Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chevy 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yaidunno, May 4, 2012.

1. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

I went and picked up a 3100 this week from an ad on craigslist. Im in the process of cleaning everything out and tearing it down. Im planning on a ford 9" on 4 links in the rear with a mustang II front end setup. Most likely running coilovers on all 4 corners. Its going to be chevy powered, but it wont be a 350, i want something unique that sets it appart. Possibly LS based power plant, but i wouldnt mind running an old carbed engine. I dont really know if the chassis should get sorted out first, or the body work/repair panels? The cab, front fenders, and hood will be acid dipped. The box is in pretty rough shape, so im going to be making a new one from scratch.

A little background on myself: i've worked for 3 years at a shop in Neenah, WI that restores Ferraris. The cars are nut and bolt restorations and end up as 100 point Pebble Beach vehicles. I've gained alot of fabrication techniques over the last few years that should help me make this build possible.

I admire alot of the work i see done on here. (im just a stalker for now) I've gained alot of inspiration and ideas from the HAMB, which is fairly easy to do when im on here every night. This seems to be a place with loads of knowledge and im glad to be a part of it. I'll keep this post updated with progress of the build.

-Bryan

Attached Files:

2. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

For my own entertainment...

Attached Files:

3. Ratbuilder

Ratbuilder
    from Indiana

That all sounds like a bad idea. You should probably just sell it to me. jk, Do the chassis first and get it safe drive it and do the bodywork while its on the road. Looks like a sweet project.

4. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Thanks. Thats the route i was leaning towards.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your plans for the chassis sound like pretty standard procedure and should make for a nice driver. The engine choice while not the least bit HAMB friendly would be a hell for reliable engine that will run like a scalded cat down the road and maybe pull decent fuel mileage to boot. And you can always chain the hood shut if you go to. Events where non traditional engines are frowned upon. AD trucks look like hell with the hoods open anyhow so keeping the hood closed is a good idea in my book.

6. shadams

shadams

Cool, looks like a decent starter truck from what I can tell. Check out my build thread for plenty of pics and PM me if you have any questions. Not pro by any means but I have been on it a while...

7. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Thanks a bunch guys. I know the engine isnt really traditional, but im looking to be able to take this thing on some road trips and not have to worry about it. So far i've got everything out of the font of the frame except the engine. The thing weighs a metric ton. I'll have to borrow a cherry picker to get the thing out.

8. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Keep us posted with pics!

9. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

I've been making some pretty decent progress lately. Got it down to the bare frame. Hauled away 820 lbs of scrap steel, not including the engine. Frame will be getting blasted tomorrow, and heidts crossmember will be in soon. Still searching for a rear end. Im looking forward to starting the build instead of tearing down.

Attached Files:

10. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

11. Nice work on the frame. I'm jealous. :)

12. D-man313

D-man313

Dont you just love that feeling when new parts show up

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Going for super low with that rear frame section! These trucks are fun to build and drive! keep w the updates

14. syracusegli

syracusegli
    from ny

love it, looks great

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice work on the frame and your kickup over the rear axle may start a trend. That is slick.

16. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Looks good. What's the story on the Plymouth in the background?

17. Something different from a 350?

How about sneaking out one of those Ferrari power plants?

Just a thought.

Good work

18. Awesome to see another AD on it's way back to the road. Just got started on my '51 GMC, I'll be keeping tabs on yours!

19. dragrcr890

dragrcr890
    from salem, wi

Hey! I just bought a 49 3100 and I'd like to do something similar on the suspension but I may just end up with bags.. I'd like to pick your brain on some ideas I've had, I'd say your 6 months ahead of me and many thousands too.. I live in salem, not too far from you. email me if you could [email protected] , if i can ask you some pretty ignorant questions.

20. c6_rob

c6_rob

Lookin good!

Are those rear notches yours or a kit. I just finished my IFS so Im getting ready to start the rear.

Are you going custom or kit on the rear suspension, I was just wondering whos 4 link you were going with, Im leaning toward No Limit or Gambinos, not sure yet.

21. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the replies! I'll do my best to answer all the questions.

c6_rob: The notches are something i drew up in solidworks and had laser cut at a local fab shop. I really cant believe that nobody makes something like this. I just got a trianulated 4 link from Ridetech last Friday that will hold the rear end in place.

dragrcr890: Congrats on getting the '49! You'll probably be better off sending me a PM on here if you've got any questions. My email is pretty hit or miss on ending up in your junk mail.

gassersteve: While the spare 250 engine sitting at the shop would make a wild retrofit, its a bit out of budget haha. I ended up going with a Chevy LQ9 engine. LSx based 6.0 liter with iron block and aluminum heads. Got a set of Wiseco Pro pistons, H beam rods, Cam and the usual external mods set up for it. Should be good for 450 hp im hoping. It'll be mated to a T56 tranny thats being shipped up from Texas as we speak.

stuart in mn: the plymouth is my old mans project. its a '53 thats been widened 4 inches, made into a convert, rides on air. the dash, firewall, front half of the frame, engine and power plant are all from a dakota donor truck with a 318 and 5 spd.

22. big tap

big tap

man you are doing a great job. i'm actually looking to get my front suspension done. where did you get your front suspension kit from? keep posting pictures...

23. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

24. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Front end was from speedway. its pretty nice stuff. heres a few more progress pics. starting to slow down a bit since im running out of money for it lol. the engine is at a short block stage, waiting for my cam selection. tranny should be together sorta soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  25. Snarl

Snarl

looking good.

Another triangulated 4 link option for those on a budget and are willing to cut up the rear frame is to use the back half from a late sixies Chevelle. I saw this done on a '54 once. If the 10 bolt rearend isn't good enough for you, then take the money you saved and buy a 9" housing from Moser, Currie, etc.. that's made to fit into the Chevelle...

26. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Here's some updates for those interested. This wont be your typical LS engine. Coils will be hidden under the '50s chevy valve covers, ignition module will all be hidden, and its going to be fed with a new 750 DP carb.

Attached Files:

27. shadams

shadams

Looks pretty freaking sweet so far. So are you just going to fit those old valve covers over the coils and exisitng LS valve covers? Thats a good idea..

28. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

What gas tank is that?

I think you have learned well grasshopper....

;)

29. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Nice work! And here I thought I was going to have the only 1950 chevy, mustang II, carbed LSx, manual transmission hauler!

Attached Files:

30. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Shadams, yea the chevy covers will be mounted over the stock LS valve covers simply to hide the coil packs. I'll have to put some holes with grommits for the plug wires to come out through. I've added a 3/4" skirt all the way around the perimeter of the cover to fill the gap.

53COE, the tank is from Tanks Inc. I don't recall which model it is, but i do remember its just a generic tank they have available.

Leevon, seeing your carbed LS engine is pretty much what sealed the deal for me. I was on the fence about doing a EFI setup but really like the clean look of yours. Great looking truck you've got!