few back. but it is a sickness to which i have found no cure

29. aaggie

aaggie

They weren't old when I got hooked, we just got old together.

30. fsae0607

fsae0607

I remember as a kid helping my dad work on his '63 Impala SS and when he did repairs on the family cars. I did all the grunt work, like cleaning parts and fetching tools. I caught the bug when he let me use gojo to clean my little 5-year old hands. I thought getting my hands greasy was the best thing in the world!