Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kinda vises are you guys using??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StayGold54, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Columbian vises made in Cleveland. I have been hammering on mine for 40 years, make sure it is malleable iron not cast iron whatever brand

2. randy

randy

Not mine, but about the coolest one I've ever seen. Apparently out of the original Bugatti factory in Italy...

[​IMG]

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That is beyond cool

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. I need another vice !
    Busted the head right off the shaft todat !:eek:
    3" cast iron shaft too

5. StayGold54

StayGold54

Hey fellas, UPDATE: I just picked up a vise today from a local guy. It's not a bullet wilton, but I think it wasnt a bad deal. It's a Wilton 645 5" vise. Think it was from the 60's-70's. Made in Illinois, USA. Not sure if its cast or not. But it weighs about 35-40lbs.
    Picked it up for 40 bucks.
    Works perfect. Needs a cleaning and a paint job, but no cracks. Not a bad deal aye?

Attached Files:

6. Looks like a good deal to me. A lot of the Wilton's don't swivel, so I think that is a personal preference. I prefer it to swivel.

7. Nice!!

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

9. StayGold54

StayGold54

Yea I prefer the swivel as well. I like that fact that the vise has a cool little anvil at the end for shaping. Gotta make some small patches on the floor of my 54 so it will come in handy.

10. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

If you anchor it to a bench take the time to set it up so the rear jaw face is just outside the front edge of the bench top even if it means fabbing an adaptor plate. Allows clamping longer pieces vertically that way. I was in a hurry and wasn't thinking when I bolted down my well over 50 year old inherited farm vise, will be a major priority when I change the bench top from wood to steel.

If you intend to do much hand filing or sawing, setting up the top of the jaws to about elbow level will work well.

A set of V'd aluminum vise jaws with magnets to hold them in place was one of the best $20 investments I have made. Bought 'em and work well for their intended use in making up AN lines. Have found them to be very handy and use them all the time for holding small round stock and protecting soft material from vise jaw marks.

Ed

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  11. Kind of a vise accessory, but might help someone out...

Here's a little piece I invented and we teach the students to make for holding round tubing in a standard vise. Holds like a MO-FO and will not mar the surface of the tube. Just take a piece of tubing that is a nice slip fit over the piece you are working on, and weld a couple small plates to it. Slice the tube open between the plates.

Slide the project tube in and clamp the plates in a vise.

Obviously, you'll need a different size for each O.D. of tubing you're working on...

Attached Files:

12. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I gotta agree about avoiding swivel vices. The most important feature of a vice needs to be rigidity and you lose that with a swivel feature. Watch CL very closely and find yourself a large basic simple antique vice and you'll probably leave it in your will to your offspring someday.

13. iamdiffrnt

iamdiffrnt

Nice score on the vice, looks like it will last longer than you will.

Oh yeah, 6 1/2" Wilton bullet, and misc. garbage vices floating around. At work we have literally tons of the old bullet vices, and the only thing I've seen to stop them is broken base rings, but you can buy replacements.

14. injunjoes

injunjoes

I always wanted a Wilton bullet but never wanted to shell out the money for one. Fortunately I was able to pick up a 4.5" one at an auction, thankfully everyone just though it was an old vise and it came home with me. A new set of jaws and she works like a champ

15. I have a "Chas. Parker" vise that was my grandfather's, probably more than 80 years old, still does fine....:)

16. Bought two new Record vises about 40 years ago, a rigid mount $30 and a small drill press unit $8, still going strong.

17. I have a nice one from the late 40's or early 50's that my father-in-law "borrowed" from Detroit Edison-

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

My recent $120.oo CL vice ... cast but would smash a HF vice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven’t had a chance to change the top of my stand yet

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Mine is a Chas. Parker, too.

Blue

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D For a nice,cheap no mar set of liners for your vice do what I did.I made several sets of liners from the sheet lead like the phone companies used for the
    lines.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bugatti table, The table was built from a picture of a table used in a Bugatti display in Paris sometime in the 30's complete with 4 original Bugatti legs.
    Four seperate original Bugatti legs.
    [​IMG]
    Original grande vice,

22. indyjps

indyjps

I've got 4 old no name vises, all beat to shit, didn't pay over $20 for any of them at auctions, I clamp stuff up to weld in them, so they take a beating. One of them was broken in the past and previous owner plated each side, bolted and welded it back up, it runs true and is pretty interesting to look at. Wiltons are the way to go, I just haven't run across a decent deal yet. Won't be welding on it when I find one.

23. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

Ripped my buddy's cheap'n nasty vise in half last week heating and bending some steel. If you can hold off for an older vise and pay a little more.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Neo Dutch

Neo Dutch
    from OZ

Inside:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside:

[​IMG]

25. rustyangels

rustyangels

Whoa, whats the story behind that design?

26. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

Wilton is the only choice for a real vice, they others are just disposables.

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This here is well clever. You have no idea how many times this sorta thing would have helped me. :cool:

Nice indeed.

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The hell! This ones win :D weird as fuck. But looks beefy.

Mine's a 5" York btw. I heard their made in germany, but its a czech brand, and it swivels, but unless the bolts are loose it wont move a millimiter. For what it cost it has to be good, being a 100E for a 4 incher.

29. I'll see your Wilton and raise you a Parkinson. Mine is over 70 years old and going strong.