Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saginaw transmission crunchy first and second

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devin, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I just finished setting up my shift linkage in a rebuilt Saginaw 4 speed. For the most part, everything went well. It seems as though the first and second gear shifting ( through the shifter, the car is not running yet) is not nearly as smooth as third and fourth. It feels rougher at the shift arms on the transmission too, not just the shifter. Any thoughts as to why this could be?

Thanks

2. Buddha Doll

Buddha Doll

Did you rebuild it or buy it that way? Sometimes they get sold as rebuilt, but only get the end synchros and dogs etc. replaced and not the centers. If it was mine, I would take the cover off and shift it through the gears with the forks (just remove the forks from the side cover) and try to find a burr or other imperfection while having someone slowly spin the input shaft so you can see the whole goings on inside. Also does it have any lube in it yet?

3. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

In would get it running first and then see how it is......might be fine

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Manual transmissions usually don't shift well with out vehicle motion or the engine running. As posted get it running. You won't be able to know if you have a problem till then.

5. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I did open tHe side cover and saw all new synchros, gears have no chips and assembly lube still on them. The trains has been filled with 75 w 90 lubricant. I will see if things improve when the car runs. It's just weird that 3&4 shifts so smooth but 1&2 are really notchy.