Register now to get rid of these ads!

henry j floors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

anyone have pics of custom floors? id like to see how they are mounted to the frame,im not using the stock tow boards and installing a cage...

2. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

not a single hit?

3. ryno

ryno

Maybe it's the tow instead of toe?
    That's all I got buddy,just a smart ass response.

4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Mine has rotten floors but it's 50 miles away so I can't even take pics and share that. Interested to see what you do. Please post your work.

Devin

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Custom Floors or Original? I have a Original J in the Garage that has all the original bracing and Brackets .. would pictures help? I can take some.. maybe it wont help.. Who knows..

6. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

i think getting hung up on the specific bodystyle of Henry J's will limit your selection of GOOD examples of how to do this. in reality its not that different from bodystyle to bodystyle but there are plenty of examples that are poorly done.

one of the best i have seen recently is a current thread; Quain Stott's Gene Cromer Moonlighter Ressurection

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730747

also check out Kiwi Kev's Bad Habit Willys

part 6

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345400&highlight=nasty+habit+willys+part

and part 8...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456207

oh heck, check them all out

good luck

7. Build a 1" tube frame skeleton welded to the rockers and lay sheetmetal or alum over it and build a round or square trans/driveshaft tunnel. Bolt or weld the frame to the square tubing. Beed roll or bend an X in each panel to keep oil canning at a minimum. Look at race car (Chris Alston) floorboards online to get ideas.

8. ryno

ryno

If that's what your looking for, like kieth said,check out the last few pics in my studebaker thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747510&highlight=ryno

I thought you wanted pics of stock henry j stuff.
    Just got a new bead roller if ya need to do some beads.

9. These were done by some previous owner down the line before me, looks like a truck bed floor grafted in the back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

up front is a good size trans tunnel made out of several pie shaped pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

11. alumslot

alumslot

Check out this site it has lots of Henry J builds. It helped me to get started on my floor rebuild. I'm not using a stock frame so I've got lots of idea's from this site. Good luck

Jim

http://www.henryjcars.com/choose.html

12. Hey;

I don't have a Henry J, but I've helped my friend with ideas for his. He was keeping the step for the seat so he had to work around those.

You want to make a floor from scratch so you may not have to worry about the hump for the seat.

You do need to maintain the original integrity of the body mounts, and how they tie in to the rockers. You don't necessarily have to duplicate what is there, just maintain it's original purpose. Sometimes the best way is to copy the original the best you can.

Once you are clear on tieing in the body to frame mounts properly you can make everything custom fit. I hope this guides in some way. I can't conveniently post any pictures right now, and I would probably do it differently than others here.

I figure my answer would be better than dead silence.

Doug.

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I started with 1X2 crossmembers as well as 1X2 following the contour of the frame in the rear. A previous owner had cut out the floor, the wheelwells and the firewall. I also started with a Tanks Inc. gas tank in the floor. Mine is a no trunk model so this gives me an acsess hole to work thru.

Blue

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    Chucky likes this.
  14. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

lots of good stuff here....i didnt see how they where mounted to the frame...

15. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thank you zig zag this is what i was looking for ..

17. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

this is what ive done

Attached Files: