Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you guys paying for Louvers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by allstarderrick, Jan 9, 2013.

1. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Like the title asks. What's a Louver cost in your neck of the woods?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

The last I heard its a dollar a louver in Michigan.

3. a dollar a louver is what I have heard around these parts.

4. Chip Quinn (Need Louvers ?) is about the cheapest guy I know of. He's $2 a hole. With his body of work, he could probably charge more. He's in the Phoenix area, and well worth the cost of shipping. He has some of the cleanest layouts and designs I've seen. One of the best in the business.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628974

5. ratrod0

ratrod0

I punch louvers and charge $1 A punch no set up fee

6. Free, I have my own

7. saucerhead

saucerhead

I pay 25 cents per louver. Great guy with perfect shape louver.

8. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paid $50 set up and $1 a punch 114 punches cost me $165 Rockford Ill area, very nice job perfect alinement.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

.65 each, no setup charges.

10. when i do louvers i get $ 1.00 each and usually no set up fee.

but that depends on your attitude.

johnny

11. Last louvers I had punched were FREE ,,but I only had 2 punched. HRP

12. Master of None

Master of None

I charge $1.50 a louver, no set up.

13. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

2 bucks a piece in minnesota

14. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

I would love to see how the louvers look that the guy only charged 25-65 cents each... Are they even remotely straight? haha

I punched several of these panels below the trunk lid and averaged 3 hours each...

So, if I charged 25 cents for 33 louvers, that would be $8.25...which works out to $2.75 an hour!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. My last lover cost $100 an hour. But I was drunk or I wouldn't have paid her that much.

16. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

.75 a hole in SW MO.

17. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I charge $4.00 AUS . per louver, including markup /layout. it can get expensive on a big hood!
    I only know of two other louver punchers in Melbourne, both dearer than me.

18. It seems like some of you guys are getting/giving a pretty amazing deal. After seeing what is involved, it seems like it would take a pretty ideal job to be making anything at even $1 a hole. Anything under that just seems insane.

a boner likes this.
  19. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

$2.00 plus layout and prep if required.

Attached Files:

20. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

i have a louver press that I built using the Williams Low Buck tools kit. It works great. But, I would rather not punch holes in a rare hood and deal with the liability. I have it set up in my garage and if a fellow HAMBer would like to punch their own, they are welcome to it. The hood needs to be down to bare metal and have their layout completed prior to arrival. Shoot me a PM if interested.

-Mitch

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I charge flat rates for the completed job on different size hoods. A model a hood is a hell of a lot easier and less time consuming to do than something like a 50 Ford F-1 hood so the price reflects that

22. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

We charge $2.00 per hole, have 6 different louver sizes, and $65/hr setup

Attached Files:

23. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

i charge .75 cents each for 1-99 louvers, the price drops to .50 cents for jobs over 100 louvers. no set up fee but i do charge by the hour to strip, and remove the braces if needed. my louvers are straight and good looking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Also depends on what quality you want, the last two post are a perfect example, notice the louvers on the car are not crisp around the base or the ends of the louver, done with a simple shear/punch and more than likely an open bottom die, but if you look at the louvers in the post previous to this, you'll notice how crisp the louver is, done with a true stripper shear/punch and formed lower die. You want super clean louver, or just a formed hole? I know a lot of people can't see the difference, but if they were sitting in front of you, it would be very obvious

25. I thought the prices would be a lot higher. Nothing says HOT ROD more than a banjo rear end and louvers.

I would like to louver my Model "A" tail gate. I think the metal may be too heavy.

The first louvered hood I saw was a 48 Ford hood. The car was called "PUSH PUSH". The car was on my brothers paper route. We always had to stop and look at the louvers. I always liked them.

26. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Do you have the dies to do the "Round Top" louvers like the ones posted above? If so, I would like to see what they look like. I'm mainly interested in the lower die and it's construction.

Thanks,
    Mitch

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm surprised you guys are getting them done that cheap. We paid $3 a louver and were happy to find someone for that price. No one in this area does them so we had to build a crate and ship the panel to Orlando and then he shipped it back after punching 204 louvers in it.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  28. russthetinman

russthetinman
    from KC MO

50 cents a louver in Hiawatha Kansas (Davis Body Shop) he advertises in the KKOA magazine.

29. $2.00 unless it has some unusual requirements then it is $3.00. I also have a $50.00 minimum.

30. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Pics of stripper type dies for louvers, The foot holds the metal around the louver, while the punch/shear forms the louver, keeping a nice crisp line around the base of the louver, and causeing much less distortion around the louver itself, next time you see a nice car and the area between the louvers are all wavy and washed out, you'll know they just used one on the mittler brothers type louver punches, Just depends on the quality your looking for and price your willing to pay

Attached Files: