Register now to get rid of these ads!

old ford dealerships

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Jan 7, 2013.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

2. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

3. 56FRLN

56FRLN

It was posted in the 52'-59' Ford group - of course we always have the really cool stuff ;);). I love the shot of the service department. It looks like it could double as a roller rink in the evenings. Nothin' in there but cars.

4. Very cool collection of photos. I saw one with an S&H Green Stamp sign on the building...imagine how many stamps you got with a new '62 406 4-speed 2 door hardtop.

I'm still using the Weller soldering gun I got with Green Stamps in about 1963...

Charlie

5. The second photo of Blue Ridge Motors is here in Anderson,South Carolina,,This is were my wife's grandmother purchased the 1954 "Ranch Wagon" off the show room floor.

[​IMG]

This is a photo of the old dealership as it sits today,,in has been remodeled several times over the years and I remember going there in 1967 to look at the new Mustangs,,at that time the ownership had changed to Guy Motors Ford.

I took this photo several weeks ago. HRP

[​IMG]

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Really glad you posted this. Very nice!

7. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Man did you see that kustom Ranchero out in front of one of the early shots with lancers?!

8. haychrishay

haychrishay

Man! ditto ! Plowboy13 that thing is cool

9. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

yep, had to stop and go back to drool on that for a while, very cool pics.

10. Great work Mr. King, thanks.

11. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

One of the nicest collections of photos I've seen.

12. Wow!
    What a trip back in time.
    Must have been the collection of a zone guy who covered a lot of territory and photographed his many stops in his long career maybe??

I'm very impressed

Anyone got some pics of GM dealerships back in the day?

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Those were great, thanks. I noticed in the repair bay there was an early '50's Chev truck. I thought that the owner must have been smart to go to a Ford dealer to have his truck put right. As I watched more I noticed a lot of GM cars, mainly Chev's and even a Cadillac parked on the Ford lots, adjacent to them, and quite a few in the used car areas. I realized that it must be true that as individuals improve their economic status they like to "buy up" and therefore the GM crowd would finally head over to Ford. I bet even that Caddy owner thought he "movin on up"!

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i really was hoping that someone would see a dealership that they recongnized.maybe bring up some fond memories. glad ya'll liked it. and
    ROLL TIDE!

15. Deuces

Deuces

Got any old BOB FORD Dealership pictures???....
    I live just down the street from where it used to sit... It's now called Fairlane Ford....

16. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I've seen old pictures of Bob Ford dealership, cant remember where though. Building didnt look anything like it does today. All brick.
    Worked at Fairlane Ford back in the late 70's.

I liked the Jesse James dealer. Get a real deal there.

17. charlieb66

charlieb66

In the days of the Model A, Ford delerships were known as "Service Stations". There was a Ford dealer in my home town in South Carolina that retained the name of "McCormick Service Station" until the business was destroyed by fire in 1968. It was located in a store front on main street, two doors down from the Chevrolet dealer.

18. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the great photos. I saw many dealerships that seemed like the same style as those from the Midwest and south. Noticed many appeared to be new deal ships without finished parking areas and not many signs. Perhaps it was a factory rep who took many photos.
    Our old Ford dealership in central Illinois has gone through many changes but the building remains fairly original as a muffler shop now. Back in the 60's I got brand new fenders and other parts in wrappers for around $7.50 for Model A's. Many parts were stored in an attic and left when the Ford dealer moved to "Auto Row" where so many car lots ended up.
    What seems so odd is most cities have fairly new car dealerships deserted when they again moved to a new "Auto Row."
    These were great. Even my wife, the non-computer geek, loved them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  19. the-rodster

the-rodster

Interesting how most of the mid-sixties and earlier dealerships also sold gas.

Wonder why they stopped?

Cool pics.

Rich

20. 35cab

35cab

For those who have not seen them, there are a couple of great books by Henry Dominguez, The Ford Dealership, volume 1 (1903-1954) and volume 2 (1908-1970) Some amazing photos. I have spent hours peering into the backgrounds.

21. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Always wanted to see Thatcher Ford..the 59 Squire I owned had their decal on the tailgate..

Sachs & Sons sold Deloreans too...:D

22. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

The picture of VEE Motors was in Middletown N.Y. Not Unionville. I bought My first car their in about 1960 I was 14 years old it was a 1941 ford pick up. When I was 15 I bought a 1955 Chevrolet with a bad motor. I put a new motor in the car and drag raced it at Dover Dragstrip. The building is still there but has not been a Ford dealer for about 5 or 10 years

23. Why not go take a photo before it's gone forever?,,,a then and now kinda thing. HRP

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

do you know if thats where these pics came from?

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

gotta love all the signage and the posters in the windows. I like pictures of the insides better than the outsides.