Register now to get rid of these ads!

a little help for a fng

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41pontiac, Jan 9, 2013.

1. 41pontiac

41pontiac

any suggestions on what to use to clean out a gas tank that has been sitting for awhile. thanks

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Take it to a radiator repair shop and have them boil it out in their tank, using their
    harsh chemicals.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^ that's always a good way.

I had one a while back that had like 1" of old gas in it, and didn't look too bad inside. drained the gas, used some kerosene and several lengths of chain inside the tank, sloshed it around a bit using the chain to knock away any crud and it cleaned up pretty good. again, this tank really didn't have any visible rust, just the crud on the bottom.

learned this from my motorcycle days, just used more/bigger chain for the car tank.

4. Dizzie

Dizzie

I used a phosphoric acid based product that I bought at Home depot in the paint dept. Don't remember the name of it. Put a couple lengths of chain in and worked it around, cleaned the crud and rust to very clean metal inside.

5. lawman

lawman

Good info guy's. I have used just water and an air hose in the
    past.

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

i usually do the hunk of chain, handfull of bolts (count how many) and a buddy to shake it around.

7. Guaranteed to do the job. HRP

8. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Go to Home Despot and buy a gallon of MEK (Methyl Ethel Ketone). It's in the paint aisle in the same section as thinner, etc. Pour it in the tank along with the aforementioned length of chain. Let sit. Slosh around. Sit some more. Slosh around. Drain. Repeat as (or if) necessary.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let MEK sit on your skin or let it come in contact with you for any period of time. It is NASTY SHIT that will play roulette with your genetics, I'm not kidding.

But it will clean out a gas tank like no one's business.

Chris

9. aaggie

aaggie

Please be careful using the solvent and chain method of cleaning out the crud. Remove the sending unit so it doesn't get damaged in the process.

10. Rocket man 88

Rocket man 88

i cleaned the tank out on my 53 with a big bottle of navel jelly rust remover with the right amount of water and directions on the bottle and soaking time it was easy...it was varnished but not heavily rusted out. i then , out of habit, poured in a 2 liter of coke and then sloshed gas around in it. i have been running my old's for 3 years now and haven't had a problem with any type of gas crud in the lines carb or filter...but what ever method you do use just be extremley careful if useing a flammable substance, one hard spark and you won't need a tank anymore...but will need a ton of gauze and cream....good luck

11. I'm getting ready to drop the tank on our 49 Ford. It sat in a shed for 4 years. Replacing the fuel line. My plan is to look-see after I get it off. Probably take it to the local radiator shop...

12. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I think we have a winner!

Nowheresville...................isn't that up in the panhandle?

13. 41pontiac

41pontiac

Thanks all for the help. It sat for 30 years but looks like there was little gas left in there. It's not ad bad as I thought . Would you replace sending unit and lines ?

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I would make sure that the tank is spotless inside and probably Slosh it to be sure that no contaminates leech into the fuel. Then I would look at the sending unit and lines..................but I'm anal.

15. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I had a 1/4" of build up in the bottom of my tank, black stuff, some of it was probably as old as the car (1951). POR-15 Marine Clean knocked it out of there.

16. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Put chain inside, tie it to a cement mixer and let it run for a few hours. Will be loud!!! but works.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  17. supervert

supervert

I would use a couple of gallons of vinegar and let sit over night, then toss in some baking soda and water and shake real well and rinse.

18. I'd have a radiator guy do it.

I used to think no big deal but my hotrod sits outside under a carport and after a month of not driving my carb was gummed up do much it hardly ran

19. txturbo

txturbo

I tried to do the radiator shop thing once.....couldn't find anyone that wanted to mess up thier tank with it.

20. Whatever route you take-radiator shop is probably best,at the end put about a gallon or so of E-85 gas in and slosh around but no chain or metal!It seems to be a good cleaner-probably all its good for.

21. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

acetone from home depot worked well for me. no sloshing or chains - i just let it soak. when finished, it just evaporated in the sun.

before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Exactly what happened here :(

23. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone used the Eastwood cleaner/sealer kit? Seems I used something similar to it a few years back on a tractor. Tank still looks good, but I can't remember the brand of cleaner stuff I used.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. 61 chevy

61 chevy

also blow out gas line from engine to back of car with air

25. No one within an hour's drive from here will touch a gas tank any more, and we live in a BIG metropolitan area with lots of auto repair shops, industrial service companies, etc.

I did the same thing a few years ago... removed the sending unit for easy access to the inside and dumped about 2 quarts of kerosene in there with a short length of chain, but I used some BIG (about 2 or 3 inch OD) flat washers from Lowes and sloshed that around, drained it, and did it again a few times. Seemed like the sharp edges of the flat washers really worked well for scraping the rust flakes off.

Kerosene doesn't mess with your skin as badly and it really isn't dangerously flammable. You have to be a little careful, but it's much safer than harsh chemicals (and you should NEVER use gasoline for cleaning ANYTHING). When I figured that I was about done, I balled up some chain inside of an old sweat shirt and rolled that around to absorb the little bit of kerosene and dirt that was left.

The oily residue from the kerosene will also kill the rust and the tiny, tiny amount that remains will mix in with the gasoline and won't hurt a thing. Not sure what happens if you use other chemicals!

Be sure to use a new filter on the sending unit when you reinstall it as well. I'll also suggest replacing (or at least thoroughly flushing) your fuel lines to the carburetor. Good luck!