Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakeside Speedway, Lakewood, Colorado

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DiggerODell, Jan 5, 2013.

1. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

Here are some pictures of the 1/5th mile track I took at 44th and Wadsworth, Lakewood, Colorado in 2007, where the old track still sits and rots. I used to take my kiddos to the races in the early 80's. It closed down approx. 1987.

Attached Files:

2. I passed by there quite a bit when I was back in Denver. Shame to see it like that. My old man would tell me a lot of great stories from there.

3. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

If those pits & stands could tell the stories!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

No doubt Sparky . . . broke my heart that day I walked completely around the track and through the stands seeing what (at the time) 20 years had done to it. I probably took about 90 photos that day in and around it. It's funny, just west of the track, Lakeside Mall came long after this track and has already been torn down with new businesses being replacing it. I guess the way I hear it the lady who owns this property just isn't selling.

5. That's what I heard.

I wasn't around while the track was up and running, but was pretty bummed when they tore down the mall. They would have a great model car swap meet every year there that I really looked forward to as a kid.

All good things must come to an end though. Thanks for the pics.

6. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Thanks for posting those and that sure was a fun track to watch races at.

I'm probably wrong but doesn't "Grease Gears and Guitar"s have footage of Lakeside in it??

The copy I bought last year at Sabers won't play in my dvd so I don't know for sure.

7. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

If I remember right ,The track closed after a car went into the grandstands , killed a lady and injured a child.Me and my boys went to the races there. Small track but they use to haul ass around it with chopped down 30's old coupes and sedans.

8. In 1973 we raced mnii stockers at Lake side, We had a VW with a2180cc engine in it. It was sponsered by K&K Motors, a VW shop on Old Hampton blvd.

Lee

9. guido`s 40

guido`s 40
    from nebraska

I have a few memories of the track and also watching fire works on the fourth of July being shot from the middle of the lake, If I am thinking of the right place

10. Inmate85031

Inmate85031

This is thrack that Sprint car driver Doug Wolfgang was severly burned at on April 3, 1992. A lot of controversy regarding that crash as he had signed a waiver before entering the track.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wolfgang got hurt at a different Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City.

12. Inmate85031

Inmate85031

You're right Rootie. My Mistake. Still sad to see any racetrack fall by the wayside.

13. Looks like it was a cool old track.

14. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Did you sneak in?
    The bicycle cops chase me away when ever I go anywhere near it. They kicked me out when they found me in their bone yard, just north west of the track.
    Great pics, and memories. Thanks

Also, I may be wrong, but doesn't Rhoda Krasner, the park owner also own the entire town of Lakeside? From Sheridan Blvd. west to Harlan St. and from 44th Ave. to I 70.

15. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I used to go every Saturady night and watch my firends like Mike Barney, Rick Losh, Bob Herring and the Casterelli's (sp?)-

Lots of good times and a lot of good old tin was wasted there-it's a shame the lady that owns Lakeside won't bring it back, but with the Insurance Regulations now and such...........

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

17. moracing

moracing
    from arizona

my dad and his dad raced there many years ago i as a kid loved going and watching the races and after the races they would open the pits so we could go check out all the race cars ... i had a quarter midget at the time i got to take it there and show it off was a great memory .... thanks for sharing "diggerodell"

18. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

In fact I did LSR . . . sneak in. I parked on the east side of the track just south of the Lakeside amusement park . . . and just walked into those stands like I knew what I was doing . . . finally found an access to the track itself and just wandered around taking pictures for about an hour. I admit I didn't know if what I was doing was illegal or not . . . I guess if I had of, I'd have stuck out like the northstar . . . ha! Sometimes, ignorance is bliss! As for the owner Ms. Krasner, I have heard she does own the entire Lakeside property (old track, amusement park etc.) . . . but Lakeside itself is not a town, it's just this particular section of the city of Lakewood.

I will try to reduce the other photos I took and post them in a collection on my profile in time . . . it's really amazing walking around and feeling the ghosts of all those chopped down modifieds from years back . . . listening to the Handsome Family sing "Peace In The Valley Once Again" on my IPod . . . eeeeeery stuff ;-)

19. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

20. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

21. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

This is a newspaper articles about the spectator death and the closing of the track. It's from the Rocky Mountain News, 9-2-88.

Attached Files:

22. colorado51

colorado51

Wow, great pictures! I grew up not too far from there, we used to go to the races about every other weekend. On the weekends we didnt go, I could hear the cars racing in the distance.

23. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

Brings back some nice memories. My Father and I used to go to that track along with Englewood Speedway back in the 60's and 70's. We had some good times there.

24. eppster

eppster

I always heard about Lakeside but never made it to see the races. Did go to both Sportsmans Raceway and Pikes Peak Speedway in Colorado Springs and Beacon Hill in Pueblo. I think both Colorado Springs tracks are long gone,

25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Went to an Airstream Rally at Lakeside park this past summer and it appears that there is a move to update and renovate the rides and park. They were talking about using some of the space north and west of the grandstands for an RV park.

26. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

27. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

And yes, she does own the "town" of lakeside as far as I know. And yes, it is a town. Even has it's own keystone cop police force, haha. Right up there with Mountain View police in terms of usefulness.

28. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

29. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

That is wild! Learn something new every day . . . Thank you. I have lived in and around that area for 30 years, I didn't know this . . . had to google it after reading your post . . . here is a link to the wikipedia on it . . . Population 8 . . . that is rich!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeside,_Colorado

30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I was led to understand that the majority of Lakeside income is generated via traffic tickets!