Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Iowa Dragstrips - New & Old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Calkins, Mar 6, 2010.

1. That would be Cy Chesterman. I believe that dream has been put to rest.

2. Also, a man has bought the old Lee County Drag Strip and is planning on bringing it back to life!!

3. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

4. In the early sixties I raced my "55 Pontiac Chieftain with a '57 engine and spd. at Humbolt. The strip was new then and 1/4 mile. I'd tow my buddies '31 model A coupe(b-altered) with it then race both of 'em. We lived in Mason City back then.Great memories:)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. sportyworty

sportyworty

Hi Justin

Have you ever heard the story of a 68 Mustang that was wrecked at Neita in the 70's? The driver was killed sadly. I am trying to do some research

6. 24riverview

24riverview

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    AHotRod likes this.
  7. iarodder

iarodder

Hey all, i don't know much about all of the different tracks, but I ran my truck at the iowa speedway a few times. It was a bit hairy at the top end... hit the brakes hard and turn left fast. I think that was the demise of the dragracing there:( The racing was short lived, it only lasted for 2 seasons as the interest died quickly, my guess was the shut down and the track managers didn't want to work with the drag racers much. Pretty much was what they said when they said, and some of my friends ran there faster than mine and said Eddyville was better suited for the faster rides, best I ever ran was 89 m.p.h. and I was all over the place with bias ply mickey's. Still a blast while it lasted, I've heard rumors of the 1/4 mile at the iowa speedway also but nothing ever came of it...

Attached Files:

8. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Terry Stumpf was still racing into the 90's His fatal accident was May 28, 1990

Could it be this guy? Doesn't tell what car he had:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50690395

Here is another site that may be of use to you in your search:

http://dragstripdeaths.webs.com/

9. thedreamer

thedreamer

Great information. Goes to show Iowa isn't all cattle and cornfields.

10. BobG

BobG

Rumor around here in Central Illinois is the Lee County Drag Strip in Keokuk is being renovated or is about to be...and will be opening back up.
    I heard yesterday they were making the track surface a little wider and pouring new concrete.
    I hope the rumors are true.

11. BobG

BobG

Here's picture of the Lee County Drag Strip as it's sat for the past several years.
    Nice little track.
    I was booked in there once in my old Charger Funny Car back in the mid 70's, I remember staying at an old Mom & Pop motel not too far from the track and having breakfast at some little cafe on the main drag down town.

Attached Files:

12. sportyworty

sportyworty

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

Aaaahhh.....memories.

14. I spent sometime the past 2 days reading this thread. Its great reading all the history of the Iowa drag strips.I liked the response "Nice to know we are not only known for cattle and corn".
    The Groves Boys willys did it ever run a ford cammer. I noticed it has semi- hemi on the lower front center section? Is the car still around?
    What ever became of Merrill Frosts willys sedan? And what kind of times with the small block ford? I know the times picked up with the hemi.

15. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I'm not sure where the car is at now, but the old Grove Boys Willys is still around. I was told a couple years back that someone hunted down the remains of the car and is in the process of restoring it to it's former drag racing glory. I believe the car was found out in the desert(AZ? NM?).

I'm not old enough to have known Jimmy, but I met Jerry several times. He and my Dad have known each other since the '60s.

16. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I was wondering if anyone knew when the name of the dragstrip in Humboldt was changed from Western Dragway? I have an old bumper sticker that says "Western Dragway Humboldt, Iowa" and am just trying to figure out when it is from.

17. eppster

eppster

To answer thedreamer , Iowa has more racetracks per capita then anyother state in the union . That would include ovals and drag strips and has been true for many years. I believe that statement was made by Hawkeye Racing News.

18. I believe that is true, one of Cy's sons is an old pal, I will check.

19. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

Met a friend of a friend that brought this willys back, from Arizona, and saw it as he was attempting to restore it a couple years ago, but have since heard it was sold again.

20. plymouth4free

plymouth4free

Our family did a lot of jr drag racing at Tri-State, and then I ran high school once or twice. Always nice folks, did a great job for the racers, great place to run

21. CSMMOORE

CSMMOORE

What about Denny Kolda??? Does that name ring a bell with anyone? Campaigned a AA fuel car at Nieta late 60s early 70s...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  22. oldtimer75

oldtimer75
    from iowa

Todd Moore, i sure do remember Fritz & Dennis ,i seen dennis a cople of weeks ago i do have i pic of the car on a run with me and the driver was Bob Havalicek an old partner of mine on a A/C
    Leon Evans

23. oldtimer75

oldtimer75
    from iowa

todd, i don't know how to resize the photo sorry . it was at cedar falls and bob was driving for dennis that day, as i remember the car was destroyed in mo. the engine was about all dennis saved
    Leon

24. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Just talked to Jerry Grove today. He said 'The Gladiator' Willys is now in Illinois owned by some guy who has like 14 other Willys. He apparently just sold the Opel that they raced after The Gladiator.

25. Jeff65SS

Jeff65SS
    from Iowa

26. That was pretty cool. Awesome to see the Gray Ghost in there, too.

27. lpreston

lpreston

I have been scanning pics of my Dads VW and am researching each pic. This was from Cornhusker Raceway, probably 1970. I Googled Merrill Frost and found this thread. Thought I'd post up the pic.

[​IMG]

28. Welcome! Post away!!!

29. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Would love to see any more pics from Humboldt Co. in the '60s or early '70s.

Also, I posted this once before, but does anybody know anything about this car?

Attached Files: