Register now to get rid of these ads!

pontiac gas tank help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinball, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Pinball

Pinball
    from lowell, mi

Before I even start I will state "I HAVE DONE THE SEARCH THING".

The problem I am having is finding a replacement gas tank for my 1950 Pontiac. It didnt have one when I got the car so I have no basis for comparing to another for size. I have not been able to find a "pontiac" replacement, does anyone know if the chevy & pontiac are close enough in size to work? i dont want to put a fuel cell in it or a boat gas tank.

Thanks for any help,
    Chris

2. Streight8

Streight8

Have a look at Tanks Inc. They make lots of older Buick and Chevrolet applications. They have the dimensions and pictures on their site. You might be able to find something there. I am going to stick my neck out and say if it is a lhs side fill and fairly flat then one of the Buick Tanks might work. Mine came with the fill tube. In the B-1 series "
    Tank’s, Inc. B1 series of tanks are available in 4 models that are basically the same with the exception of the filler neck location These tanks fit a wide range of cars in the 1941-54 Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and more vintage models. Although they may not be an exact replacement with slight to no modification they will work in many GM applications where a 0-30 Ohm fuel sender is used. "​

3. A Chevy may well work, but they're narrower because the Chevy has a spare tire well on the right side of the trunk. I forget if the Pontiac has that.

4. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

according to Hollanders Interchange 49-52 Pontiacs are the same for the cars,... the station wagon and sedan delivery will not fit,...also 49-52 chevy cars are the same but will not fit the 49-52 Pontiac....it does not say why the chevys don't fit....Miller

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

grab a tape measure and head for the junk yard

6. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Really happy with the TANKS unit I just put in my COE.... Grab a tape measure and head for the TANKS site.....

;)

7. FWIW, squarebody Chevy Suburban, Blazer, and 95-back G-van tanks have the filler in roughly the right place, if you could find the smallest tank offered it might work.

8. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

My 53 uses a 1967-68 Mustang tank, mounts into trunk floor and doesnt interfere with stock spare tire well. Just a suggestion.

[​IMG]

9. my girlfriends 50 pontiac has a nice size dent in the gastank shortly after she bought it we ordered a tank for a50 chevy from chevies of the 40's ....not even remotely close to being the same as i thought surely theyd be identical

shipped it back to them got the refund and bolted her tank back in ,,, its still there dent and all