Register now to get rid of these ads!

'Shoeboxes'. Only Ford & Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro-Nicky, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Nitro-Nicky

Nitro-Nicky

I'm expanding some of my knowledge base this week. I don't hear references to 'Shoebox' cars in any of the popular hot rodding rags; although I have a faint understanding that they related to 56 chevys and some of the bullet-nosed Ford cars. Were all mid-fifty vehicles that were basically squared off referred to as thus?

Thanks, Nitro

2. j conrad

j conrad

well as far i as know in the early days only 1949-1951 ford were the ones called shoeboxes. mostly called that because they were the first flat sided cars , previous cars had pontoon style fenders and the other cars of the era although built flater and more streamlined still held onto the more bubbled look of the buldging fenders of the previous years

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I heard the Dutch were the first to have showboxes....

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1949-1951 Ford.

5. daddio211

daddio211

Yep, what Gimpy said.

You can search this, there are probably a dozen threads on this very topic, all with the same outcome. Somebody thought "such and such" was a Shoebox cuz that's what their uncle called it, and someone else always called a "such and such" a Shoebox, but the VAST majority here agree that Shoebox ONLY applies to '49-51 Fords.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I was born in 87, so i van only say what they have been called in minnesota in the scant 26 years ive been here. I never heard anything but a 1949-51 ford called a shoebox until I joined the hamb. All the older hot rod folk around me growing up referred to the 55-57 chevy's as tri-5 chevy's.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Shoboxes are ONLY 49-51 Fords. Anybody that says any different doesn't know what they are talking about and are only talking to you about cars so that you'll think they're cool. They aren't.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, you can call a pig a duck, but it ain't gonna quack.

9. Scumdog

Scumdog

Now THAT I gotta remember!:D

10. Skam213

Skam213

hahaha awesome.

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

hahaha...think ive heard this b4 but totally forgot about it. awesome line.

12. Nitro-Nicky

Nitro-Nicky

Well maybe that piggy ain't gonna 'quack', but he sure is gonna 'squeel' just like my back tyres!
    Thanks guys for straightening... that one out! Nitro-Nicky

13. I have heard the 49 to 51 Fords being called shoe boxes ever since I was a kid,,so the term has been used in the South for a long,long time. HRP