Register now to get rid of these ads!

Covell Extreme Metalshaping Class

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmcglynn, Sep 1, 2009.

1. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Thanks. That looked like a great class!!! Very helpful.:eek:

2. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

Great, thanks for your time to post.

3. BarryA

BarryA

Thanks for taking the time to post this - you've got a knack for putting things accross in a plain, easy to understand way.

Barry

4. studhud

studhud

Thanks for the detailed post we need more like this on here!
    Appreciate it.
    Dave Hitch

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Wow...best post I've seen here in a long time!

6. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Amen brother,Amen.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

LOVE the Seret Speed & Custom shirt!!!!!

8. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

One of the really cool things at the workshop is seeing Ron "metal finish" a part he;s made. Of course he makes it look easy, but he shows each step and explains what he's doing and how to judge the results yourself.

After he did the first pass of hammer/dolly work to work out the lumps from the clamp ring the fender looked fine, but if you felt it with your hand it had some undulations.

After the metal finishing process the surface was dead true, within probably a thousandth of an inch overall. Hit it with a D/A and 80 grit, one or two coats of primer and a round of block sanding, and it's ready for paint.

Ron doesn't sell these slappers anymore, but you can make one easily enough. The large, low crown footprint really helps when you need to planish a panel smooth.

[​IMG]

9. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

jmcglynn
    Thanks so much, great info. Slim

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to post and share Ron's class. I agree with you, every time you attend a class like this, you can walk away with new ideas and tricks.

11. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

thanks for taking the time to post this up, very well written.

12. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Thanks for taking the time to photograph and then detail in easily understood words what the master, Ron Covell, tries to tell all of us wannabe tin pounders. Your tutorial is the best I have seen here on the HAMB.

13. Erik B

Erik B

Thanks so much for posting this. I really need to take this class. Ron Covell is a truly nice guy. Bummer about the slappers. I have one and it's great and was thinking of getting another size.

14. woodbox

woodbox

Thanks so much for the time taken to post this up here. I went to one of Rons classes here in New Zealand a couple of years ago at Magoos shop in Masterton. A fantastic weekend away with a bunch of like minded blokes learning from the master hisself! :cool:

15. mosimpson

mosimpson

I keep eyeballing his classes but haven't taken any yet, even when they are in my own back yard :mad:. I have bought several of the DVD's (including the chopping & sectioning of your Stude) though. I have learned a ton from them, and really like that I can watch them over & over.

Thanks for the post I really enjoyed it.

P.S. - Who do all those tools belong to :eek:? Does Covell travel with that much stuff or do they all belong to Cotati Speed?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  16. Dyce

Dyce

Thanks for posting!! I have the Covell dvd on building the '36 fender. He does make it look easy. I made the buck and one fender. Very time consuming. I have alot of respect for Ron after that project...
    Jeff

17. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks for posting, great thread. Too bad Ron doesn't sell the slapper's anymore they work really well.

18. thanks for sharing. ron is a very bad man, so much talent. ive taken 3 of his work shops, its always worth the long drive and the money.

19. Phunkie Hiboy

Phunkie Hiboy

Thanks for taking the time to post this.Done 4 of Rons courses now.
    This year I was lucky enough to have him stay with me whilst he was here. A really nice guy.
    Last year he gave me the input to finish this trailer.....................
    [​IMG]

20. sic66chevelle

sic66chevelle
    from nor-cal

After reading this read on my first visit to this site i signed up for Rons next class in my area (SF Bay Area) at Brizzios Street Rods in SF . I'd been debating signing up for a few years now but after seeing pics and getting a feeling for what can be learned I had to sign up. So thank you very much for taking the time to share all the pics and info!
    On a side note I have several slapping tools that ive made that ressemble the ones Ron used to sell. All were made using scrap leaf springs (mostly off 70's chevy 4x4's i parted out building my lil beast) a couple i heated and bent a handle with oxy/acetelyne . Then cut the desired handle shape with a cut off wheel and to finish metal finished the face with a file and a grinder ,then a d/a etc. others I just used the leaf spring as the slapping facw and welded a steel rod on as a handle (much like Rons design) Hope this helps someone out .

21. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

thanks for the info

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome post! You and he both did a great job!

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've taken two of Ron's classes, and it's amazing how much you learn, and even better, how he teaches you that a big project is a series of very little steps... steps that when taken individually, are very do-able.
    In our class, he made a '34 Ford fender. Every step of the way, he'd say "Do you think you can do that?" And we'd all look at it and say "Well yeah... all you did was..." It wasn't until the very end when we'd say "well... with a lot of practice, we could do that." It's an INCREDIBLE confidence builder.

Another thing he taught us, that REALLY applies to every project in the shop, is this: Take the time to set up so you can work comfortably. If you are comfortable, you will be "fussy" with your work. You won't hurry, and you won't say "well, that's good enough."

Sometimes, it's the littlest things that make the biggest difference.

I really want to take some more of his classes.

-Brad

24. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

This is something I am scared to death of well kinda:eek: Takes mad skills if you ask me ?

25. reece

reece
    from NC

Another thing he taught us, that REALLY applies to every project in the shop, is this: Take the time to set up so you can work comfortably. If you are comfortable, you will be "fussy" with your work. You won't hurry, and you won't say "well, that's good enough."

The above statement is a very wise observation.

Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together. One of the best I have seen in a while.