Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need input on new shirt design

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Jan 7, 2013.

?
  1. Multi color

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Simple with stripes

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Simple oval

25 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Delete if its naughty....

Anyhow, been thinking of a new shirt design for a while. So please give some input on what you like.

#1 Ive been using this design or a close variation of it for a while. Been printing it on white shirts. Might go to a darker color and swap some print colors.

[​IMG]

#2 Closer to last design, but now going to a 1 color and a gradient. Something simple. Will most likley be printed on a navy blue shirt with ivory ink, or black with white.

[​IMG]

#3 straight out and simple. I get tons of comments on my "old crow racing" shirt thats a similar simple style. Will also be printed on dark shirt with light ink. Not sure if its "pinstripe" enough though

[​IMG]

#4 Oval with stripes as suggested...
    [​IMG]

Any input appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. I like the 3rd one....I don't think the tribal art pinstriping in the background compliments the logo head and lettering. IMO

3. pdc

pdc

How about do your pinstriping design as back ground, then put the oval logo on top of it. If that makes sense.

4. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

None of the above. Start over with a talented graphic artist.

5. You offer lettering and then use simple standard fonts. If you can't see whats wrong with that first one.......
    Use a font of your own design to show off your talents as a graphic designer, not fonts that you type.
    My input..

6. edweird

edweird

nothing personal, but they just aint grabbin me.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Hotrod, I suck at figuring out how to get hand lettering into photoshop type layouts, but good idea.

Edwierd, thats why Im asking for input.

Not wanting anything too flashy. I see some that are too busy for my taste that might be more popular, just not my bag though.

Anyone who wants to take a stab at one go ahead, If I print it ill make sure your name is in the design still.

8. This is nothing personal. He asked for input, and anything not honest is worthless.

9. edweird

edweird

cant you just paint something on a flat surface and have it digitized. i've done that before for customers and it turns out great.

10. edweird

edweird

this is very simple, but i painted this for a customer on a licsense tag. he carryed it to the printer guy and had t shirts made from it.

Attached Files:

11. hd4unm

hd4unm

I like edweird's idea. You need to show off your own work, not someone else. Just decorate and letter up a show panel on a space in proportion to the space on a shirt. I'm outside of Denver and will shoot it for you high resolution that can then be produced in many different outputs. We can trade for something. Just PM me if you want to go that way.

If there is any clipart in this I won't do it, just pushing you to be better at your craft.
    Tip; better to use one font, maybe two, I count 4.

Dave

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

none of the above. no true free flow. too rigid and not thinking outside the box.

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Definately needs to be hand lettered and then scanned or whatever.

The fonts just aren't working for me.

ESPECIALLY because you're a painter.

I would go with a simple layout thats bold and to-the-point without too many add ons.

14. Can't sleep so I will add some more.
    Learn to design your pinstriping on the computer in Illustrator in vectors so that it isn't pixilated. If you use Photoshop to design your pinstriping, kick up your DPI to 600 to get rid of the pixilation, it looks terrible and amatuerish.

15. yeah.
    to be honest, everything you showed kinda sucks to some degree or another. there is hope for a couple of the designs, but if i was asked to print any of these, i would refuse the job.

i'm not trying to be a prick, but if i saw any of those design on a tshirt, i'd look for another striper.

i know that not everybody has the computer skills to put ideas into print. i second the above recommendation of finding a solid designer to help you refine your design.

like i said, there is hope for some of the designs, but they just look generic, and amateurish. nothing a solid designer can't whip into shape.

or better yet, learn Corel draw or Adobe illustrator!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  16. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

i like number 4

17. kustom65

kustom65

18. Number 4. Are they just for you and your crew to wear or to sell. I'm not buying.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. That's exactly with I did when I had the T-shirt's made for Brenda's Flower Shop. HRP

20. Of the four you have here, I like #2 the best. But you may want to pay for some pro ideas if for no other reason to make you feel better about your final decision.
    A really good calling card is going to draw, pun intended, a lot of business and be worth the investment.

21. Well I don't like the color of it. :D:D:D

Sorry I just wanted to say that. Am I supposed to pic one?

I lke to see as much of the rabbit as I can so maybe whatever one covers the least of the tatoo is good for me.

22. ditto.............

23. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Jeff if you're just pimping your business i like to last 2 (on the back of a shirt) But if you're are selling your talent i would like to see a 'real' stripe job on the shirt {if that makes sence?} you do great work! are ya gonna sell these? + white shirts for greasey guys?:eek:.......Chuck

24. I'm back.
    After looking at all your choices, I would take #2 and loose the "head". Then I would center the lettering over the stripe, do the lettering in white, do the stripe in multi color, and have a pro clean up the design for the printer. Put in on a black, or navy shirt. The stripe would "pop" behind the ad.
    You are advertising the fact that you stripe, and inmyarrogentopinion, the "head" graphic takes from that thought.
    OK, I'm done. At any rate, good luck!!

25. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm in agreement. I'd like to see you rethink the entire design. If I had to pick one, it would be #3. Perhaps a few pinstripes around the oval, versus putting the oval over the stripes. None of those fonts are working. Make the head smaller, I think it's too large. Gearhead Graphics should be centered, but the head is pushing it over. If you're not familiar with a font called Copperplate, check it out. Nice clean block letters, all caps. Definitely make a design that can be printed on a black shirt.

26. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here's two and a half cents worth from a graphic designer. Yes, hand lettering would be better also I'd consider integrating the pin-striping into the design. Instead of putting your graphics and lettering on top of a generic pinstripe design, come up with your basic layout then add pin striping around it just like you would add striping to a car design.

Need any help digitizing your design give me a shout.

27. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Jeff,
    Not trying to beat on your artwork, But They All pretty much suck!!..However, If you like it and do not plan on selling them, Then that is all that matters..But If I was looking for a pinstriper, And I saw this on your business card or T shirt, I would keep looking. Anyhow You Ask for input, Here it is! about as honest as I can be.

28. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I would expect better from an artist. HOWEVER, I do like a simple design every now and then. One of my favorite shirts is a MOON shirt with just MOON and their address in standard font. But they have a solid rep. So....

The third one needs something else for lettering. I illustrate and went to design school. None of my instructors would have let me get away using standard fonts.

You're an artist! Show us!