Register now to get rid of these ads!

Butt welding made easy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Dec 7, 2012.

1. titus

titus

Thats what i do, works nice.

2. 1nos487

1nos487
    from east TN

Thanks for the tips, really helps a rookie.

3. How might I use this method and technique on the sectioning and stretching of a 60 C60 LCF truck hood that I hope to extend in length another 14" and change into a 60 C10 hood?

I was going to use portions of a 66 hood that I have for the sides but haven't figured the top & middle out just yet...

Excellent tech - thank you.

bob

4. Bigdavid

Bigdavid
    from Tennessee

I really like that approach to patching this HAMB outfit is awesome I've learned a lot lurking around on the HAMB
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. fiddychevy

fiddychevy
    from pa

Great idea. Thanks for sharing

6. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I am not a welder by any means but this i great information for us guys that use all the tips they can get!

7. docmike

docmike

Note to self......

Doc

8. RangeRansom

RangeRansom
    BANNED

great info for us new H.A.M.B.sters!!!

9. boutlaw

boutlaw

Just finished some patch panels on the F1 fenders, wish I had seen this tech first. Great idea. thanks for posting.

BOutlaw

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

Sure, now you tell us! Really, that's pretty slick.

11. This thread sure is helpful to me. When I start patching the cab on my COE, this will help a lot. I have never patched panels before, I'm new at welding anything much, only having my first mig welder a year or so & using it for od jobs around the house so far. But my cab is off frame now, I've already cut out a couple front corner patches, which this method may be two late for these, but I have a real long section along the back bottom of the cab that this method should make an easier panel to work on. I am always watching for these kinds of helpful tips. It makes me want to jump in @ start on it while it's fresh in my head...
    Thank you for the thread fitzee, keep it up. I would like to add you to my list & hopefully be able to ask you for guidance later as I start patching & working my sheet metal back in to shape, if you don't mind???

12. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Great thread thanks for sharing. Stiill can't figure out how you make it look that good. I am attempting to butt weld my first patch panels. How much do you planish each spot weld? I am using a wire feed with .023 wire, cutting the panel with .040 wheel. Very little gap. spot welded 1 inch apart I grind down the spots and hammer and dolly, then spot weld again next to the previous spots all the way around the patch. and I am still getting a little wave, or high spot. Am I hammering the spot welds to much?
    Very frustrating

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  13. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Anymore tips?

Attached Files:

14. fitzee

fitzee

well first off I dont hammer the welds.. when you hammer the spot welds will distort the metal around it.. I try not to push on the metal or pull it while welding..I prefer to let the metal sit at rest when welding.Ill work the metal till it sits where I want it then weld it. you can hammer weld it after it is all welded.. If I can I will weld the back side of the panel where I can as well.