Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please STEER me in the right direction.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carfanatic, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Well I traded my '34 Ford RR for this Model A a couple of months ago. It was put together quite well (even with the Chevy doors) except for the steering. There was alot of bump steer. After looking it all over I noticed the steering box (manual steer) was moving. With the truck sitting still, turning the steering wheel quarter turn either way,the box was moving about 1/4" either way of center. After overcoming that problem, now when I drive it, no more bump steer. But the issue at hand would be. It seems to steer way to easy. Kinda like the best power steering you ever had. If this makes sense. I would like to slow it down if anyway possible. Maybe different ratio box?? It has the model A steering wheel. Going to look into caster angle for it. The truck is 4x4 with all 1968 Ford Bronco 6cyl drivetrain and running gear. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I dont know, but, 4x4 eh? Put early ford wires on it, is should be the same bolt pattern. OOH, Put AA Rims on it!

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

A shorter pitman arm?

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

You might do better on a Bronco forum than here for alignment specs.

Tell Steve Smith "Hey" for me.

5. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Ya I was going to look on Classic Broncos for the specs. I have received alot of help and usefull info from the HAMB so I thought I would start here.

6. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Just what I thought too, wire wheels. Going to look at a set tomorrow actually. Any tips on what years might be best??

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I wonder would a heavy duty steering shock help any by offering some turning resistance?
    Maybe a smaller steering wheel?

NICE truck!
    Not traditional in the HAMB sense but I'd LOVE to own it anyway!
    Looks like the builder put a lot of careful thought and good work into it.

8. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

9. Beau

Beau

Only the Kelsey Hayes wires will work from what I have read. I don't think stock wires will clear the Bronco rear drums.

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Yep, if you are negative it will not self correct and try to steer itself through turns.

11. mramc1

mramc1

Cool truck!

12. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Is there a particular year I should be looking for? If it makes any difference its a 9" rear

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Or some spacer or adapters. To make wires fit. But 28-3? Big truck like these could work.

Attached Files:

14. metal man

metal man

I like the hubcaps that are on it...they fit the part,being an industrial hot rod. I don't know a hell of a lot about broncos, but the first thing that comes to mind to slow the steering is a shorter pitman arm.

There is a chance that you don't have enough caster. Does the truck go straight, or does it try to dart around at speed?

15. olskool34

olskool34

16. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

The issue is the mating surface of the back of the 28-35 wire rim offsets about an inch.

17. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Couldn't have said it better.

18. Model A's had an original 2:1 reduction ration for steering, later a 7:1 ratio was offered, you may have this, it makes a huge difference.

19. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Checking on a Bronco sight now for specs. Only have taken it for two rides since fixing the floppy box. Will take it for another ride tomorrow and check for self correcting steer. As far as the wires go I'll go look at them but might wait till I get the steering fixed first. Thanks for the info, keep it coming, please.

20. Beau

Beau

Yeah, I was going to mention that but the wheels already stick way out :D

21. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

If drive train & suspension is all stock Bronco is P/S pump original Bronco part also ? I think caster & camber is adjustable only possible with offset aftermarket sleeve on ball joint you wont get much. Model A steering wheel probably is not much bigger diameter than a stock Bronco wheel . Make sure frame did not crack around steering box. I spent years doing alignments and found several that frame cracked around the box mounting holes.

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I didn't look back to his first post but I THINK he said it was a manual box.

Offroaders get caster increases by using offset radius arm bushings to rotate the axle...but of course you MUST consider driveshaft angles when you do something like that.
    Not sure what degrees of rotation are available.

His problem with the steering being too light puzzles me.
    Apparently the entire frame and suspension is early Bronco so it SHOULD drive like an early Bronco.
    Strange that he's having issues!

23. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Yes it is manual steer, Bronco box. Actually the frame is rear halfed with the Bronco frame and the front half is model A. Its made with two model A frames. The rails are boxed using the opposite sides. A right rail boxing a left rail and visa versa.

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ohhhh...OK!
    I wonder is the caster correct now as well.
    It's possible the builder had some issues and set the caster a little off as he fit the axle/suspension to the A frame.

My first step, all things considered, would be to get a wheel alignment and make sure FIRST that the operator can give you a printed readout of what the proper specs are for an early Bronco AND the settings your car has at the moment.
    If there are issues that show up you can post the specs and some pictures of the problem to get suggestions on the simpliest and safest ways to repair them.

25. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

No. I don't think the caster is right. I took it for a ride this morning and it doesn't self center. When you wrote this

26. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

If it won't self center make sure it does'nt have a drive axle joint freezing up. As far as radius arm bushings I've seen poly bushings to replace the wandering you get with old rubber bushings. Again with the offset bushings what much could you gain or lose 1 degree maybe (per side) it depends how much room around the bushing between arm and mount ? Anybody used them before ?

27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You could run a set of 40's Willy's Jeep wheels, they would have a big enough hole for the front hub and they look like the early Ford Steely rims. Don't know if the Ford Caps fit them.

28. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Well I have been looking around and the bushing on the trailing arms that go around the axle is called a C-bushing. Apparently you can get then stock OR with 2.5-7.5 degrees caster built into them for lifted trucks. I now have to find out if they can be turned over depending on witch way the axle has to go for the correct caster. LMC has stock replacements for $8.95 each. Thinking of buying a set so I have a good solid baseline to start with for the alignment.

Thanks