Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guilt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Thanks for sharing Ryan. We all go through lows in our lives at times and thrashing on a hot rod can definitely be a part of the therapy. As others have mentioned, I don't know exactly what it is you are going through, but will be praying for you man.

2. Nothing like hammerin' a hot rod to make ya forget everything else! Going to a gun range is second. Hang in there, Ryan.

3. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Ryan, Like the sign on the back window of my coupe reads " LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" .

I believe in that totally!

4. I didn't read through all 7 pages but remember this. Just when you think your life is shitty or miserable it helps to come to the realization that there are a lot of people much worse off than you. It works for me. Keep your head up and the pedal down.

5. You feel better now? Good! We've all been were you are right now and each of us must find our own way back. It's a bitch, but it looks like you're on your way brother. God speed.:)

6. "Tough times don't last; tough people do".
    7 years since my son passed. I still feel a little sad every day. I try to say something nice to a stranger who looks stressed or in pain every day.

7. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Sounds like all was forgiven after the ride?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. It's hard to make sense out of life but an old car makes perfect sense. Ahhh...finally! Shit you can deal with. Let me offer this:

The ride is short, man. Just live. It's what's best for you and those who love you.

9. Chris F100

Chris F100

Time and friendship heals all......stay the course and you'll come out fine...

10. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I think God blessed you with a love for old cars,and he blessed us with your writings.

11. Thoughts and Prayers Ryan......
    Hot Rods ARE therapy. When my wife took ill I started BUILDING my truck, NOW I DRIVE that truck to her memory. BOTH building and driving help right my mind.

God Bless you !

12. Abomb

Abomb

The hardest my old Harley was ever wrung out was on the way to the funeral of my MC club sponsor / substitute Dad. The trip started out at my normal 5 over the speed limit, and ended up as several miles of triple digit speeds over blind hills, waiting to see a tractor with bale forks on the back magically appear as I crested a hill....or a cop.... I would have punched either one that morning.

I know the feeling. Mechanical therapy is a good thing, I arrived safely, managed that funeral procession involving a couple of hundred motorcycles and a muddy road to the graveyard, and thanked my Family, my Club, my friends and my bike for helping me through it all.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  13. I don't know what to say that others haven't said, but I've been there too. 2008 was the year from hell for us. Hope you and yours have a swift recovery.

14. Qdanj

Qdanj

I'm old enough to realize see the wave of life. Nothing be it good or bad ever remains the same and eventually find the "Ok" in whatever our situation is.
    You'll be fine and knowing all these folk above me care has gotta add up.

15. Ryan,
    When we were all little kids we were taught "big boys don't cry" and, we were taught to deal with our personal pain by ourselves. Bullshit. I can attest to the fact that it's a bit hard at first, but you need to let your friends, and I'm betting there are just a few, into that pain.
    There is strength in numbers, and a very real part of friendship is helping carry your bro's load when it gets to be more than he can carry by himself.
    I know when I lost Crissie, I was like a little boy in the grocery store without his mom. I have consumed more alcohol in the last year than in all the 64 years before.
    Then I found out there were people I never expected to be there ready to haul the weight. When I was having trouble putting one foot in front of the other, the sprint car guys stepped in and drug me along until I could stand up on my own.
    You will get through this. You have friends to help. Believe me.

16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

The skinny pedal is my psych.and I think you just checked in on yours ... Ive been in some of the darkest hours of my life before and that skinny pedal brought me back to the center.... Old cars rule !

Feels good to be alive.....

17. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I wish you could give this simple, yet brilliant information to the whole world. Faith and a hobby....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. eightbanger

eightbanger

Amen. Tomorrow is a new day.

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Lost my wife to the big C 8 years ago, sat around and moped for about a year and then I found the best new wife in the world, likes old cars travel and accepted my family. We now live the best life I can ever want. Keep up the faith. John

20. afaulk

afaulk

Hot rods are theraputic outlets, working on them, driving them, skinning your knuckles, whatever. Sounds like you had a good session. I hope and believe things will get better for you. Best wishes.

21. oaktree

oaktree

God bless you Ryan. Your Mom and I could not have made it thus far without you taking the lead. You are the best son I have ever seen. I think all men yearn for the day when they see their sons stand tall and take all the good and bad that life has to offer with grace and dignity. You may be down right now, but you are also strong and tall. We have had a horrible tragedy, but if we cling to each other, we will get though it. You are not alone. Love pop

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

^^^That is awesome! Made my day reading it.

23. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Mine too, brought a tear actually.

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

dads are awesome.

25. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Ryan......hear me out before you click to the next post.....all of us go through loss and frustrating times in life we can't do anything about...it's like being in a tub filling up with water and you can't even reach up to turn the water off...it's a horrible feeling....all of us have our place to mentally go...drive a racecar like we didn't care if we lived or died, riding our bike so fast we can't read the gauges.......I've been there...I also use my cars as theropy...Some days I get in my Hot Rod, and ride around all day visiting old friends and driving down roads I haven't been down in 50 years.....I call them "I Love Donnie Days"....my wife understands I need them sometimes......but I also have another and it's my Faith in God.... He knows what I'm going through ..I can talk to Him...he don't always talk back or answer me, but I know He's listening.....I had a guy give me a piece of paper many years ago that I've given to many others during a time of loss ....here it is for you.......
    "THE MOST CARING CHILD"
    Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child. The winner was a four year-old child whose next-door neighbor was an elderly man who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap and just sat there. When his mother asked him what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just helped him cry."

your Hot Rod Brother, Donnie Tanner

26. glad your getting back.....hopefully you'll be up for a good bit....a little junk yard hunting always seems to help me....

27. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Ryan I'm a relative newcomer to this forum, but I have already felt a kinship with you and others here just because of the love we all share for old cars...

Whatever is troubling you, don't let it defeat you. I've had some pretty dark days in my life as we all do, but in time I always seem to get through them and things look brighter.

Sending good vibes your way. God bless.

28. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Wow, in the midst of tragedy you all have something to be very proud of. I hear my owner Father in this sentiment. We lost my 27 year old sister and mother of 3 children right before Christmas 2 years ago, and I was suddenly thrust into the role of only child and counselor. Today my family is stronger than ever. Whatever your family is going through it's evident by your Dad's words that you are not going to be broken by this.

Prayers to you all.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  29. mikew

mikew

I have never had the opportunity to meet you Ryan, but wish I could give you and your dad a man-hug right now. Good luck.

30. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I know exactly what you mean. I've done the same thing before, once on my Harley, once in my mustang. Just start it up, let it warm up just enough, and but the living crap out of it intending to break something. Then you eventually get to a point where the machine HASN'T given up on you. So you just turn it around and head back home a little more thankful than you were a short time before.

Good luck Ryan, Hope things get better for you.

John