Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Gas Tank in Model A Chassis.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jan 8, 2013.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I plan to install at a later date a 32 gas tank in my 29 model A coupe, sounds simple enough.

My question is has anybody done this install and also have the rear spring set behind the differential.

I am looking for low as well as a new gas tank.

Is there enough room to relocate the rear spring and still fit the 32 style gas tank in the correct position???

It would sure be helpful to know ahead of time the pit falls and whether it is possible!!!

2. There is,and I hate using this word "KIT" available to add a '32 tank to a Model A,,there is some sort of frame extension and when done it looks pretty darn good.

There is a Hamber that has this setup on his sedan,,but I can't remember who.

I think I save a photo of his car,,I'll look for it. HRP

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Pretty sure the guy you are thinking of is VON RIGG or something like that.
    He is pretty knowledgable about this stuff.
    I am hoping he will provide an opinion, but not sure if many have done this install with the rear spring behind the diff...

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Doesn't Dagel's Garage sell the kit for this modification?

Frank

5. Crusty Nut is the guy I'm thinking about. HRP

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

They sell the gas tank kit, but from what I can see it is based on the stock spring over diff configuration.
    Somebody who has done this install and would be best placed to make an informed comment on the possibilities.

7. charlieb66

charlieb66

Do a search, you will find exactly what you are asking for.

8. flathead okie

flathead okie

9. Fenders

Fenders

Whether a gas tank hanging out the back looks good or looks like a hemmorhoid is a matter of taste...
    I like the look of the Urias '32 in the latest (March) SR page 52.
    But it's your car so what I think doesn't matter.....

10. flathead okie

flathead okie

Yer right it doesn't matter. He asked for help not opinions

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Exactlly...

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for the links to your threads.
    I assume you got what you asked for from the posts you received.
    Folks seem to be missing the point, a model A has the rear spring over the diff and the 32 tank will work for this, but I would like to locate my rear spring behind the diff and was hoping to find somebody on the HAMB who has attempted this ahead of me and hence they could provide me with the facts, will it fit and if so what were the issues during the build...

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you are so sure about this, help me out and tell me where it can be found since you make it sound so easy...

14. charlieb66

charlieb66

OK, I am in the process of doing the 32 tank in a Model A coupe now. I am using an aftermarket frame with the rear cross member behind the axle. From what I see in my mockup, is that the tank will not conflict with the crossmember on my frame, and therefore I don"t think it will conflict with the spring behind the axle. The filler neck is sort of the limiting factor as to the fore/aft position of the tank. I will try to get some pics and measurements for you later today.

15. charlieb66

charlieb66

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Now we are getting somewhere.
    Thanks for coming back with that information and boy do I look forward to seeing how much space is available between the tank and the diff for that spring.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

That link was interesting, however I dont think I will be trying to achieve that level of perfection, although it would be nice.
    Maybe a little easier using a 32 frame.
    I am using a model A frame, moving the rear crossmember back and putting a slight zee to accommodate the lower stance.

I will deal with those decisions when I am much closer to the time.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

19. charlieb66

charlieb66

email sent with pics.

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks Charlie, they are great.
    I'll help you post them later if you have the time.

21. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

I just made my own kit. Bought some rear horns, tubing and a tank. I propped the tank and horns(bolted together) to where I thought they looked good. Made some cardboard templates to join the pieces .
    Transferred all my templates to metal and welded it all up. This was strong enough to adapt a tow ball on my spreader bar and pull a little teardrop later on.

Attached Files:

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice and good information thanks.
    I see your life was a little easier using coil over springs which must have helped.

23. Has anyone done this to a full-fendered Tudor? Pics please!

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you mean installing a 32 style gas tank behind a model A tudor, yes attached are a couple of pic's I've found on the HAMB previously.

If you mean about the spring behind the diff and installing a tank, not that I know of, however that is what I have been trying to determine on this thread.

Attached Files:

25. TurboX2

TurboX2

Are you using the stock crossmember or different? If you are. The spring should give you clearence to locate some mounts back to the crossmember and then to the frame for the tank.

The frame that is under my car now (that I am changing) has plates running back to 32 tank horns and they run beside the stock frame and are attached. It gives you all the room that would be needed for clearence of spring,coilovers,etc.

26. If you look at those two cars, orange and black , the black ones tank sticks out what looks like 3x as far as the orange one. I would assume that the tank is as far forward as possible on both of them. Some general dimensions of the components would help you determine how far your set up will leave the tank sticking out.
    If you are set on your ideas, you could cut the front of the tank off and make it all fit and have the stick out what you want. As With everything, its a compromise and this may decrease your fuel carrying capacity if you want 1: spring behind, 2: 32 tank, 3: correct stick out.

27. Thanks fiftyv8, turbox2, 31vwah!

IF I decide to go this route, I would want the filler neck as close to the lower body as possible, as I would also like to at least have the option to keep the spare back there, too. I know it would be a major squeeze, but that's what hot-rodding is all about!

Does anyone have general measurements for a 32 tank?

28. flathead okie

flathead okie

Mine has coilovers behind, which is probable the same, space wise, as spring behind. I have about a 1/2 in clearance.

29. I'll be running original sprong-over-axle, so I ought to have at least 6-8 more inches,...right?!?!

30. flathead okie

flathead okie

Should be fine, they make kits for original A frames w/32 tanks.