Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y block powered '32 Fords, post your pictures and thoughts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubba67, Jan 6, 2013.

1. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I'm putting together a chopped '32 5 window coupe, mid to late 50's style. Contemplating installing a Y block for power.
    Are there any pros or cons ? Power output ? Size(lenght) issues? Please post pics of '32s with Y blocks. Thanks !

2. Clark

Clark

I like the Y blocks. I used to like Nailheads till I built a Model A for Bill that had a nice little 292. After that I sold my nailhead stuff and started collecting Y block stuff.

Y blocks are a little long and you'll have to flatten the center of the 32 firewall. If your motor sits low there is a cool waterpump that has a fan that mounts on top of the waterpump.

Sorry I don't have any pics. Bill has a 32 sedan with a Y block and we'll be putting one in the Gibby & Dripps Bonneville 32 roadster.

Speed equipment is not hard to find. There was supposedly a 2x2 intake made by Edmunds but nobody has seen one. I have a 2x2 from australia and a homemade one.
    Clark

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Y-blocks are the shit! I love em! DO a 312 with a six pack edelbrock or fenton valve covers mallory yc... then You can store it at my house !

4. Tacho

Tacho

Spank some rams horns on it...uh..huh

5. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Do it! They are the coolest looking, best sounding V-8 ever. Contrary to what the sbc guys say they are reliable, make good power, and respond well to hopping up.With six twos on top, those things are pure sex. Dont get hung up on having a 312. 292's are more plentiful, hence more reasonable to purchase, and are a stronger base for a build. Bore to 312 size, and drop a 312 crank with mains cut to 292 size, or better yet a stroker, and you have something that will move that little Deuce right along, and best of all its a FORD. ECZ-G heads or the new Mummert aluminum heads and a good cam and prep work and you are good to go. y-blocksforever.com and Bruce Young's Y-Block Magazine are helpfull. As Skidmarks said, the truck timing cover is helpful and necessary if doing a Hurst mount,looks traditonal, but I have seen it done with the passenger side mounts as well. The truck pan should work and is cheaper but the T-bird pan is better but $$.Keep us posted on the build. As soon as I get through a few things I got one going in my Model A. FWIW Ford won more NASCAR races in '57 than chevy. 84 to 48. Not too bad for an era when stock was really stock.

6. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

7. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

Like This?

Attached Files:

8. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I like them...got a 292 3x2 and a Hunt mag.....do it......

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

the fellas from Rolling Bones also have a y-block powered deuce that they run at bonneville you may want to check out

10. I have driven across eight States and two Provinces with mine. Super super reliable! Costs a bit of change to make 'em perform though.

11. This was mine in 1960.
    Looks much better with the three carb setup.

Attached Files:

12. mow too much

mow too much

Looks great David.

13. I love Y blocks, I have a bunch of neat shit squirreled away for the right build. Someday....

14. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

We believe Keith has the fastest -Block in the world 183.742 mph. in a 32 three window. Just two years ago he was running his version of a STREET engine in his coupe making many cross country trips and making a 137 + mph pass with ease on the Maxton mile on a 135 limit .
    Keith built his street engines but turned to Y - Block expert Ted Eaton of Texas for his race engine which puts out over 540 hp and has proven to be reliable making a couple dozen passes during the past two Bonneville's.
    Keith engine is currently back at Teds who's looking for a few more horses while Keith is making a few more wind cheating changes to his coupe.
    There is also a y-block magazine which I think is a quarterly.
    I can't get my pictures to upload on this but I'm sure there is somebody out there that may have pictures of Keith's coupe that can

15. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

The red 5w i got from you will have a 292 mated to a 39 box. I may move the radiator and axlethe forward to make room instead of cutting so much of the firewall.

16. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

They look kinda long in the water pump area, how much do you typically have to set them back into the firewall to keep the radiator in the stock location ?

17. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Thanks Ken, I'm a huge fan of Keith's coupe as well as the rest of the RB's cars. I hope to get up to see you guys at the shop night next month.
    If anyone has pictures of Keith's engine in his coupe, please post 'em.

18. A couple of my pictures from this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Thanks for posting the pictures Dave ,
    There's another guy Tim McMaster who runs a y-block in his pickup at El Mirage and Bonneville who is really fast, Maybe some of you have pictures you can post

20. Tacho

Tacho

Dont know where the hell a shot is of his epic Y block, but here are a couple from '12. Got some pics during the HAMB BBQ. McTim is super knowledgeable...the one guy to weigh in on the pros and cons of your project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  21. Another from last year...
    [​IMG]

22. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

S.B.C. guys, yeah what the hell do they know?? Susie's Butt is Cute!!

23. no55mad

no55mad

Can anyone comment more on the fit in a 32?

24. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

I put a 292 y block in my 40 coupe with an S-10 5 speed with original banjo rear. And I love it, the sound, the look on people's faces when you pop the hood and most don't know what it is!!

Attached Files:

25. I've started collecting Y block parts, I found a nice '64 F100 for the base, but I think it will go great with a '30 coup.

26. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

Like some one metioned the Y block is a little on the long side.
    When I first built my 32 I had stock length hood,& had to do some set back to the stock firewall.
    A few years later,I did a "re-fresh" & added 2 inchs to the hood, & ran stock untouched firewall.
    In its Bonneville race trim,still has 2" added to hood,& 109" wheelbase.
    This helps it stay straight @ 183.742 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairlane500 likes this.
  27. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

Hi Lin,
    Your car looks as good as ever.
    Keith

28. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

thanks keith, I appreciate that,now if it would just run like yours eh?

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Isn't this Keith's Y block when it was at York many years ago now?

30. Yeah, I like Y-Blocks! Can't help much with a '32 but I'm currently building a '30 Model A around my old Dragster engine. Chassis is by Derrek Boling at Boling Bros. Early Iron. http://www.bolingbrothers.com/

Of course there's the Unibody too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]