Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag racing and 3 speed truck transmissions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Butcher's Shop Customs, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

The vehicle is off topic, but the question isn't necessarily. I've got a 1970 C10, SWB stepside. 350, 3 sp manual, Hurst shifter on the floor. The rear is a 12 bolt, 4:11 gear, "one tire fire".

My only racing experience has been on the street, and long before this truck. We have a new drag strip opening this season, and I'm planning to try my hand at bracket racing.

The time it takes to shift from first to second is huge, second to third is quick. Anybody have any first hand experience drag racing a three speed truck? Or do you just do a second gear holeshot?

2. dr dodge

dr dodge
    from tomball tx

I could never get the hang of it on my pu (360 3 speed(
    the old dodge would always break loose into 2nd gear no matter how gentle I was.

it was fun though

dr

3. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

That's the way mine is. Low gearing and skinny all terrain tires don't handle hard shifts very well!

4. R Pope

R Pope

Why is it so slow shifting 1-2? A good floor shift set up right should bang shift quite quickly. If it hangs up or tends to "bounce" off reverse it needs adjusting.

5. Might still be column shift ? I've hung up a few trying to power shift front 1st to 2nd.

6. He says it a Hurst floor shifter.

7. What year is the transmission? HRP

8. Figure out what your 1st and 2nd gear ratios are. You may want to go with a less steep rear end ratio or play around with a taller tire. You don't want to smoke 'em up too much off the line.

Bob

9. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

The trans is the original 3 speed. The tires are 235/75/15 BFG A/T's. so they're about 28" tall. Played with it this morning, dumping second from about 2500 works pretty good! But definitely could stand to pull both rears. Traction is an issue!

10. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

What dragstrip? airport,gleason? Be careful its addicting and anyone who says bracket racing is easy never did it or they raced people who couldn't drive.It will be hard to stay consistent with no traction and a manual tranny.

11. Traction is always an issue with a pickup truck. I raced alot of saginaw 3 speeds over the years, be sure that you don't miss a shift and if you are going to be bracket racing your Et doesn't matter as long as you hit it every time. Find something that you are comfortable with and do it exactly the same way every time. practice, practice, practice.

Your other option is to do what I do, build it and plant someone else's ass in the seat. I don't see that being an option for you.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. PackardV8

PackardV8

Next to impossible to win bracket races with a one-leg-three-speed. You'll get mostly get beaten by the posi automatics. Those guys can just foot-brake, watch the tree and floor it.

jack vines

13. How'd I miss that, must have gotten up to early.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

You gotta tuff row to hoe, with the clunky 1-2 shift & one wheel burnin', goin' bracket racin'. Runnin' on the # is the deal though. Practice & have a ball.

15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Been there, done that. Took years sorting out shifting and traction. Spent waaay to much money. COnsistantly lost to guys with stock automatic cars that would run the same ET over and over again. Sucks getting thrown out first round every time. Pick another vehicle or drop an automatic and a posi with slicks on the truck.

I'm stubborn enough I still run a manual, but it's not a truck tranny and I can now drop my clutch a 6k and hook, but my chassis has the benefit of being car-based with readily available chassis parts.

Devin

16. warrick

warrick

My dad ran one in his 40 chevy couple in mid 60s. Best I can find out he had a TALL gear and launch in second win his share of races. Been trying to figure that one for a while.