Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Loppy's 55 Chevy Belair Wagon Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Loppy, Dec 4, 2011.

1. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

Thank You! The roof rack off a VW bus I had to cut it down a little because it sat to high. If you look at some of my earlier photo's you can see how high the rack was before I lowered it. Good Luck on your car and it sure is on BAD ASS build you did. Congrats......

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice 55 ! Call me a wacko but I even love the ugly pink color it originally was:D Heres a pic of my brothers 55 Delivery that I did alot of work on for him (hope you dont mind the hijack!)...hopefully I can get another 55 project someday!

[​IMG]

3. Butch M

Butch M

very very cool nice car thanks for the pic's love them 55 chevys.......

4. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

[​IMG]nice sandals hippy

5. Loppy

Loppy

Was in Cali, whud'ya expect?

6. Loppy

Loppy

Koolkemp, hijack, schmijack, it's all cool, all bumps are good bumps. By the way, the original color was Navajo Tan and India Ivory. I miss the hell out of the original patina, but the Florida humidity was kill'n it, so it had to be restored.

7. Really cool wagon Loppy!

8. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Great job! Tom White, who you bought the car from, is a good friend of mine. He'd be proud of what you've done...He still has a nice 55 Chevy convertible and a 57 sedan delivery he needs to finish. Seeing his old wagon oughta give him the incentive to get workin' on his stuff.
    Craig

9. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Loppy now whatcha gonna do that the wagoon is done?
    It did turn out incredible...

10. davidh73750

davidh73750

how do you like the rack and pinion? One guy in town has one on his 57 and he said he steering radius is not as tight as it used to be. I don't know if he's using stock a arms or not.

11. Loppy

Loppy

Get a job and pay for this shit! Looks like my '64 C-10 survivor is up next...if I can bring myself to altering it.

12. Loppy

Loppy

Love the Unisteer rack and pinion. Steering is tight and responsive. True, turning is a little wide(r), but nothing major.

Thinking back at the installation. The tie rod end's they supplied had short(ish) tapered spindles and where not long enough to go through their steering arms. Weird! They supplied a plastic insert type lock nut. When installed the threads didn't come all the way through the locking material. I didn't like that. I contacted them about this, then went out and got longer tie rods. From a Dodge Omni none the less, yep you read that right. They have castle nuts and worked perfectly, safer too. I also had to cut off about 3/4" of threads at each end of the rack. Typical shit with our hobby. The A-arm's I used are from Global West. Nice units. In the end, it all worked out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

very nice work, really turned out well.

14. Nice, although I liked the patina of the original paint.

15. Kenny P

Kenny P

Very Sparkley! :)

Hah, Hah, looks amazing Joe!

16. Loppy

Loppy

Thanks Kenny P, I have the recipe to fix you up right ; )

17. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

This makes miss Florida !

19. Movinman

Movinman

We are all still waiting for you to get back down here for a visit! What the hell you waiting for, Mr. White?

20. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

21. Loppy

Loppy

Yep. Added some skinny whites from Diamond Back. Love them. They run great. I tried wide whites but didn't like them. The skinny's fit the theme better. Here's a shot from this past weekend at the Billetproof Florida '12 show. Getting ready for the Lonestar Roundup. Stay tuned...

[​IMG]

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It looks even better in person y'all.

23. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

This thread and the wagon makes me jones for a 55 of my own.

24. c57heaven

c57heaven

how did I miss this thread?
    Nice job on the car!
    How did youmodify the air cleaner bottom?
    I have an extra and think it would be a neat/practical idea to copy.

25. Beautiful job,,the car looks great! HRP

26. boutlaw

boutlaw

It looked killer at BP 2012, glad I found this thread to see its transformation.
    Frickin Beautiful!

BOutlaw

27. Killer nice

28. Loppy

Loppy

The air cleaner fab was easy. Take 1" flat stock (or more for clearance) and bend it into a ring with the ID measuring 5 1/8. Check that it slips over your carb and sits flat. Flip your old air cleaner bottom over, center the ring on it and trace the OD. That's your cut line. After your done cutting, align the two pieces tack, then finish weld.

I replaced the old oil bath filter with
    a K&N filter with the addition of their cover that's a filter too. I made a long center stud from all thead to go up through the K&N filter and up through the old air cleaner top. One wing nut was threaded all the way down to hold the K&N, then another to hold the old air cleaner cover.

The holes on the side of the top cover I just popped with a hole saw. Felt better to have more air flowing in, and it looks cool too.

I'll get some pics up soon.

29. Loppy

Loppy

UPDATE!!! SELLING MY BABY!!!

Yep, you read it right!

Ok peeps, here's my deal! Time for life changes! Buying a house, actually a house built in 1955, go figure! And, starting a business, that's actually experiencing growing pains already, which is a good thing!

After building and enjoying my wagon for years, I've been wanting to do another project for sometime. Combined with these new life changes I'm needing the moola to help with the biz, and make necessary improvements to the house. I'll actually will be running the biz out of the house so will be killing-two-birds-with-one-stone here.

That being said, I would seriously consider any serious cash or cash/trade offer for a runnining/driving/stopping beautiful face, flat stomach, tight ass, great rack.....whoaaaa wait a minute, different story....vintage step van!!! Ya, I want a vintage step van for the biz as a delivery/mobile food truck.

So, how much? You've read this thread, so it's soul is exposed. Nothing to hide here. This car was built right, and thoroughly. I built it for me with no expense spared, and with passion.

I'm feeling a fair price is $55K.

Contact me by private message here on the HAMB, or you can can call me at (561)389-2279 to discuss.

30. davidh73750

davidh73750

that thing is so fresh and clean. Looked at it a lot when you were at Laquinta last year at lsr.
    I picked up a project bel air wagon 55. I didn't realize how few bel air wagons that made compared to the 210. Good luck