Register now to get rid of these ads!

free 50's beach crusier to a kid my way of paying it foward

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tylersloan, Jan 6, 2013.

1. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Cats out of the bag. Thanks Tyler, I think.

FWIW, my first response to Tylers post was this -

Originally Posted by HighSpeed LowDrag
    long story short - I have a friend that has a kid who is one of those troubled kids. I do what I can for him. He was put in jail last year for stealing a car while on drugs. I came down hard on him even though I'm not his Dad or his Mom's boyfriend. His mom is a friend of mine. Anyway, he has made strides towards changing his life. He just got his GED this past fall even though no one thought he would be able to do it. Trust me, no one thought that he would put in the effort. But he did it. Not for anyone else, he did it for his self.

His name is also Tyler. Tyler want's to be a welder and has some mechanical ability. He would love the bike, I'm sure. If you would give it to him, I would be willing to bring him down with me to pick it up and you could meet him. I work at a car restoration shop so anything it needs, he could do on a Saturday if I take him to work with me.

Beware that if Tyler gets to know you, that you'll absolutely have to be in conact with him because that's just the way he is. Something to do with not having a dad around when he was groing up, i guess. I don't know.

All I know is that he's a good young man trying to change his life and if he could have something that he could show the before and after, it would mean the world to him. I've seen his before and I've seen his after. His after is so much better. He knows it and A bike to restore correctly would be a great next step.

As a side note, I have a 1924 model T that I've had for years. Since I do this restoration thing every day for a living, I don't really want to came home and work on it. I've thought about giving it to Tyler but haven't becuase it might be overwhelming to him. A bike would be a nice start for him to see if he has what it takes.

Let me know. Either way is cool.

I live in Spring and work in Bellair. You're not that for away.

Mark

Scince that time I have spoken to Tylersloan a number of times and he has been nothing more than a HAMB'er. Even though Tylersloan is goiong through rough times, he want's to pay this forward. For whatever reason, I'm still not sure, but I will insure that his generosity is something that we can all learn from.

The latest update is that Tyler #2 is "stoked" to have something cool to restore. M hope is that he can start small and go from there. It doesn't even have to be about bikes or cars, i just want him to know that he can do whatever he puts his mind to.

As Tylersloan said, "it's a life lesson".

Couldn't have said it better myself.

We hope to pick the bike up next weekend and will show progree as it happens. might take a while. Might not.

The kicker is that Tyler #2 also has to pay it forward. This should be interesting.

I'll keep everone up to date as things happen,

Mark

P.S. Tylersloan needs help too.

help me find a 27 to 29 ford roadster body and model A or 32 ford frame please

2. I'm surprised one of the Hamb numb-skulls hasn't replied to this post wth some ridiculous nonsense like: "what if he falls down on the bike and sues you", or "what if the bike was stolen, and the original owner finds the bike and beats the kid up". Lol...good on you for doing a cool thing! I posted a similiar pay it forward post and the Hamb drama queens killed it. Guess they weren't paying attention this time, Happy new Year! Good Karma dude

3. chunk40

chunk40

thats awsome...........

4. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Very cool... nice job Tylersloan. :D

5. stuff like this is why I still beleive

6. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

I'm just happy I could do this I was looking at the bike and just said hey I bet some kid could use this or would love to have it .
    Only thing that I WANT is Tyler #2 to learn about life his story is almost like mine its strange to say the least it's more than a bike now it's about a kid learning he can do good and use his hands for positive things and boost his self-esteem and im just glad I could be a part of this =)

7. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Two steps from homeless and still giving things away to the less fortunate. You sir deserve every bit of good karma you'll receive. Good dudes are few and far between these days! Thanks!

8. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

I got untill February to move problem is I can't afford rent and deposit on my on I can pay one or the other . I've tried to save back cash but my wife don't have a job she was hit by a car 2 1/2 years ago and her back is tore up but enough about me lets get back to the cool bike that Tyler #2 has !

9. Beau

Beau