Register now to get rid of these ads!

do i have some bad clear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblock292, Jan 8, 2013.

1. yblock292

yblock292

Just got done flaking an engine for a buddy of mine, got it reinstall, had a gas leak and puddled on the intake, wrinkled the paint immediately, lifted down to the self etching primer. Used Nason clear, properly catalized. Its old clear, can it go bad after a while?We pulled the intake, having it stripped and will reshoot but with new clear.

2. hd4unm

hd4unm

I don't know about Nason specifically, but many catalyzed clears/paint need time to cure enough to be gas proof, 30 days or more. Even then I'd never let any puddle up. Risky on an intake. I don't think it went bad unless you had seperation in the can that you could not mix.

3. yblock292

yblock292

Thanks, thats kinda what i'm thinking it was only about a week since i shot it. We did run the engine but only for a few minutes prior to the leak.

4. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

hardner for the clear will go bad

5. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Yes but when it does go bad it will take a long time to harden, if it is completely gone the clear would stay soft. It will feel dry to the touch but if you were to press it hard it will leave a finger print, can be pealed off with a finger nail.